• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Chair vs. Gondola?

sullydog

Whats the advantage of a 4 passenger gondola, ala Loon, as opposed to a HS Quad or 6 pack?

jerryg

If you can take some cold temps and it's only for skiing, then there is no advantage. There may even be a disadvantage, especially in Loon's case where the lift is slow comapred to most HSQs.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I don't think it has anything to do with capacity.

They run it in the summer for the tourists, rain or shine. It's also a nice marketing differentiator. Makes it seem like they have something special.

deadheadskier

Staff member
year round capability

I think Wildcat has the right set up by running their lift as a chair

truthfully, from what I've read a Funitel would be the ultimate ski lift for many northeastern mountains, but the expense is too great. They apparently can run in winds of 100 mph. Not that I'd want to ski in such high winds, but most chairs shut down around 45-50 from my understanding.

bobbutts

Loon Gondola is almost all disadvantage vs. HSQ in my book.
It's slow, low capacity, and you're forced to remove your equipment.
The upside is that a significant part of the crowd is waiting in line for it, so other trail and lifts have less people.
I don't like riding it myself, but at least Stratton's gondola has big capacity, so it eats through the line better.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Loon Gondola is almost all disadvantage vs. HSQ in my book.
It's slow, low capacity, and you're forced to remove your equipment.
The upside is that a significant part of the crowd is waiting in line for it, so other trail and lifts have less people.
I don't like riding it myself, but at least Stratton's gondola has big capacity, so it eats through the line better.

That's a skier/boarder's perspective. I'm with you. But.... They get good money from leaf peepers who like being able to walk on, sit down, close out the cold but still enjoy the slow ride peepin at leaves. - Up and Down.

If you look at the gondola as a sunk cost, a fixed asset, fixed maintenance, they want to get as much return$$ from it as they can.

Some resorts even run their gondis at night to parties on top. I was at quite a party at Steamboat Thunderhead one year. Wouldn't want totally juiced partiers coming back down on anything but an enclosed vehicle!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Hmmm...this + question about amount of time to cut a trail + question on NELSAP about time to erect a lift = where are you installing a new lift? If not you, who and where? ;)

sullydog

Ahh I hate to dissapoint, but I'm just looking for info for my little fantasy world that I'm in during classes. Sorry.

SIKSKIER

I do everything to avoid riding a gondola or tramway.Always hated being crammed in staring at other people.I didn't mind riding the bubble chairs back in the day.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I do everything to avoid riding a gondola or tramway.Always hated being crammed in staring at other people.I didn't mind riding the bubble chairs back in the day.
I suppose you wouldn't like gondolas in Europe, where they shutter all the window and break out the smokes. You'll leave with ciggarette burns on your jacket and a smell that doesn't leave for weeks...:evil:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Ahh I hate to dissapoint, but I'm just looking for info for my little fantasy world that I'm in during classes. Sorry.

Seems to me you need one of these:
-45452705275338501.jpg

Which reminds me, I have to get mine back out and set it up in the office again.. :daffy:

sullydog

Seems to me you need one of these:
-45452705275338501.jpg

Which reminds me, I have to get mine back out and set it up in the office again.. :daffy:

Oh my god YES! And i was just considering a chondola, it's for Waterville Valley though. is a chondi too much?