• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

champagne powder

frapcap

8" or so in Westport- the Southcoast of MA. Wishing some of it would blow up to the mountains.

Wavewheeler

What do you do to enjoy it? Growing up on the shore I wanted the wetter snow, it was better to make snowballs with.

I go snowshoeing and take my Jeep out in it. It's colder and drier too, not that damp cold that you get with wet snow, which tends to ice up and just become a slushy mess. Plus it's MUCH easier to shovel and clear off the car (when it's not blowing around).

Not to mention it's better to ski in! But also to just walk around in and enjoy.:)

I just hate winter here. It's usually damp and disgusting. I just hate humidity in general. I'd rather cold and dry than damp and wet.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Some of the lightest, fluffiest powder is coming down hard now in central NJ. I just shoveled the driveway and sidewalk and when I was done another 1 1/2 " was on the ground. The good thing about it being so light is that it was easy to shovel. The bad part is that if it gets windy it is likely to blow it right back onto the walk. Reminds me of Utah powder.:grin:

I was going to say come to Alta on a blower day. It is amazing.

SnowRock

i don't think it has an actual meaning. It's a marketing thing that is supposed to make people want to ski at steamboat.

I've always just assumed they used Champagne because the dry styles (Brut or Extra Brut) are probably what most people think of when they think of Champagne.. so a dry sparkling wine for dry snow.