• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Changes to WV Green Peak

dlague

I'm not even sure you can count that as a trail. To be sure it may be the most exciting lift serviced run in NH, but there are many years when it never opens. No snowmaking, huge boulders, etc. I first skied Cannon in 1969 and last season was the first time I skied the Tramline T2B. Even with all the snow last season, it still took some skill to avoid some of the outcroppings.

Agreed - my brother in law worked there for several years and has skied there most of his adult life! When I asked him about that trail he said that it is rarely skiable and even with a huge dump if not careful it can really end up being a bad day!

Savemeasammy

I'm not even sure you can count that as a trail. To be sure it may be the most exciting lift serviced run in NH, but there are many years when it never opens. No snowmaking, huge boulders, etc. I first skied Cannon in 1969 and last season was the first time I skied the Tramline T2B. Even with all the snow last season, it still took some skill to avoid some of the outcroppings.

I only skied cannon once last year, so I guess I was lucky to catch it open. Hopefully it opens again this year. It is a fantastic run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

machski

Waterville was in its heyday back in the 80's when the WC circuit came thru and had the races there. That drew crowds both as spectators and a draw for skiers as it was a WC race mountain. Once the WC went away from Waterville, they lost that promo and the mountain had to stand on its own. It couldn't, so it has been in a slow decline ever since.

Green peak would be something, even if it gets a fixed grip. They need to expand anyway they can, and they need a good longer sustained beginner/low intermediate area than just the wide open valley run off quadzilla. Loon will be adding the South Peak Learners pod soon now that they have forrest service approval in hand, giving Loon the one thing they have needed to add. A true learning pod. (Note: the plan for that is 2 FGQ (likely loading carpets too) and South Peak base will move to the base of these lifts at the end of the bridge.

Green peak as planned is not the crowning solution. The green link to the village would be a boost only if the village is built uo more first. But the true mountain needs more terrain on the bigger vert to ever make Waterville truly attractive. I'm not sure where that leaves them if they can't expand into the steeper and longer vert of Tecumseh proper.