• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cheapest way to ski at Mt. Sunapee on a Saturday?

New Daddy

For next year, I'm thinking of buying an Epic pass, instead of Gunstock season pass.
I like many things about Gunstock - beautiful lake views, bearable lift lines, drive, eating options in Tilton, etc. -, but we've skied there for too long.

Is there a cheap way to check out Mt. Sunapee on a Saturday before I commit to the idea?

chuckstah

Buy an Epic....or pay the money.
Skied Sunapee today. Pretty much sucked, at least there was no one there. Could not imagine going on a Saturday.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've spoken with several guys in my Pat's Peak race league who are Sunapee regulars. They have not had good things to say about the place this season. Anemic snowmaking and overcrowding have been the Chief complaints

Juntaclause

Find someone with an epic pass to give you a buddy pass when they go on a Saturday.

snoseek

If you're a weekend skier maybe have a look at Ragged. Sunapee on a weekend sucks

Killingtime

I skied there on a Sunday and it still had long lift lines but sometimes you just have to suck it up and make the best of it. Its a nice mountain with great views and you will have a good time. Just lower your expectations about how much vert you will clock in. Also, I think the bar is cashless if I'm not mistaken so bring a credit card.

thetrailboss

Staff member
What is it about Sunapee that you are “desiring” to ski? Terrain? Location?

What terrain do you like? Any distance limitations?

Last edited:

jaytrem

I figure the only reason somebody would want to switch to an Epic pass in the East is if they plan to use it in the West.

New Daddy

I've spoken with several guys in my Pat's Peak race league who are Sunapee regulars. They have not had good things to say about the place this season. Anemic snowmaking and overcrowding have been the Chief complaints
Thanks for sharing that info. There hasn't been a ton of snowmaking at Gunstock either this year.
At least I don't think Gunstock is overcrowded.

New Daddy

our criteria: location, vertical and skiable acreage.
Distance-wise, Gunstock, Sunapee and Ragged are probably our outer limit.
Waterville or Loon adds another 20 minutes, and it makes a difference on the way back behind the wheel when fatigue sets in.
We ski mostly groomed blues and blacks.

Edd

I marginally prefer the way Sunapee flows and skis to Gunstock but I’ve grown fond of Gunstock over the years.

Otherwise I agree with everything said here. If you’re a weekend skier, Gunstock will be a better experience.

Newpylong

I would never choose Sunapee over Gunstock on a weekend either but with that said: you're going to have a similar crowding experience on weekends at Loon as Sunapee but get a lot more skiing in and their product is superior. I'd think the extra 20 minutes is well worth it.

You will get a LOT more vertical in at Ragged than any of the above mountains on weekends (both high speed lifts are typically ski on anytime but Sat AM), but may become bored more quickly. I continue to be blown away at the number of Massachusetts plates in the lot on weekends when there are other larger players at a similar distance to the border. Apparently, there are plenty of non-locals who appreciate the non-corporate feel of the place and how well run it is despite the smallish size.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Thanks for sharing that info. There hasn't been a ton of snowmaking at Gunstock either this year.
At least I don't think Gunstock is overcrowded.

I disagree with that as a Gunstock pass holder. I think they've done a good job when they've had the weather. They had more terrain to offer than Sunapee during Christmas week as an example. They have very few snowmaking trails left to get open.

I'm a former long time Peak / Epic pass holder. For me, my 7 and 4 year olds, the combination of Gunstock plus Indy has been a very positive experience compared to Epic. I may in the future go to Gunstock plus iKon to mix it up. Or maybe add a few Epic day passes for their NH properties. Zero chance I go back to Epic full time unless I see a vastly improved snowmaking effort by Vail and a greater effort to limit crowds. Gunstock has been better with both those attributes the past two years.

Newpylong

Sunapee 33/67 - 49% open
Gunstock 35/59 - 59% open

This is skewed a little because Sunapee has a few more marked tree runs but still, I think it shows Gunstock is doing a good job.

thetrailboss

Staff member
our criteria: location, vertical and skiable acreage.
Distance-wise, Gunstock, Sunapee and Ragged are probably our outer limit.
Waterville or Loon adds another 20 minutes, and it makes a difference on the way back behind the wheel when fatigue sets in.
We ski mostly groomed blues and blacks.
OK. That helps. Yeah, Ragged might be worth your time to check out. Especially with having Jay Peak access now for bigger trips. Although Jay is not at all a great "groomed blue or black" mountain.

And if distance was not the limiting factor, I'd say check out Sunday River or Sugarbush with your criteria. Sunday River has great snowmaking and grooming but not as much vert. Sugarbush has vert but generally not amazing snowmaking.

Bumpsis

I marginally prefer the way Sunapee flows and skis to Gunstock but I’ve grown fond of Gunstock over the years.

Otherwise I agree with everything said here. If you’re a weekend skier, Gunstock will be a better experience.
Just my 2 cents here - I also think that Sunapee flows a bit better than Gunstock (I like them both), but only when all trails are in play. Especially for Sunapee. I just checked their report for today and they have only 50% of their terrain in play. I'm keeping an eye on this since I have a limited Epic pass which I bought for day-tripping to Sunapee. At this point, with the weekend crowds, you could't pay me to go there - hard pass on that idea. With the snow they got and what's projected for Sunday/Monay, it probably won't be enough to bring more trails on line. They really need to step up their snow making.

Edd

Not super relevant, but Gunstock skied like an absolute dream today, way better than I expected. They left quite a bit ungroomed. I imagine they’ll sell out all weekend with the new snow, but they keep ticket sales in check. I forgot what skiing snow felt like. I cannot wait for Utah in 10 days, I need it bad.