• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Checking skis at the airport -Need advice

hammer

DV is just one of those areas where so many people that haven't been there before just go in with a certain preconceived notion that it will be all just buffed cruisers, Bogner suits, and lots of extra touches offered service wise (and it can be for sure), but it's also got plenty of really well designed falline trails and a decent amount of ungroomed bowls and tree skiing that is some really good stuff, and tends to change some of the preconceived notions that one has. Lady Morgan Bowl is one of my favorite areas, the only thing I don't like about it is the exit, where you have a LONG flat to deal with before popping back out just below the top of the Lady Morgan Express (then again after the trek out, I always use that as an "excuse" to make a quick stop in the Empire Lodge and reward my physical activity with one of Deer Valley's pastry chef's phenomenal offerings :)
FWIW when I went to UT last Feb DV didn't groom out everything on a powder day...there was plenty of ungroomed to explore.

I can see how DV may turn off "core" skiers but if you want to fight with the powder Nazis elsewhere go enjoy...if I'm going to pay and take the vacation time with family to go skiing I don't mind having decent amenities and fewer crowds and I can usually ignore the posers. I liked PCMR but the vibe there made me think of an upscale Wachusett or Loon...not the best of places to be on a vacation week.

tekweezle

one of the interesting things about Deer Valley is that they had a valet/greeter take my skis of the UTA bus for me and put it in the rack for me. don;t know if they still do that but that was pretty funny.

other than that, nothing wrong with the resort-it wants to be the Stratton/Vail of Utah. Terrain is okay and gets the same good Utah snow. if you want to a have a pretty basic plain vanilla good time, Deer Valley is not bad at all. Lots of people paying lots of money don;t want to be surprised.

abc

one of the interesting things about Deer Valley is that they had a valet/greeter take my skis of the UTA bus for me and put it in the rack for me. don;t know if they still do that but that was pretty funny.
Not funny at all for me. I was expecting it when I got there on one Februry afternoon (got off the plane and got a free ticket for showing my boarding pass). Only to find out they're not there any more!

When you arrive at the mountain at 12:30, even if it's a free ticket, you want to milk every single minute of the remaining day! Dropping off the skis was my plan. Then park, and run back with my boot bag. Except there's no greeter there! (I skied there a few years back so I knew they were there in the morning). Fortunately, I found parking not too far and was able to walk back to the lodge with skis pretty quickly.

snowmonster

^ The DV valets were in full force when I was there in mid-March. Picked up skis to and from the lodge. I didn't use their services though. I thought there were other folks that needed their services like families who have a lot of gear to lug. Nice but not essential.