• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

children on mountins

Im a high school student in upstate new york and im doing research for class called Engineering Design Development (EDD). I snowboard very often at mountains such as gore and white face and a problem i cross all the time is little kids pop out of nowhere and i almost run into them or they almost run into me. I would greatly appreciate it if you took guys/girls this survey and give me information to work off of.
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BYCH5NZ

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
This seems awfully timely as we just had a post on this.

PS: Does your teacher check your survey? There are quite a few typos in there.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
It came through moderated and I debated approving it .... last year we got some of these survey monkey students as well..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
The survey is so short. The time frame for how much experience one has with the sport are too small to be of consequence.

Finally, and most importantly, I don't find it hard to see kids on a slope...At least not harder than anyone else on a slope. If one is skiing or riding on an open trail, skiers and riders of all ages and sizes are reasonably expected to be on the trail and you need to be able to ski and/or ride in a manner that you can avoid striking other people.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I agree, I don't have an issue with seeing kids. I mean fort he most part anyone against a white snow background is easy to see. Awareness is key. Would I be less likely to run into someone if they were wearing a huge blinky vest or had strobe flashers on? I don't think so.

Huck_It_Baby

The survey is so short. The time frame for how much experience one has with the sport are too small to be of consequence.

Exactly. The questions can't possibly gather enough evidence to be conclusive. The survey needs to be heavily revised before I take part.

The only time children have ever been a problem in my experience is when their parents aren't watching them in a park and the kiddies are standing around in the landing of a jump which can't be seen from above. I have come close to landing on a few little guys before and I blame clueless parents.

Take a look at this video. Exactly what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxg_H1Ok6pQ

NotEasyBeingGreen

Sometimes the best way to learn survey design is to just work through a number of them and figure out the kinds of questions that would have improved your data. I think it's great when a kid incorporates the things they like into learning.

LiquidFeet

going-down-mountains,

Your survey is getting some "interesting" responses. I hope you do not take offense. The people reading on this forum have MANY years experience skiing, and see the issue a bit differently than you do. Your questions on your survey could use some revisions. I have a suggestion for you.

Start another thread and ask the forum membership what questions to ask on your survey. You might be surprised how helpful these folks might be. Then repost the survey on multiple ski forums. Best of luck!

JimG.

Staff member
going-down-mountains,

Your survey is getting some "interesting" responses. I hope you do not take offense. The people reading on this forum have MANY years experience skiing, and see the issue a bit differently than you do. Your questions on your survey could use some revisions. I have a suggestion for you.

Start another thread and ask the forum membership what questions to ask on your survey. You might be surprised how helpful these folks might be. Then repost the survey on multiple ski forums. Best of luck!

A helpful idea that would make for a useful survey.

bdfreetuna

When you run over children on the mountain at least they bounce back and heal quicker than adults.

There aren't too many little kids in the w00ds and if there are, good for them. Seems like most of the kids are hanging out in the park or bombing down groomers, or snowplowing through moguls. In any case, glad to see them out on skis.

Feel free to interpolate that into the survey and forge my signature.