• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Construction Happening at Haystack

thetrailboss

Staff member
So they've restarted work? I know that they ran into some pretty big financial problems because their launch was in 2008-2009 when the market collapsed. Notice how the units have been in place for a long time. Also notice how they have no base lodge for the ski area...but I see "some" work going on with what I assume is going to be the new lodge. Are they going to be open for skiing this year?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I was just reading something about Hermitage yesterday and was going to post about it, but then for some reason I forgot.

Is this like prestige skiing community kind of thing? I'll have to read more about it later.

dlague

I do not think it is a public ski area any longer it went private - club membership required!

skiberg

I would no waste a dollar skiing Haystack. It makes Mt Snow look like MRG. there a black diamond runs on this hill that literally require you to skate. These are FALL LINE runs not switchbacks. It is a very, very mild ski area. I don't think there is another ski area this easy and boring in all of Vermont, even Bromley has better skiing.

jaysunn

I heard something that Mt Snow employees were strictly forbidden to work there, fired if so. Not sure if I can find the article.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Here ya go

http://www.dvalnews.com/view/full_s...-odds-over-staff?instance=home_news_1st_right

The memo, sent Friday, said in part: “In general working at other businesses in the Valley does not constitute a conflict of interest, however the Hermitage and Haystack have been at times in conflict with Mount Snow’s business interests. Therefore we do not believe it is in Mount Snow’s best interests to have our employees and volunteers working simultaneously for these companies. We value our talented and dedicated staff and hope that you understand that we need to make this business decision to protect our company’s interests. Therefore: Staff or volunteers of the Hermitage, The Haystack Club, their golf course, real estate, and other associated companies may not work or volunteer at Mount Snow.”

The memo went on to say that any Mount Snow staff working or volunteering at Haystack would be grandfathered until the third week of April.

Read more: Deerfield Valley News - Resorts at odds over staff

thetrailboss

Staff member
I heard something that Mt Snow employees were strictly forbidden to work there, fired if so. Not sure if I can find the article.

That's right. Something that came about last spring.

Is this a new owner or the same guy, but now he has the money and interest to move forward? This has been in the works for a long time.

dlague

That did get very nasty last year. It really started over resources going to Haystack for full time employment that were former Mount Snow employees. A musician for Mount Snow posted on facebook his opposition to this policy and they halted his contract.

Brattleboro News paper article about it

http://www.reformer.com/localnews/ci_22837608/mount-snow-memo-upsets-employees

Musician get fire over his opinions of it!

http://dvalnews.com/view/full_story/22444084/article-Musician-loses-work-due-to-Facebook-posts?instance=news_page

WWF-VT

Is this a new owner or the same guy, but now he has the money and interest to move forward? This has been in the works for a long time.

"Having acquired The Hermitage Inn in 2007,owner Jim Barnes' vision to connect the Inn with the surrounding mountain culminated with the 2011 acquisition of Haystack Club. With the completion of development and the realization of a single property, the name of the club was changed to The Hermitage Club at Haystack Mountain to reflect its grandeur and history."

http://hermitageclub.com/the-vision/meet-our-founder/

thetrailboss

Staff member
"Having acquired The Hermitage Inn in 2007,owner Jim Barnes' vision to connect the Inn with the surrounding mountain culminated with the 2011 acquisition of Haystack Club. With the completion of development and the realization of a single property, the name of the club was changed to The Hermitage Club at Haystack Mountain to reflect its grandeur and history."

http://hermitageclub.com/the-vision/meet-our-founder/

Thanks. Explains it.

twinplanx

I would no waste a dollar skiing Haystack. It makes Mt Snow look like MRG. there a black diamond runs on this hill that literally require you to skate. These are FALL LINE runs not switchbacks. It is a very, very mild ski area. I don't think there is another ski area this easy and boring in all of Vermont, even Bromley has better skiing.

If the terrain was as dramatic as the soundtrack I would be interested. Otherwise this is an expensive joke... lol

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk 2