• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

conveyor belt loading lifts

drjeff

I could possibly see the advantage on a fixed grip lift so the line can move faster (Shawnee did this, IIRC). But on a HSQ like Mount Snow, it actually made loading more complicated, not less, and I doubt they increased the line speed much if anything at all.

Mount Snow's installation had nothing to do with line speed, it was all about making it easier to put 4 people at the loadline at the same time - especially kids ski school programs and the relatively large number of beginners that ride that lift, and with respect to that, it has worked and management is happy with the increased # of full chairs headed up the mountain! :)

drjeff

I couldn't stand the one at Mt Snow. It felt awkward and like I was going to endo off the platform.

Yup, the first few times I used it, I wasn't sure that the "fuzz" just past the load line would stop me - the last few hundred times though I don't have any worries about that fuzz stopping what with boots and skis and gear on is my 240lb+ mass! ;)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Mount Snow's installation had nothing to do with line speed, it was all about making it easier to put 4 people at the loadline at the same time - especially kids ski school programs and the relatively large number of beginners that ride that lift, and with respect to that, it has worked and management is happy with the increased # of full chairs headed up the mountain! :)
Maybe. But to me it seemed harder, not easier. I also noticed a few lift stoppages (more than most HSQs I ride). It seems like you have insider info that the current situation is better than without the conveyor. I find it hard to believe but if they have the stats to show it works for them, more power to them.

The fact that they needed a conveyor to help ensure four bodies were on the line speaks to there being a problem at one time. A problem getting folks loaded on to a detachable quad flabbergasts me.

snoseek

Stategically placing conveyers to run fixed grip lifts at higher speeds in windy, exposed areas to me just makes sense!

deadheadskier

Staff member
but if they have the stats to show it works for them, more power to them.

I'd be interested to know if they kept those stats. Outside of RFD, it certainly would be a PITA to track the number of skiers going up the chair per hour. You'd have to have an employee there with one of those number clickers like you see a bouncer use at a night club.

Stategically placing conveyers to run fixed grip lifts at higher speeds in windy, exposed areas to me just makes sense!

Hopefully it does at the Loaf. It's certainly going to be pretty sweet to access that terrain in just 8 minutes on the chair.

carbonXshell

Website
vimeo.com
Mt Snow 's lift sucks (IMHO). you get on the belt but then it simply takes you forward a short distance and deposits you on solid ground for loading the chair. My last visit there i practically skied off the fixed spot, there was nowhere near enough friction to stop me. even on the belt i was sliding forward but accelerated when i hit the landing zone. Had I stuck my poles between my legs in anticipation of getting on the chair I'd have been f*cked. subsequent loads were the same but at least i was ready with my poles to brace myself.

Must be some kind of design flaw... they should call the Austrians for a fix.

Terry

The one at Shawnee works great. It takes a couple of times loading it to get the hang of it but it lets the lift run much faster and with a lot less stopping. Took a 12 minute ride and cut it down to 8 to the top. There is no way that you could load the chair at the speed they are turning it without the conveyor.

Glenn

A problem getting folks loaded on to a detachable quad flabbergasts me.

Stand at the base of the Grand Summit lift on a holiday weekend. You'll be amazed at how people can fudgesicle up the simple task of loading a detachable lift. :lol:

I don't keep a notebook, but since they installed the belt, the lift stops less. There's less "should I move out now?" hesitation. Gates open, you go.

drjeff

i've never really studied it (i will in my next life) but i'd have thought maximizing lift capacity was more about running the line well rather than the actual act of getting people seated, tho i get that if a newbie falls it wastes time.

The problem in particular with the line queue for the Grand Summit at Mount Snow is more to do with the piece of land that its on than the actual line itself. Due to the location of the base of the lift, high at top an embankment directly behind and off to one side, the main queue is farther away from the loading area, and especially if you're in a queue line that's closest to the base lodge (where the ski school access lane is) you can be looking at 100+ feet of "final approach" area to shuffle across (and this often spreads out groups before you even get to the loading gates). The gates then help to reset the group just after they make that final 90 degree turn (once again the land in that area dictates this) and then get 4 people to the load line at the same time in that 6 or so second interval that they have to load a chair.

It's not a perfect system, but compared to weekend rides on that lift pre conveyor, there's regularly more full chairs headed up the mountain on a stop free ride than there used to be. And that that respect, it did solve a "problem" with that lift. Now the next lift loading problem that the folks at Mount Snow will have to figure out is how to effectively load 6 at a time! :lol: Although they'll have probably about 10 seconds and no conveyor belt, instead of 6 seconds to get that one figured out! ;) :lol:

Telemechanic

I'm a mechanic at Loon and we really like the loading conveyor we installed at the 7 Brothers triple. On a busy weekend it has reduced the number of stops by greater than half and the load percentage will be very close to 100. For management it is most important to see every chair fully loaded regardless of speed (well, within reason of course). I think the purpose of most of the loading conveyors in use today is to increase loading percentage at the standard maximum speed allowed for the lift it services. In fact I heard Shawnee Peak hasn't been able to run its "new" lift at 550 fpm because the chair isn't stable enough for most people load even with the assistance of a the moving load point. A newer lift, like Sugarloaf's planned Spillway quad, might have chair guide-age to help stabilize the chair as it comes off the bull-wheel into the load area. Many of the comments on this thread are consistent with a comment we heard from the conveyor company's rep who helped us put the machine together. He said many of our expert skiers will have trouble using the conveyor, and when the do they'll get upset because they didn't have any trouble loading before the conveyor. He advised us to ignore the complaints for they would pass and eventually most people would adapt. This all proved to be true.

I'd say my only complaint is it wasn't always so hard to approach 100% load on a fixed grip like 7 bros. on a busy-busy day. The popularity of easy-loading detachables has softened the loading skills of both riders and attendants. I operated 7 Brothers 16 years ago, before Loon's first detachable chair, when 7 brothers was a much busier lift and it was always our goal to load every chair. We were much more hands-on and vocal with the riders and the riders were probably more skilled too. If you had to stop the chair during your load shift you'd hear about it from your co-workers. Just a little friendly pressure to strive for 100%.

Eski

I get to Mt. Snow every year for a few days a season - the conveyor system there seems pretty idiot proof, but then I'm the guy who also loads with my poles between my legs and have never, ever had an issue ... I've observed over the years that no matter what method of loading, there's always a percentage of folks who have an issue, probably due to the inability to pay attention to what they're doing for the few seconds it takes to approach a chair ... excusable for a newb, but for anyone who uses any lift more than a handful of times and still can't adjust, then maybe you should be hiking for your turns

Glenn

I'm a mechanic at Loon and we really like the loading conveyor we installed at the 7 Brothers triple. On a busy weekend it has reduced the number of stops by greater than half and the load percentage will be very close to 100. For management it is most important to see every chair fully loaded regardless of speed (well, within reason of course). I think the purpose of most of the loading conveyors in use today is to increase loading percentage at the standard maximum speed allowed for the lift it services. In fact I heard Shawnee Peak hasn't been able to run its "new" lift at 550 fpm because the chair isn't stable enough for most people load even with the assistance of a the moving load point. A newer lift, like Sugarloaf's planned Spillway quad, might have chair guide-age to help stabilize the chair as it comes off the bull-wheel into the load area. Many of the comments on this thread are consistent with a comment we heard from the conveyor company's rep who helped us put the machine together. He said many of our expert skiers will have trouble using the conveyor, and when the do they'll get upset because they didn't have any trouble loading before the conveyor. He advised us to ignore the complaints for they would pass and eventually most people would adapt. This all proved to be true.

I'd say my only complaint is it wasn't always so hard to approach 100% load on a fixed grip like 7 bros. on a busy-busy day. The popularity of easy-loading detachables has softened the loading skills of both riders and attendants. I operated 7 Brothers 16 years ago, before Loon's first detachable chair, when 7 brothers was a much busier lift and it was always our goal to load every chair. We were much more hands-on and vocal with the riders and the riders were probably more skilled too. If you had to stop the chair during your load shift you'd hear about it from your co-workers. Just a little friendly pressure to strive for 100%.

Great post! Thanks for sharing the info.

I agree 100% with what I bolded above. Now, I certainly can't speak for the operators. However, I think it has softened the skills needed to load a regular fixed chair. "Back in my day...." The ski lift had two speeds: On and off. I remember being a young kid (younger than I am now) and watching that chair swing around the bullwheel. It could get a little scary!

I saw it happen a few times this season. A large number of people headed to the Summit Local at Mount Snow for "one last ride". You would have thought it was was a Poma sufcace lift and you were trying to teach a 5 year old how to use it. People couldn't load, the chair was always stopping...groups were split up. Even with two or three guys managing the chair and calling people to "come out! Scoot to the line!" it was still chaotic. It made me realize that a lot of people are just used to the nice slow loading of a detachable lift.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
The Bush has a conveyor lift or " magic carpet " but it doesn't have anything to do with pre-loading a lift. In the ASC days it took people who didn't want to hike up the short hill to the Valley House Lodge from the base area. Now the Bush has moved it to the bunny hill used mainly by first timers and people in beginner lessons. I've never used it and I have no intention of trying it. lol