• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crotched 1/19... Grundel Flossing

Tin

After a fun 2 hour white knuckle drive through a band of snow to Crotched, we arrived around 11 am. They reported 5" the day/night prior and had 1-2" from the bands that went through in the morning. It was far from a powder day though, it was mostly piles of snow on top of frozen and hard pack. Luckily it was just enough to cover some great areas and leave some brush (Grundel Floss) sticking up to keep almost everyone away. We were able to find some great snow on Final Frontier and found the lower half of Solstice nearly untouched with 4-6" on it and a decent base below. Jupiter's was a sheet of ice and most trails were hard packed, had to really stick to the edges were all the snow was thrown. We opted to ski the chute under the Rocket each time to avoid the gaggles of <4' Evil Knievels. The sides of Pluto's and UFO were great. All the snow was pushed to the sides leaving nice piles of loose granular to blow through. Bumps were forming under the Rocket but sketchty, had some untouched snow on the far sides and lower section most of the day. By our third time Solstice had been just about skied off but we were the only ones on Final Frontier all day. A great time, got 20 runs in and called it.

Pluto's
Pluto's bumps.jpg

Pluto's Piles (gf working on pole plants)
Plutos.jpg

Solstice Glade (just enough coverage)
Soltice.jpg

Final Frontier
Final Frontier 2.jpg

" "
Final Frontier.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
looks like no one was there between the lack of skiers in the Pluto's photo and numerous chairs without four people on them.

yeggous

Was there yesterday. It was piles of loose granular on top of multicolored ice.

They had their fan guns plugged in and ready to go as soon as temperatures dropped. It looks like they did a bit of resurfacing last night, but turned the guns off for day skiing today. The good news is that the pond is full! Like 100% completely full so they have plenty of water.

yeggous

A few inches of powder on top of glass. By lunch a lot of the ungroomed was treacherous. I voluntarily went down parts of Northwest Passage on my ass because if I was going to end up there either way.

MadMadWorld

Hopefully the hard pack gets covered up with some nice dense snow. It would do the base a world of good it seems.

Tin

A few inches of powder on top of glass. By lunch a lot of the ungroomed was treacherous. I voluntarily went down parts of Northwest Passage on my ass because if I was going to end up there either way.

I remember seeing the shine of it and saying no thanks. North Glade and Bonaventure were best when we were there but.pretty tracked.up.