• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crowds at Gore during Presidents Week?

Breakout12

Hi all.

How bad are the crowds at Gore during Presidents Week, specifically the Friday/Saturdays?

Thanks

Warp Daddy

They can be bad but once you are off the gondi there are SO many other sides and lifts that you can practically ski on , We have been ther many times during that period of time and if you USE the entire mtn u should have no problem there are like 9 sides, 4 peaks Bear Mtn , Gore , Burnt Ridge and the Snow Bowl .

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
Yeah, Gore is really good at spreading people out. They're blowing on Burnt Ridge tomorrow, and working on the ski bowl after that. They should have every mountain area open, and there will be no problem getting away from it all if you know where you're going. (If you don't know where you're going, I can show you around).

Fridays will be completely fine. Saturdays will be crowded at the Gondi (like Warp said), but nowhere else.

Bene288

Just what they said! Usually the base lifts will be a bit hectic. MLK Saturday was packed at the base lifts, especially the gondola, but every other lift we practically skied on. Good luck and enjoy.

x10003q

Gore's real limiting factor is parking. There is way less parking vs the capacity of the mountain. As mentioned the base will be crowded at times. The gondola might have a 10 min line from 10-12 and 1-2. Occasionally the high speed triple at the base gets a small line. The rest of the place will mostly be ski right onto the lifts and the trails will be fine. The lodge can be packed, but only on Saturday.

One thing to remember about Presidents week this year is a lot of schools added some of the week back into the schedule due to all the power failures from Hurricane Sandy. I would expect a lighter midweek turnout this year.

millerm277

I've been there for New Year's the past 2 years. Gondola + Sunway (beginner's chair) are the only lifts with any lines, even when they're so out of parking they're parking people all along the road.

Bene288

On MLK Saturday they had cars parked all along the access road, almost to the sign. Easy way to solve that..get there early! I got there at 7:45 that day and was in the first row, about 100 yards away from the lodge.

Breakout12

Thanks so much to everyone who replied! This is very reassuring. As a bad schedule would have it, the two weekends of PW are the only dates I can go before the second or third week of March, and after last year's weather, i don't want to risk going that late. Many resorts were hurting by the beginning of March.

Thanks also for the heads up about the parking.

On MLK Saturday they had cars parked all along the access road, almost to the sign. Easy way to solve that..get there early! I got there at 7:45 that day and was in the first row, about 100 yards away from the lodge.

How bad was it around 8:15-8:30?

Bene288

I think at 8:15 you MAY be able to get a spot in the upper lot. If you can't, you will most likely still be able to park in the premium parking area. They rope off a large section of lot in front of the Northwoods lodge and charge $12 to park there. Might be worth it for you if you have kids or a large group.

BenedictGomez

I find Holiday Fridays just about anywhere are thought to be crowded, but arent actually crowded. Skied Presidents holiday Friday last year at Jay Peak and it was empty, skied MLK Friday at Gore this year and it was empty, etc..... The "nightmare" usually doesn't happen until Saturday.

That said, I was at Whiteface this MLK Saturday as I have to say even that wasnt that crowded, longest line I probably had was about 8 minutes for the gondola. Smuggs last Presidents Saturday was a different story, that was a good 15 minutes for Madonna, and I start getting cranky at about that point.