• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crown Point Bridge CLOSED

wa-loaf

Well if it's a cold winter they can open up an ice road ...

4aprice

I've used that bridge for years. I got sick of 22A all the way up and took that route most of the time traveling to N VT from North Jersey. It's approximately the same amount of time anyway. Beautiful drive betrween Champlain and 87.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

nelsapbm

Totally sucks for the locals. Lots of folks live in Ti, Crown Point, Fort Henry and commute to Goodrich in Vergennes or up the Burlington area for work. Also, quite a few folks live in the Vergennes/Middlebury area and work in Ti at the paper plant. People now face $20+ a day for the ferry and all the extra time or drive all the way down to Whitehall and back around. Not fun.

faceplant

Lk Champlain bridge down indefinately

shoot

A bridge to nowhere
When the historic Lake Champlain Bridge closed, it was more than an annoyance - it entirely upended a way of life
ADDISON, Vt. - It was so much more than a bridge. When Governor Franklin D. Roosevelt of New York helped open Lake Champlain Bridge in 1929, he and tens of thousands of onlookers were celebrating the future of automobile travel and the expectations of roadside commerce. The 728-yard span across the 120-mile-long lake was a gleaming marvel of engineering that would change the way people and goods moved forever.
Forever isn’t what it used to be. The rusting bridge was closed indefinitely on Oct. 16 after inspectors discovered that the deterioration of at least two of the 80-year-old concrete piers raised the threat of imminent collapse. And just as so much more than a bridge was built, so much more than a bridge has been lost.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's a popular route for some coming from NY to the Northern Greens. There are alternatives however that really aren't that much of a further drive.

tjf67

Bridge is unrepairable and will be demolished and replaced. I feel bad for the local economy who rely on the bridge for every day transportation. That said, I'm glad they caught this before another catastrophe happened like in Minnesota.

http://adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/509645.html?nav=5017

I hope with there wisdom they go check the bridge 20 miles up the lake. Was built with the same type of construction and it is looking pretty shabby.

nelsapbm

There is a bridge 20 miles north of Crown Point? News to me LOL and I live right near there. The next bridge north of Crown Point is at Rouses Point NY/Alburgh VT, about a 1/2 mile (if that) south of the Canadian border.

deadheadskier

Staff member
was going to say, Crowne Point is the only bridge I was aware of outside of up in the Grand Isles

koreshot

tjf67

There is a bridge 20 miles north of Crown Point? News to me LOL and I live right near there. The next bridge north of Crown Point is at Rouses Point NY/Alburgh VT, about a 1/2 mile (if that) south of the Canadian border.

OK so may be it is 30-40 miles up the lake. the point was it is falling apart to.

Glenn

I'm disapointed drjeff hasn't chimed in on a thread that has dental terms in the title.....

drjeff

I'm disapointed drjeff hasn't chimed in on a thread that has dental terms in the title.....

For Glenn's sake ;) :lol:

I like when (dental) bridges fail [size=-4]as long as they're not bridges that I made for the patient[/size]

Helps to add to my quiver of toys when that happens :)

Glenn

Applause-2.gif