• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Damage report thread

jimmywilson69

so are you just regularly checking the oil or are you actually noticing oil burning while driving on these long trips?

kingslug

First noticed when doing oil change..low on the dipstick. Same with coolant. Now I check weekly. Wanted to get the new subie but my wife was like..you really want to take a new car into the city everyday...well..yes but I get the point. If this one gets banged up..so what..its paid for.

Edd

I’ve got a 2018 Outback with 40k. No problems but I did have a low oil warning a couple of months ago. I pulled into a quick oil change place and took care of it. Hopefully just a one time thing but who knows?

Otherwise a pretty sweet ride. Subaru has ride quality down. Prefer it to this new Toyota I bought.

crank

so are you just regularly checking the oil or are you actually noticing oil burning while driving on these long trips?
Checking fairly regularly.

Edit: Will start a long trip OK and the oil light will go on after about 5 or 6 hours. It's about 2 quarts down when light goes on...seems like. We travel with plenty of extra.

Last edited:

parahelia

Just traded in a 2010 Forester at 165k. The head gasket never blew. I’ve never been aware of burning oil. Lights were coming on for various things like catalytic converter, transmission, etc. Mechanic said it might not be worth it so I gave up. I wish it had gone 200k but I won’t complain about 12 years of service.

Replaced it with a 2021 RAV4 Hybrid. Now, that car is a trip.
Hey, how do you like the RAV4 Hybrid? We've got a Prius wagon with 170K that we love but they stopped making the wagons. It's been fine in the snow with the right tires but boy, does it ride low when it and the roof box are full with kids/skis/camping gear/etc. We left some undercarriage parts on a dirt road in Western ME (Shagg Pond Road, beware in spring.) The increased clearance of the RAV4 is appealing...

skierinri

I love my 2015 forester. its still young. I can get 28-29 MPG on the highway but it is drastically under powered. If I put the bike rack on or have Kayaks on top or BOTH! I'm only gettin about 20-21 MPG. Still who cares. I have dedicated snow tires on that thing and it is an absolute tank in the snow with the all wheel drive and snow tires.

I believe they solved the engine issues and you seriously can't blame manufacturers for adding computerized "stuff" that is what sells cars.

As far as manual transmissions go. I'm not sure you can get any "regular" vehicle with a manual, even by ordering them any more. the vast majority of the population doesn't know how to drive a manual or doesn't want to and it doesn't make senses for the manufacturers to engineer a 2nd transmission
I bought a 2019 Impreza off the lot with a manual transmission. It is unbelievably under powered, but I really wanted a manual AWD hatchback. Not many offer manual anymore, but there are small amount. https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g20734564/manual-transmission-cars/

Cornhead

My 2011 WRX has used oil since new, made a trip to K, 500 miles roundtrip, down a quart, asked the dealership wtf, asked if I drive on the highway alot. Never had a car that "used" so much oil. First Subaru.

jimmywilson69

I've honestly never checked my 2015 Forester. My mechanic also hasn't said, hey you are way low on oil. Maybe I'm lucky?

PAabe

tumbler

Mercedes has a new wagon that is lifted for more ground clearance.

2Planker

My Honda Ridgeline is my best vehicle to date. A lot of people hate it..for whatever reason but it does everything. Rides like a car and hauls like a truck..and its pretty damn fast. I haul my racebike in the bed no problem. I'll let the subie hit 100k and decide.
And Stowe got 4 inches and more on the way ...so the North i

I want this..then I can get rid of the vette..and the truck...
Drove it last Sat. Debating between RS6 or regular A6 Avant.
Wifey wants the RS, but she's already got too many Tix.......

Edd

Hey, how do you like the RAV4 Hybrid? We've got a Prius wagon with 170K that we love but they stopped making the wagons. It's been fine in the snow with the right tires but boy, does it ride low when it and the roof box are full with kids/skis/camping gear/etc. We left some undercarriage parts on a dirt road in Western ME (Shagg Pond Road, beware in spring.) The increased clearance of the RAV4 is appealing...
It is quite a toy. Got the Limited trim with every package basically. Ventilated seats, heated wheel, rain sensing wipers, pano roof. The mileage for the last 8 days averages to >37mpg during winter!

I haven’t driven it in a real storm but something that weirds me out is that the rear wheels are only driven by electric motors, so the gas motor only powers the front, and they have to work together when the front wheels slip and the rear gets recruited for traction.

parahelia

It is quite a toy. Got the Limited trim with every package basically. Ventilated seats, heated wheel, rain sensing wipers, pano roof. The mileage for the last 8 days averages to >37mpg during winter!

I haven’t driven it in a real storm but something that weirds me out is that the rear wheels are only driven by electric motors, so the gas motor only powers the front, and they have to work together when the front wheels slip and the rear gets recruited for traction.
37 during winter, not bad indeed. I was worried it would be a big drop-off from the regular Prius. Thanks - something to keep in mind when the wagon finally kicks it. I have to say we have been totally impressed with the longevity of our Toyota hybrid; 170K miles and no repairs other than brakes and the parts we lost on the dirt road.

Reactions: Edd

skiur

I had an 07 outback with the 5 speed manual. At 75 mph it was running at over 3200 rpm so the gas mileage sucked for a 4 cylinder. Went thru about a qt of oil every 1500 miles as it got older.