• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Death at Killington?

Bostonian

Saw this news report this morning on Channel 5:

http://www.enquirerherald.com/2013/12/13/2831466/police-pa-woman-dies-in-vt-ski.html

KILLINGTON, VT. — Vermont State Police say a Pennsylvania woman was found dead after she disappeared during a skiing outing.
Investigators say 21-year-old Jennifer Strohl was reported missing Thursday afternoon by friends whom she'd become separated from earlier in the day. Ski patrol found her off Killington Mountain's Great Northern Trail just before 5 p.m., about 6 hours after she was last seen.
Police say the Jim Thorpe woman was not wearing a helmet and sustained head injuries as a result of an apparent collision. Her death does not appear suspicious.

Euler

That sucks. It's always sobering to be reminded of how much potential for serious injury there is in the sport. So sorry for her friends and family.

MadMadWorld

She must have gone waaaay off into the woods for her to be on that trail and not found for 6 hours. That's very sad.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Its always awful to hear when someone dies from trying to have fun. Skiing is supposed to be fun. Some of the threads lately are really showing the grim side of the sport. Planning a trip to Kton for Saturday too.

dlague

This is sad and unfortunate. That trail gets skied off pretty easily due the amount of traffic and it is narrow in spots but also pretty flat. In the same respect, I am sure that no one would suspect someone going off that trail. I am surprised that no one else witnessed this but is was midweek. Not knowing how this tragedy happen, it does make you think about how simple policies of no person left behind or speed checking before turns can change someone's day. There are several spots on that trail where I could see this happening now that I think about it especially with the refreezes we have been having.

jaysunn

So sad, condolences.....

Police say the Jim Thorpe woman was not wearing a helmet and sustained head injuries as a result of an apparent collision. Her death does not appear suspicious.

Does collision in this context mean, with another skier/rider? Or can it mean just crashing on ones own?

millerm277

So sad, condolences.....

Does collision in this context mean, with another skier/rider? Or can it mean just crashing on ones own?

I would guess it means collision with a tree or other inanimate object, in this case.

skiNEwhere

I always hate hearing this, this is tragic. I hope her family is doing ok

Domeskier

I would guess it means collision with a tree or other inanimate object, in this case.

Yeah, I would hope that another skier would not leave the scene of a collision resulting in head injuries to the other party and not report it. This is very sad. I don't know if a helmet would have saved her, but this is one of the reasons why I never ski without them now.