• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your Season in Review (2015-2016)

steamboat1

Just never thought about it before this past crummy snow season. Now that I'm looking at it more I like what I see.

I think the relative absence of "mega resorts" (I'll exclude Tremblant from what I've heard, will visit there midweek next season) is a big part of the appeal to me.
Resorts are fairly mega around QC, MSA has a 8 pass gondola, hs bubble quad & 2 other hs quads. LM has a 4 pass. gondola & 2 hs quads. Stoneham has a hs bubble quad but yes most of there other lifts are antiquated. Even little Le Rolaise is installing a hs six pack this summer.

JimG.

Staff member
Resorts are fairly mega around QC, MSA has a 8 pass gondola, hs bubble quad & 2 other hs quads. LM has a 4 pass. gondola & 2 hs quads. Stoneham has a hs bubble quad but yes most of there other lifts are antiquated. Even little Le Rolaise is installing a hs six pack this summer.

I think high speed lifts are more the rule than the exception nowadays. Tremblant fits the mega resort tag, similar to Vail or Aspen in CO or Snowbird (less so) and Park City in UT. Mountains with many resort activities, shopping, spas, etc.

MSA was very nice and had nice amenities but it will never be mistaken for being a mega resort. That was my impression anyway.

steamboat1

I think high speed lifts are more the rule than the exception nowadays. Tremblant fits the mega resort tag, similar to Vail or Aspen in CO or Snowbird (less so) and Park City in UT. Mountains with many resort activities, shopping, spas, etc.

MSA was very nice and had nice amenities but it will never be mistaken for being a mega resort. That was my impression anyway.
Which areas in the northeast compare to the western mega resorts? None, not even Tremblant.

JimG.

Staff member
Which areas in the northeast compare to the western mega resorts? None, not even Tremblant.

Agreed. I would probably add a place like Holiday Valley to the list just because Ellicottville is designed to be a mega resort. Just no mega vertical.

raisingarizona

Trying to recall it all is a little blurry but after the fact and watching the footage I'm pretty sure it was something like this.....

Last edited:

JDMRoma

Yes, because the base village is fully integrated into the mountain. You can park your car and never really need it til you leave.

But.....where do you stop for a beer !

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone