• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Deer Valley: January 22, 2013

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ski Area: Deer Valley, Utah

Dates: January 22, 2013

Conditions: Variable--FG/LG

Weather: Sunny, temps in the low 40's.

Report No: 14

MLK Weekend came and went and I had to go to Chicago for a funeral (my wife's grandmother). So that meant no skiing, but I had to go at least once ;) So I decided to cash in one of my Deer Valley tickets and enjoy the sun of Park City above the inversion.

I got up to Park City a little before 9am, but still got caught in some Sundance traffic. No worries, just sipped the coffee and staring at the frickin huge jumps that had been built at Park City Mountain Resort:

Look center-left:

ry%3D400

I made it to Deer Valley just after 9am...later than hoped, but it worked. This was my second time visiting DV for skiing, and this time I found the underground entrance that was much easier and closer to my car. It led right straight to the locker rooms.

Got my ticket and hopped on Carpenter. Having been Deer hunting once before, I had learned some valuable lessons. First, DV is huge and as a day skier, you begin down at Snow Park and have to think about where you want to go and how to get back. While a look at the map, and our first instinct in March, would suggest Silver Lake Express, Carpenter would take you to the top of Bald Eagle Mountain and give you some skiing down to Silver Lake and with enough speed to get down to Quincy, since I wanted to get to Empire quickly. So Carpenter I went and my plan worked out, giving me ample speed to cruise right down Quincy with no walking at all.

My eyes spied a tasty looking cruiser to get warmed up on, so I decided to give it a shot. Blue Bell took me right down to Northside Express and to a small alley wall between the condos, Woodside, that let me right to Empire. Bingo.

Now on our first visit we scoped out the expert stuff on Bald Mountain, which on that day was pretty sticky and sun damaged, but fun. We did not leave enough time to get over to Lady Morgan, so I had the game plan set: ski Empire and Lady Morgan hitting some of the expert stuff I had sniffed out in the summer on my hikes. That leads me to Deer hunting tip number two: there is expert stuff at Deer Valley if you look off the groomers and venture just a little ways out, and it has ample room.

Hit Lady Morgan and proceeded to ski Dakota and Pearl to do some recon. The sun had not quite yet worked its magic, so the groomers were a good idea to warm up on.

On over to Empire I went and did a run down Supreme and Ore Cart. Empire is really nice:

ry%3D400

Empire and Daly Bowl/Chutes Area from Flagstaff:

ry%3D400

After a brief break, I headed over to Ruby and hit Lost Boulder and Lucky Star before heading back to Lady Morgan to see if the snow had softened. Both groomers were nice, but there is no doubt that Deer Valley, because of its extensive snowmaking, has more ice than other places and the Joes do not like ice.

Lost Boulder:

ry%3D400

Woodside with the Montage looming above:

ry%3D400

Off of Lady Morgan I pointed my skis down Magnet and watched a young woman slide down 100 yards of the upper portion. The trail was pretty firm and I skidded down to the bottom of Lady Morgan and then skied Pearl to do some recon of the other options since the trails facing E were not softened yet. So I figured to look towards the north facing slopes for some hopefully less damaged snow that might be better.

Off of Empire, I decided to cruise over to Lady Morgan Bowl. Good choice and confirmation that my instincts were right--go to the north facing slopes young man.

Lady Morgan Bowl:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The upper bowl was wide open with good bumps that funneled into a treed-in canyon. The only downside was the hike uphill out to Pearl, but it was just enough to keep most folks out.

That inspired me. The next target was to head to the Daly area, which I had scouted out over the summer. I skied down Orion, which was softening nicely, ducked into the wooded traverse and popped out right on the rim of Daly Bowl.

ry%3D400

The snow was cold, firm, but edgeable. However, it had not been cooked by the sun the day before and was entertaining. And I was the only one over here.

Daly is short and sweet, but has some good trees, bumps, steeps, and technical lines. Just pick your flavor and go.

ry%3D400

Cold, shaded goodness in Daly Bowl:

ry%3D400

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
So as you can see this is not what you would expect from Deer Valley...known for groomers and easy terrain. But I was on a mission to go beyond the easy targets to score the big buck. So that meant back out on the traverse and to go further along the ridge...to the delicious morsels that I knew were there. But I got a bit greedy and tried to do Quincy Knoll and X-Files in one bite--the former offering nice open meadows to cruise in and the latter offering nice glades with good pitch. My greediness caused me to not get the best line so I ended up traversing more than skiing, but now I know better.

That did not deter me though and only made me more curious to go back. I had spied a choice line--Chute 10--that almost caught me the first time. I had to hit it and this was a great choice--a nice open bowl leading to a nice straight-line chute that spilled into the trees. Nice consistent pitch and no crowds. Run of the day. I would go back before the end of the day.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

After my walk on the wildier side, I decided to do a run down Empire Bowl/Domingo which had softened up somewhat.

I was a bit hungry, so I headed back to Snow Park to grab a quick bite, delayer, and put on more sunscreen. I hit Ontario Bowl, but it was just too manky to be worth it so I ducked out pretty quickly.

After lunch, I was going back to Empire and Lady Morgan. Centennial Woods were in the crosshairs: steep, bumpy, and empty. Nice trees:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

thetrailboss

Staff member
Centennial Woods was very tasty, but I wanted to go back to Daly Bowl and ski some more of the goods there. First was Anchor Woods, which is the first turn off the traverse. Well manicured woods with nice pitch and plenty of room. Very similar to Canyon's Condor Woods, only cleaner.

ry%3D400

Take your pick off the menu:

ry%3D400

thetrailboss

Staff member
After Anchor Woods, I headed back for seconds to Chute 10. Can you see it?

ry%3D400

I got to the Empire Lift at 3pm and they were closing it down, but I was waved over for one more run on the lift which was very generous. So I took one more run down Orion to Anchor Woods and then out to Ruby.

I closed up on Hawkeye and then Hidden Treasure before heading back to Snow Park.

A great day. As always, everyone was friendly and the skiing was good.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Woods and chutes look sweet! Glad you are enjoying some great skiing out there.

Yeah who would have expected this at Deer Valley?

And this photo is telling. Devil's Fiddle? MRG? Nope, Lady Morgan liftline at Deer Valley:

ry%3D400

And a few great shots from Chute 10:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
What a great report! How was the feedback after getting out to go skiing when you weren't supposed to :lol:

Those jumps in the first pic.... they look bigger than a house

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Oops, I was reading on my phone earlier :)

I thought you said you had to go to a funeral and you wanted to go skiing for a day, so you went. So I thought maybe there was some flack to be had... just joking around.

I reread now that you were in Chicago for the funeral. Sorry to hear that.

Pics look incredible though. An awesome TR!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Oops, I was reading on my phone earlier :)

I thought you said you had to go to a funeral and you wanted to go skiing for a day, so you went. So I thought maybe there was some flack to be had... just joking around.

I reread now that you were in Chicago for the funeral. Sorry to hear that.

Pics look incredible though. An awesome TR!

Yep, was in Chicago for a funeral. Went to DV when I got back. Had to have one day to decompress.

mlctvt

Just reading this report now, great report!
I skied DV for the first time last year when we spent a week in Park City. Since it was our first trip to Park City we skied 2 days at each of the 3 resorts. Our first day at DV we were with a local guide who knew where to go. We hit up all of the same runs you mentioned here! These bowls and woods were plenty challenging for me. I'm glad we had the guide because I'm sure we wouldn't have found some of these runs.

Sadly it looks like I won't be getting there this year. Reading your report brings back great memories of last years trip though.

drjeff

Great report TB!

Pics of some of my favorite places at DV! Love the trees on Centential off Lady Morgan, just so much fun as you start off in the big pines and then drop into the aspens down lower as you make the right hand turn and head for what I call the "gulley" part of Centential to gte back to the lift!

Please stop posting DV TR's like this one TB, or else you'll ruin the notion that the place is just wall to wall Bogner clad folks making wide track parallel skidded turns on super buffed low angle intermediate terrain! ;) :lol: