• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

demo day etiquette

kickstand

Ramp Sports had a demo day at Attitash this past Saturday. I was really looking forward to trying some of their skis, since they're a smaller operation, not really in many stores and their sticks are wider than what I've been skiing. There were 2 models I was hoping to try, but it seems as though some people got to the mountain at 8:30 and turned the demo day literally into a demo day.

I've always looked at demo days as pick a model/length, take it out for a few runs, possibly repeat the process with a different model and/or length. Is it a common thing to go looking for a specific ski and be told it's been gone for hours with no return in sight? It was annoying in this case, since it's not a Rossignol or Volkl that you can demo in any local ski shop.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I agree with you that the demo days I've been to usually involve folks trying out a ski for a few runs and then moving on. Apparently the shop/organizers did not make that clear.

The last demo day I did, which was a long time ago, was at Sugarbush and the reps from Head and Volkl both said to me, "take 2 or 3 runs and come back." Nothing mean, just a suggestion and it was fair to everyone.

AdironRider

I dont think its something I would do, but its not something I would get upset about either.

You arent paying anything, you are getting in effect a free rental. I just dont see getting upset because someone got to ski an item by getting there before I did.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I dont think its something I would do, but its not something I would get upset about either.

You arent paying anything, you are getting in effect a free rental. I just dont see getting upset because someone got to ski an item by getting there before I did.

That's true, but I think his point was that folks took the skis out for more than a run or two.

drjeff

If its a small independent company like was mentioned, then one person keeping them all day is a rude maneuver that might very well cost that small, independent company some sales

Every free demo day i've been to the reps say either "take a few runs" or "have fun on them for an hour or so". If it's a paid demo, then thats another story. Personally i'd still treat them like they're mine and not seek out rock gardens and return them with core shots- that's a pure classless, arrogant d$ck move in my book! :mad:

AdironRider

Are you seriously going to not give a shop business because, 1)someone got there before you did (key element here) and 2) you didnt get a free ride on some skis?

thetrailboss

Staff member
That's a good point: if these were paid demo skis, then of course you have them for the half or all day.

WWF-VT

Are you seriously going to not give a shop business because, 1)someone got there before you did (key element here) and 2) you didnt get a free ride on some skis?

RAMP Sports is not a shop. It's an independent ski company and getting a lot of people to demo their skis on a given day is significant opportunity to build the brand and company. So I agree that it's a dick move to treat them like a free demo for the day.

Scruffy

Not really a "free rental". Demo days are suppose to be a win-wn for both the ski manufactures and the general public. It's not always possible to rent or pay for a demo for a particular brand/model ski in your area. Demo days allow you a broader exposure to skis. Demo days are suppose to be like taking a car for a test drive; you go out for short ride and come right back, not take a road trip.
The folks running that demo were either remiss in giving specific instructions, or the party taking the skis all day or half a day were just rude. If the reps wanna sell more skis they need to get more people on them, so it's in their best interest to limit the time so others can get exposure.

kickstand

You're right, someone did get there before me, but it in no way ruined my day or changed my mind about a future purchase. Let's make that clear.

My question was really just asking if it's a normal thing that, on a free demo day, someone grabs a set of skis first thing in the morning and then disappears for the entire day. If it were me just missing every time a particular pair was returned/checked out, stuff happens. Wouldn't be the first time I had bad timing. But I wasn't the only person asking for particular models/sizes that had been checked out for 5+ hours.

Not sure who said anything about not spending money in a shop because of this experience. This particular brand is not sold in very many shops. In fact, one of the shops local to Attitash stopped selling them this year because it is cheaper for the consumer to buy online. They were the only ones in the valley that had these skis available for demo (and that was last year), and since they dropped the line, these days are the only times/places you can try the skis. I will still go to that shop, since they are probably the best around at what they do.

Like I said, didn't ruin my day, but I did think it was sort of a dickhead move by those people. Hope they enjoyed their day.

bzrperfspec77

I believe there is a Northeast Rep (or a few in the area) for RAMP so you may be able to hook up with them and let them know what happened. Maybe you can get out with one of them and try the set of skis you want? The Reps only get a few skis because they are sort of independant of RAMP being such a small company and all...

I own a set of Groundhogs and love them. Awesome quality and workmanship. Love that they are made in the USA!

What happened to you sucks tho! Dirtbags taking them all day...

abc

Are you suggesting I should buy a pair of skis from an independent maker, which few people have and shops don't carry, without demo'ing?

AdironRider

Yeah, done it several times myself. Its not a big deal to look at how a ski is shaped, and make a general opinion on how the ski would perform. Most people can do this if theyre above say intermediate level.

I find it laughable that most of you guys think this can somehow be prevented by the demo dudes in the tent and would let if affect your perception of the company, given that it was some rando demoing them from them in the first place.

This is much ado about nothing.

kickstand

I find it laughable that most of you guys think this can somehow be prevented by the demo dudes in the tent and would let if affect your perception of the company, given that it was some rando demoing them from them in the first place.

You're right, there is nothing the girl could do about it. I think she was more baffled that someone would just take the skis for the entire day. I felt bad for her because she had to keep giving folks the same story she gave me. I think it's more on the people using the skis than the reps. Not much you can do about it, though.

Doesn't affect my view of the company. I love what they're doing, who is backing the company, that they're made in the USA. I've always been a Volkl guy, but recently found out they manufacter in China. If it comes down to a Volkl and something else, that will be a factor.

I believe there is a Northeast Rep (or a few in the area) for RAMP so you may be able to hook up with them and let them know what happened. Maybe you can get out with one of them and try the set of skis you want? The Reps only get a few skis because they are sort of independant of RAMP being such a small company and all...

I own a set of Groundhogs and love them. Awesome quality and workmanship. Love that they are made in the USA!

What happened to you sucks tho! Dirtbags taking them all day...

The girl was pretty cool about the whole thing. She realized there wasn't much she could do. This is how a small, pretty much online only company gets the word out and gets people to try the products. Unfortunately, there wasn't much to try. And me, personally, I don't have the means to just drop $600 on skis based on what I read online anymore. I need to spend my money a little more wisely, and demoing is part of that.

The Groundhog was one of the ones I wanted to try, but also one of the models that was MIA.

bzrperfspec77

You're right, there is nothing the girl could do about it. I think she was more baffled that someone would just take the skis for the entire day. I felt bad for her because she had to keep giving folks the same story she gave me. I think it's more on the people using the skis than the reps. Not much you can do about it, though.

Doesn't affect my view of the company. I love what they're doing, who is backing the company, that they're made in the USA. I've always been a Volkl guy, but recently found out they manufacter in China. If it comes down to a Volkl and something else, that will be a factor.

The girl was pretty cool about the whole thing. She realized there wasn't much she could do. This is how a small, pretty much online only company gets the word out and gets people to try the products. Unfortunately, there wasn't much to try. And me, personally, I don't have the means to just drop $600 on skis based on what I read online anymore. I need to spend my money a little more wisely, and demoing is part of that.

The Groundhog was one of the ones I wanted to try, but also one of the models that was MIA.

I hear ya. I got mine during the time the production was backed up. They gave me free poles, free tyrolia bindings, free shipping (they get shipped with a ski bag as well) and an extra 10% off. It was a killer deal I couldn't pass up... I used them up at Sugarloaf and mostly in Brackett basin. They were nimble in the trees floating. Not so nimble on the cord! Took a while to get used to the massive underfoot width

kickstand

I hear ya. I got mine during the time the production was backed up. They gave me free poles, free tyrolia bindings, free shipping (they get shipped with a ski bag as well) and an extra 10% off. It was a killer deal I couldn't pass up... I used them up at Sugarloaf and mostly in Brackett basin. They were nimble in the trees floating. Not so nimble on the cord! Took a while to get used to the massive underfoot width

Wow. Pretty hard to pass up that deal, especially if you get to ski them in the right conditions. I don't get out as much as I used to, so I'm having a hard time justifying a dedicated powder ski.

Scruffy

Yeah, done it several times myself. Its not a big deal to look at how a ski is shaped, and make a general opinion on how the ski would perform. Most people can do this if theyre above say intermediate level.

This is much ado about nothing.

Laughable? Dude, you're reading way too much into this. No one is ragging on the company or say the demo dudes could do much about it. When I've gone to demo days and demoed a ski at a tent, they take your drivers license and credit card, and inform you that you have the ski for a few runs only, or to be back within the hour. Whether they did that here or not, we don't know. All we know is the OP reported that they kept the skis for 5 hours or so, all people are saying is, that sucks.

Do you think it's ok that the the demoers kept the skis out for 5 hours? The demo tent is usually only there one day, that really limits the exposure the company and the rep is trying get.