• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dinner thread...What's cooking...

snoseek

Enchiladas with chicken thats been working in the crock pot all day. I'm also knocking out two loaves of wheat bread for the week. I am never buying store bought bread again if I can help it...

deadheadskier

Staff member
. I am never buying store bought bread again if I can help it...

about 70% percent of the bread we eat is homemade. It would be 100% if my wife didn't get lazy. :lol: She's the baker, I'm the cook. She got into making bread about a year ago and makes the perfect sandwich loaf and gets better all the time with baguettes and what not.

snoseek

about 70% percent of the bread we eat is homemade. It would be 100% if my wife didn't get lazy. :lol: She's the baker, I'm the cook. She got into making bread about a year ago and makes the perfect sandwich loaf and gets better all the time with baguettes and what not.

Does she use a spray bottle or something to create steam for the crust.

For me its all about the quality. You just can't buy bread like this unless you shell out the big$$$ at a good bakery (try the beach pea in kittery..goood). The thing is its crazy how cheap it it for a simple loaf of whole wheat if you break it down. Pizza is another thing I get into making too, again great pizza for very little $$$$

deadheadskier

Staff member
Just a steam tray in the oven. I WISH we had a good convection oven. Makes all the difference IMO. It took her a few months to get her proof times, rests and bake temps straight, but her breads are pretty spot on now.

Definitely much shorter money to do all baking in house and it's a no brainer to do if you can create quality breads.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com

Wish I had the time to make bread still. I suppose I can start up the no-knead dough again. Better than nothing...