• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you talk work with your spouse/other???

drjeff

I get this quite often with myself a general dentist and my wife an orthodontist. Many folks tend to figure that our conversations at home more often than not will end up being about teeth. Truth is, unless it's a mutual patient, or something really funky that happened that day, the extent of the "work talk" that happens between us each day is Q "how was your day at work?" A "fine" or "busy" followed by "mine too" Even if we do have a mutual patient to discuss, it end up being atmost a 5 minute conversation.

How about everyone else?? Is work talk and involved thing or a cursory thing in your household??

frozencorn

Depends on how the day goes...If something is irking her about something that happened, we talk about it, which unfortunately can be often.

Me, I just keep my mouth shut.

bvibert

Staff member
Usually no, her eyes tend to glaze over if I start talking about work stuff.

Dr Skimeister

I try as much as possible to leave work at work. Likewise I leave home at home.

The occasional anecdote about something funny in the office might make it to dinner conversation.

MRGisevil

We do- to a limited extent. Given that we're rival firms working within a close proximity to one another there are many things we CANT say. We discuss the architectural community as a whole, but exclude any actual details pertaining to our respective firms. Mr. & Mrs. Smith, so to say.

Warp Daddy

Work ???? I vaguely remember such a concept ----:D

I left it at the college for the most part . She being a middle school librarian did too

However many nites when i served as president we used to invite Student groups over for dinner.. I felt they needed to see us as REAL people and i also remebered when i was an undergrad no-one KNEW who the Prez was

SO i aimed to make things a bit more student centered on MY SHIFT and we tried to keep it lite- hearted but ALWAYS made SURE to respond to any questions. One of the smarter things i did :D

With girls I've dated..I always do...but my Mom hates when my Dad talks about work..and since I work for my Dad..him and I sometimes have work discussions in front of my Mom which she hates to hear.

2knees

when my wife was working full time in the intensive care unit, i used to LOVE hearing her work stories. Talk about real life blood, guts, gore, brains popping out of noses etc. nasty stuff.

now that she is over at the childrens hospital, not so much. I dont like hearing about sick babies, crack babies, messed up parents who dont know how to deal with sick babies etc. its incredibly sad sometimes.

Paul

i've tried but, no joking, some of the stories bring me to tears. Its too much to hear sometimes.

I was about to make a witty reply with an anecdote but Sunshine here kinda killed the mood.

Thanks Pat.

*I don't blame ya tho' I can handle anything 'til it comes to kids.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I hate talking about work at home. Hate it. I don't want to relive anything that sucked at work. I left it at work and it should stay at work. Unless I had a great success or something fun, interesting, or exciting to share. Also, I hate coming home and hearing someone bitch about their shitty day. Reliving tense exchanges and all that crap. It makes me tense up. And then I zone out and try to find a way to end the coversation. Usually, I just jump online "to check my messages" (aka zone out in front of forums). When I say "how was work" what I mean is "sum up your work day in three words or less, please." Likewise with the S/O, if there was something really great and exciting that happened, I am all ears and want to share in the positive experience. The details bore me and being upset about something makes me tense and unhappy to be having the conversation.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
one of the problems with the bussiness i am in is that many of my clients are friends. so even when we are not at work we talk about work. try not to talk about work but it is something that is always on my mind but thats what happens when yuo run yo own bussiness.