• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you use the safety bar when riding a chairlift?

Do you use the safety bar?

• Refuse to use the bar under all circumstances.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dmc

Well duh, they don't allow snow boarders.

WTF does that have to do with anything?
I've ridden PLENTY of barless lifts with a snowboard attached to my foot..

Cornhead

I always do, unless sharing the chair with a stranger, I will ask if they want it down or not, and go which ever way they want. I use the foot rest to help raise my butt to slide my poles under my cheek. Last year at Greek I did this, and the foot rest broke off and fell to the ground, luckily it didn't hit anyone. I rarely use the foot rest solo, I will put one foot on it while sharing. It was weird skiing Santa Fe for the first time, I think only one of their chairs has bars, I felt kinda naked.

Puck it

My bad.

Collins as of last year does.
20111204b.jpg

Alta was relatively slow to provide safety bars on its chairlifts, introducing them to the Sunnyside lift in 2010 and then adding bars on the Collins, Sugarloaf, and Supreme chairs in the summer of 2011.

Cannonball

I usually don't use them unless I'm with kids or exceptionally high (physiologically or physically).

The only issues I have with them:
- Getting whacked in the head due to bad lift op bump (eg Zoomer Chair at Cannon)
- Getting whacked in the head due to clueless fellow riders
- Footrests that you can't fit a snowboard through. It's bad enough having your board hanging from one foot, but when it's leveraged under the bar it can be brutal.

bdfreetuna

Most of the time. If I'm sitting on the side of the chair, and can hang on to the side rail, not always. If I get stuck in the middle where there's nothing to hold on to I always put it down / ask to have it lowered if I'm with randoms.

More likely to lower it in windy conditions or chairs with scary drops.

Some chairs like Magic's Red I will always lower the bar on after being stuck on it the day it broke and it kept slipping back and bouncing up and down while they were trying to get it going again.

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
I always use the bar when available but don't insist others too. Therefore there is no answer that applies for me in the poll.

I know the poll isn't fool-proof, but doesn't that put you into the category "Usually use bar, except when riding with strangers" since you always use the bar except sometimes when you are with other people?

Cheese

WTF does that have to do with anything?
I've ridden PLENTY of barless lifts with a snowboard attached to my foot..

It was a completely random correlation. Sorry to set the hook so deep in your mouth. Lighten up, there's a 3 ski/ride day weekend starting tomorrow.:beer:

Puck it

I usually don't use them unless I'm with kids or exceptionally high (physiologically or physically).

- Footrests that you can't fit a snowboard through. It's bad enough having your board hanging from one foot, but when it's leveraged under the bar it can be brutal.

Do you want some cheese too!!!:beer:

dmc

It was a completely random correlation. Sorry to set the hook so deep in your mouth. Lighten up, there's a 3 ski/ride day weekend starting tomorrow.:beer:

Cool... I don't get MLK off... boooooo!!!!