• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does it always piss hot rain right before or on Christmas in eastern ski country or does if just seem that way?

Kingslug20

Their site says 5 inches but heavy winds and 30 below windchills....
I'm out

deadheadskier

Staff member
No power at Gunstock now. The plan was to open back up after closing yesterday but…

Two Saturdays in a row. I got screwed last Saturday with the power outage at Gunstock. Should have checked the snow report before driving up

ctdubl07

And it's looking like another warm up next wknd with possible rain. This is now our new normal for Xmas-NYs....should just pin this thread.

John9

And it's looking like another warm up next wknd with possible rain. This is now our new normal for Xmas-NYs....should just pin this thread.
It looks like the January Thaw came a week earlier, hoping for a great MLK long weekend.

Kingslug20

Had a fleeting thought of tremblant for the weekend...weather report squashed that. :(

ThatGuy

Weekend rain and temps in the mid 50’s next week 👎🏻
I’ll be in Idaho second week of January, hopefully the weather is better there…

abc

My pass is blackout anyway. So I’ve planned other activities for this week…

But, despite the rain and (thanks to?) the ‘flash freeze’, most places held onto their snow from the last storm, albeit all turned into ice. Still, with clever snow farming and grooming, the snow surfaces ‘regenerate’ surprisingly well on top of the ice base. No more bare dirt or grass poking through…

I’m talking about cross country ski resorts. But I have reason to believe downhill mountains have similar results. Those with good snow making should come out pretty good.

So, by Monday, or better yet Tuesday, a lot of the resorts are back to decent condition from what I heard. Wednesday would be even better. Today, despite the 45 degree temperature, the snow surface was actually cool enough to NOT be a pool of slush. Just soft carv-able snow. But god, falling means hitting the solid ice underneath. Let’s just say I learn pretty fast to avoid falling at all cost (but not fast enough nonetheless, as the bruises on my thigh evidences)

All in all, I got in a few good days of skiing (cross country). Still, I would have been pretty depressed had I not planned other things for the holiday.

Kingslug20

Wednesday night after the rain..cold front moves in.
Hopefully tomorrow morning stowe and SB will have a little snow falling...for a little while..