• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does it always piss hot rain right before or on Christmas in eastern ski country or does if just seem that way?

Smellytele

Up in North Conway for the week. Going to hit pleasant tomorrow as it seems to have the most stuff open at a reasonable price. Have a Wildcat day pass but will wait until later in the week. Probably Friday. May venture in to Maine again Thursday need to replenish the stash…

Edd

I'm just gonna ski in the rain because at this point I am way below average on days and I got the good new goretex
I’m in the same boat on number of days but I’m not at the skiing-in-the-rain level of desperation quite yet 🤣

KustyTheKlown

I started 2022/2023 with 14 days of skiing and 5 in a row were bigtime pow days on 12/17-18 and 12/27-29. The sky isn’t falling. It’s the January thaw. All you chicken littles need to relax. That being said, the scadenfraude of reading gapers crying on skiology Facebook and indy passholders Facebook is absolutely delicious

The best is chief gapers new massive rant crying about people being mean to snowboarders, where he steps up to the line of comparing anti snowboard discrimination with racism

Kingslug20

I definitely have more days up to this point than last year...but..last year didn't have this thaw...one of the few.
At SB now...

KustyTheKlown

I definitely have more days up to this point than last year...but..last year didn't have this thaw...one of the few.
At SB now...
It did tho. It dumped 2+ feet on vermont just after Xmas and it was entirely washed away. Last year or maybe the year before if it wasn’t last

cdskier

I have more days this year than last year (8 vs 5), but I'm also not in any rush to get out there and ski in these conditions at this point. Probably won't even bother driving up to VT this coming weekend. If I was already at the mountain, I'd ski even if just a few runs. But to drive 5 hours each way for a handful of groomers isn't overly appealing.

ThatGuy

Last year I got 50 something days with ~5 real powder ones. On track to eclipse that already and its only the start of January. Never know what the season will bring. Last season had pretty mediocre conditions until spring, which was great coverage and conditions wise.

zyk

What egg nog can’t, a couple of hours on my mountain bike did :)
A few hours with a chainsaw did it for me.

And no I was not chasing the elderly, children, or neighborhood cats...

Just firewood for next year 🙂

abc

I wish it doesn’t rain quite so much. :(

The trail had muddy sections. And at one big mud puddle, a couple with a dog stopped to let me pass, at the edge of the puddle where I would had prefer to go to avoid the worst of the mud… :(

Today is bike cleaning day. ;)

Kingslug20

Wasn't even real eggnog...oatnog...not too bad.
Stowe is in good shape for what's open...and no rain till tonight now...

drjeff

Have to admit that I wasn't too sad when I got the email from Wachusett earlier today saying that they were canceling their evening session tonight where I was supposed to be coaching my youngest kids high school ski team.... Low/mid 40's and a steady rain just isn't fun at all to stand on the side of a race course watching your athletes spend more time pond skimming through any ruts than actually getting some quality training in....

This weather the last almost week now, just sucks!!

kevinm55

What egg nog can’t, a couple of hours on my mountain bike did :)
abc - same deal on my end, a little throttle therapy makes the horrific conditions a little less top of mind quickly!!

Attachments

• 9CB8B6FC-4B29-43E1-AEDB-967799CCB127.jpeg
    9CB8B6FC-4B29-43E1-AEDB-967799CCB127.jpeg
    7.9 MB · Views: 4

Smellytele

Went to Pleasant mtn yesterday . Nice skin up and then 10 runs or so. Cheapest around as it was only $54. Everywhere else had less terrain and/or cost way more. 109 for both cranmore and SR. Wildcat only has 2 ways down and didn’t want to blow my one $45 epic ticket on it.
Today skinned up cranmore twice for $15 before the cold drizzle started. Drinking now at Ledge.