• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does it always piss hot rain right before or on Christmas in eastern ski country or does if just seem that way?

drjeff

Just get on a plane and go to UT now! Pics of the youngest kid (in the Blue coat) and his good friend and some of their tracks with the Park City Powder Cats today!

My wife and I are truly wondering if he will be getting on the plane tomorrow and flying home!
20230107_104053(1).jpg

Attachments

• 20230107_150749.jpg
    20230107_150749.jpg
    462.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230107_120413.jpg
    20230107_120413.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 34

Kingslug20

Booked 26th...but now...would be better.
Looking out my window now...hmmm...snow..

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Decided to blow off skiing when I woke today. Tracking # of days in a skison shouldn't be a reason to ski when the likely conditions and crowds won't otherwise justify the time and expense of driving- even with a pass. It will be scratchy with bare spots anywhere I would go, and lots of people on limited terrain.

KustyTheKlown

Decided to blow off skiing when I woke today. Tracking # of days in a skison shouldn't be a reason to ski when the likely conditions and crowds won't otherwise justify the time and expense of driving- even with a pass. It will be scratchy with bare spots anywhere I would go, and lots of people on limited terrain.

It’s empty at Stratton and the coverage on what is open is good. They had ikon early ups at 745. I’m about to bag it with 17k at 10am and get home

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

It’s empty at Stratton and the coverage on what is open is good. They had ikon early ups at 745. I’m about to bag it with 17k at 10am and get home
Would have been Hunter, Jack Frost or Roundtop for me today - with the best terrain at all of them closed. That is what I opted out of.

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

Looks like the pattern of pissing rain storms may end in 10 days. Seems like last year when the 2nd half of the winter was colder.

Edd

I hit BW for my 4th day of the season today and confess I’m having the same thoughts. I’m maybe 8 days short from the average pace and the conditions were uninspiring. Dropped my carvers off for a tune, and hope to have a better day tomorrow. This is my slowest season in many years.

Kingslug20

I imagine n vt is too far a drive?
It's not bad for what we are dealing with now..certainly enough to spend a day.

KustyTheKlown

360_F_64497732_QK44uMVPPHbQtTzz7BZrYPZAFEUE1rYH.jpg

we stand on guard for thee

NYDB

Saturday will suck. Most places should be back to ok on Sunday and Monday. snowmaking should resume at most places late Friday night / early Sat morning and should be able to run through Monday morning.

Smellytele

My sons keep calling me today from Loveland telling me how great it is. Over a foot of powder and dumping all day.
Me? I skinned up Pats peak on Man made and choose the wrong down hill route over packed frozen.
Tomorrow may hit Whaleback late morning/early afternoon before it turns to rain late afternoon after working the morning in White River. If they are even open.
Saturday thinking of Bolton (with the wife and middle son who isn't in CO right now) as Friday it turns back to snow early afternoon there.

tumbler

Whaleback looked nowhere near openable on Sunday when I drove by.

thebigo

Looks like the pattern of pissing rain storms may end in 10 days. Seems like last year when the 2nd half of the winter was colder.

2007 I skied K on MLK weekend in a t shirt, start of the season was so bad ASC waived the MLK weekend blackouts on the cheap pass. Then Valentines day happened, most snow I have ever seen in a single storm, kept snowing for another couple months with st Patty's day and Easter dumps.

2015 ground was bare on MLK weekend then January 27 happened, followed by storms right through February. Around 100" in a four week period.

Point being, it can happen.

Last edited:

Edd

Snow is gonna happen guys. I’ve got Utah planned for late Jan and other members here are doing stuff around that time so eastern snow must be triggered by one of us.