• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does it always piss hot rain right before or on Christmas in eastern ski country or does if just seem that way?

Kingslug20

Snow is gonna happen guys. I’ve got Utah planned for late Jan and other members here are doing stuff around that time so eastern snow must be triggered by one of us.
I'm in Utah 26th..guaranteed snow here

teleo

Snow is gonna happen guys. I’ve got Utah planned for late Jan and other members here are doing stuff around that time so eastern snow must be triggered by one of us.
Heading west for 3 weeks starting presidents week. It'll flip and snow here

Reactions: abc

Kingslug20

Wondering if a quick trip to Tremblant this coming week is worth it...just for variety.

Scottyskis2

Weather forecast for mid Hudson Valley some winter precautions should be used as always depending on elevations and location forecast below:
"""Thursday AM Update

Happy Thursday, Hudson Valley! Some scattered light snow showers have moved into the region, having started just before 6am in some places. The snow is very light, and temperatures are right around (if not above) freezing. The result should be mainly wet roads, with a dusting to a slushy half inch possible in a few spots. They higher elevations above 1500 feet could see a bit more, but not much… as the precipitation is light and scattered.

Temps will slowly rise as we go thru the day… but they will rise more quickly up in the atmosphere, so the snow showers will mix with sleet and change to rain toward mid day. There is likely to be a period this afternoon where the rain tapers off, or just some patchy drizzle is falling. Before another batch of rain showers moves in near sunset. From there on and off periods of rain will be with us through the night. Anywhere from 0.25” to 0.50” of rain is likely, with some locally higher amounts.

Feel free to share conditions and observations in the Observations post, or in the comments below (remember to include your location). Have a good start to your day!

-Bill

Image 1: 7:30am Temperatures
Image 2: 7:30am Hudson Valley Radar"""

eatskisleep

Man this forecast is just depressing right now! Hope we get a turn around and some snow soon!

KustyTheKlown

Wondering if a quick trip to Tremblant this coming week is worth it...just for variety.

its a no brainer for you starting from vermont and being able to go midweek.

the Canadian dollar is so weak that is basically free, and the snow is better than anywhere else you can drive, and the skiing is free if you have an ikon and i think you do?

Razor

Don't ever, ever go to Tremblant on a weekend. Midweek, yes, but weekend, never. Think Loon on steroids.

Reactions: Edd

KustyTheKlown

Don't ever, ever go to Tremblant on a weekend. Midweek, yes, but weekend, never. Think Loon on steroids.

i agree generally and held that position until recently. but over xmas i had no place else to go that actually had snow and tree skiing. doing it solo it was manageable. parking on the north side and arriving before 8 am and running singles line all day. with any other people, or with basing at south/village, its a fucking nightmare.

I'm super annoyed that i needed to go to tremblant for xmas and need to go for MLK to ski actual snow.

KustyTheKlown

Serious, but stupid question. Do they speak English there? or should I say do they willingly speak english there?

at mont tremblant itself, yes. there are a lot of torontans and ottowans there.

in the surroundings, no not really.

over xmas i stayed about 20 miles from tremblant in the direction of Montreal in a town called st agathe des monts. the hotel was able to speak to me in English. i went to a pub for dinner one night, the bartender could speak to me, but the patrons could not. one guy asked me a question, i asked if he could speak English, he could not, total impasse. at another restaurant the waitress could not speak to me whatsoever as well.

a few years ago we stayed in a town about 15 minutes PAST tremblant, and we might as well have been in France.

they are proudly franco as soon as you get away from Montreal isalnd

Kingslug20

its a no brainer for you starting from vermont and being able to go midweek.

the Canadian dollar is so weak that is basically free, and the snow is better than anywhere else you can drive, and the skiing is free if you have an ikon and i think you do?
Yup..sounds like a plan

jimmywilson69

Thanks KK. That is what I thought about French Canada, but wasn't sure. Doesn't bother me and likely wouldn't prevent me from going, but good to know what I'd be getting myself into. I certainly can't speak French. Hell my english is rather poor :ROFLMAO: