• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does it always piss hot rain right before or on Christmas in eastern ski country or does if just seem that way?

2Planker

We love Tremblant and MSA. Quebec City is a hoot at Winter Carnival 🍾🎉🍺
Never had a problem except for having to buy Windshield Washer Fluid in French about 25 miles over the border.

cdskier

There are plenty of cards that do not charge a foreign transaction fee.

Yes...and also plenty that do. Just have to know which ones do and which ones don't. And if you don't make international charges often, it can be easy to forget about that.

drjeff

33 a few miles South of Mount Snow right now... The West Branch of the Deerfield River along side of route 100 is looking like it's at its Spring run off full levels currently. Ground in general though still has a couple of inches of some soon to be frozen solid snow on it. Going to have to give a few extra passes of the tuning files over the families skis this evening for sure!!

Attachments

• 20230113_164650.jpg
    20230113_164650.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10

abc

Only if you're living in the 1950s. We have things in the 21st century called snowmaking and grooming!
Enjoy your well groomed man-made non-ice then.

I know what it will be like. But hey, if you have so much faith with all those ”modern technology”, have fun!

And I don’t want to hear any mentioning of other out-of-control skiers sliding into you either.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Enjoy your well groomed man-made non-ice then.

I know what it will be like. But hey, if you have so much faith with all those ”modern technology”, have fun!

And I don’t want to hear any mentioning of other out-of-control skiers sliding into you either.
Thanks. I will make the best of it and be enjoying it. What will you be doing?

abc

Of course
But will you be enjoying it?
of course. I’ve learnt to skate precisely for days like that. I don’t enjoy skiing ice. But skating is just perfect! (I could have gone up to Quebec like KTK does too)

I see people riding their bike in pouring rain. I’m sure they ‘try’ to enjoy it too. I prefer to do water sport on days like that. White water rafting in the rain is a blast. You’re going to get wet from above and below…

Last edited:

jaytrem

my chase freedom card got hammered with foreign transaction fees last time

i use a citibank card for gas because of particular gas related benefits, and there were no foreign transaction fees on my statement, so i am going to use that card for everything this weekend
Sounds like you're ready to start playing the credit card game! Imagine, all the free flights you can handle.

drjeff

Of course

of course. I’ve learnt to skate precisely for days like that. I don’t enjoy skiing ice. But skating is just perfect! (I could have gone up to Quebec like KTK does too)

I see people riding their bike in pouring rain. I’m sure they ‘try’ to enjoy it too. I prefer to do water sport on days like that. White water rafting in the rain is a blast. You’re going to get wet from above and below
I don't know, personally for me, any day, great or not so great, 50k vertical or a day like yesterday for me where coaching my Highschool team I got 2 runs and 650 vert over 2hrs, it's all just a great time on the hill doing the sport I have truly loved for almost 45yrs now

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I don't know, personally for me, any day, great or not so great, 50k vertical or a day like yesterday for me where coaching my Highschool team I got 2 runs and 650 vert over 2hrs, it's all just a great time on the hill doing the sport I have truly loved for almost 45yrs now
My attitude towards skiing mirrors that of DrJeff. Namely, it's all good: just various gradations of good.

I am retired. From November to May, I ski. My only criterion to ski: Nearby availability of snow. If lifts aren't running, I hike or skin up. I don't cherry pick my days. Every condition has its merits. Some make me appreciate the great days. All make me a better skier.

Last season, I skied 144 days and I am well on my way to matching that this season. Amongst the crowd with whom I ski regularly, I am considerred a slacker: They all are better skiers than I am. They all ski more days and more vertical than I do.

Climate change is damaging skiing. We used to be able to count on Killington's opening by early to mid-October. Now, we are lucky to open in early November.

As this trend continues, we have 3-choices:
1. Enjoy what there is
2. Travel long distances ala KustyTheKlown
3. Do something else ala abc

I choose option 1.

Kingslug20

Thats..a lot of days...
I'm finding that skiing almost every day wears me out a bit. Can there be...too much skiing?

abc

It’s not something “else”, it’s something a great deal more fun!

Climate change notwithstanding, there’s more to life than skiing every day. Skiing isn’t everything, it’s just ONE of the many fun things that makes up “life”.

I’m far more of a cycling nut than I’m a skiing nut. Still, I won’t bike on rainy days. Nor do I ski on days of refrozen rain.

abc

Thats..a lot of days...
I'm finding that skiing almost every day wears me out a bit. Can there be...too much skiing?
There can be too much of everything! To me anyway.

I try to get a variety of the same thing so it doesn’t start to feel like a hamster on a wheel too soon. I even tried telemark to again get some variety.

Though for now, I’m more inclined to chase powder out west. But an unfortunate side effect of that is it spoiled skiing in the east for me. I’m far less tolerant to lousy conditions in the east now the more I stay out west.

As much as I enjoy skiing, it’s only recreational. I used to love what I do for a living. Couldn’t believe I get paid to do it every day. Skiing doesn’t even come to that level of fun.

But after 30 years, even that love started to feel like eating thanksgiving leftover turkey. There’re only so many different ways you can remake it till they all taste the same. By not skiing on lousy days, maybe it won’t get old quite so soon.

Granite1

Been to Tremblant and St. Anne a few times. Never had a problem with language, or currency for that matter. Enjoyed both places although it was cold at St. Anne. Talking -26F cold.
The abbreviation for Sainte Anne is Ste. Anne.