• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does it always piss hot rain right before or on Christmas in eastern ski country or does if just seem that way?

KustyTheKlown

agreed! i don't claim to be an expert but the amount of bitching by totally clueless dummies, mainly on facebook groups, is outrageous.

jimmywilson69

Social Media is full of Keyboard warriors. People have been bitching at Roundtop for not making snow. It hasn't hardly been below 30 since Christmas. If these people actually showed up they'd see they have made snow whenever possible.

skiur

While I agree that lifts need to be deiced and cant be run until they are, it does seem that in the past resorts used to have crews come in early and start deicing earlier so that at least some lifts can open at start time and the other lifts arent far behind. These days they seem to have employees come in at normal time to start deicing which makes it later by the time they get them going.

machski

SR North in Maine should avoid most of the non crystalline flake stuff. Saddleback and SL for sure. Regardless, most ME meteorologists believe the ME mountains will get a foot or so before anything else given up 2"/hr snow rates forecasted from midnight to 3am.

BodeMiller1

Here's band 7 - Short wave off NOAA

What I'm getting out of this is we're f#cKed...;

Butt, hey ice is a good start. Que the cable cats. No meow here...

Attachments

• Weather.jpg
    Weather.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 13
  • OUT.jpg
    OUT.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 13

abc

These days they seem to have employees come in at normal time to start deicing which makes it later by the time they get them going.
Having employees coming in early, the mountain would have to pay them extra. With the increase on minimum wage for employees, that would hurt the bottom line.

drjeff

While I agree that lifts need to be deiced and cant be run until they are, it does seem that in the past resorts used to have crews come in early and start deicing earlier so that at least some lifts can open at start time and the other lifts arent far behind. These days they seem to have employees come in at normal time to start deicing which makes it later by the time they get them going.

Considering that most of the lift ops folks are on the hill doing their daily inspections long before the mountain opens for the day, not so sure this is the case as much as it seems like we now have more areas with more detachble lifts which require a greater amount of time to de-ice as well as mother nature seeming to give us storms that are producing a greater quantity of ice, more frequently, across more of ski country than she used to.

Much easier and quiker to get a fixed grip lift de-iced in most ice storms than a detachable, as with a fixed grip, you can start moving the haul rope without each grip needing to be de-iced and have the lift safely moving quicker, whereas with a detachable, you often have to de-ice every grip so that the chairs come off the haul rope and then re-attach to the haul rope in the terminals.

For multiple reasons, it's tough at most resorts to make a comparison about how it's happening now vs how it was say 10+ years ago when it comes to handling icing events and the effect thy have on operations

skiur

Considering that most of the lift ops folks are on the hill doing their daily inspections long before the mountain opens for the day, not so sure this is the case as much as it seems like we now have more areas with more detachble lifts which require a greater amount of time to de-ice as well as mother nature seeming to give us storms that are producing a greater quantity of ice, more frequently, across more of ski country than she used to.

Much easier and quiker to get a fixed grip lift de-iced in most ice storms than a detachable, as with a fixed grip, you can start moving the haul rope without each grip needing to be de-iced and have the lift safely moving quicker, whereas with a detachable, you often have to de-ice every grip so that the chairs come off the haul rope and then re-attach to the haul rope in the terminals.

For multiple reasons, it's tough at most resorts to make a comparison about how it's happening now vs how it was say 10+ years ago when it comes to handling icing events and the effect thy have on operations

I can only really speak of Killington as I don't ski any other resorts enough to know but in the last 10 years only 1 lift (Snowdon quad) has been upgraded to a detachable so I don't see that being the problem. They just don't start deicing early like they did a decade ago. Definitely more instances of needing to deice this decade than last.

drjeff

And looking like the dreaded big dry slot that developed this afternoon should make Slug's travel South much easier

drjeff

maybe the dry slot will help limit the rain for SoVt later tonight
Time will tell..

Mount Snow mtn ops tweeted out a few hours ago that some patience may be needed tomorrow morning as they are anticipating the need for de icing lifts....

Fingers crossed that it's not much more than a light glaze

Kingslug20

Once we got near ct it was pouring in buckets..not a fun ride at all...the ride through vt with some snow was much easier...

Newpylong

I can only really speak of Killington as I don't ski any other resorts enough to know but in the last 10 years only 1 lift (Snowdon quad) has been upgraded to a detachable so I don't see that being the problem. They just don't start deicing early like they did a decade ago. Definitely more instances of needing to deice this decade than last.
They still start well before dawn at Killington I can say that as a fact.

Mainer

A nasty crust in the mwv. The fluffy powder was so nice earlier this week

snoseek

A nasty crust in the mwv. The fluffy powder was so nice earlier this week
Wildcat claiming 14 inches. I know it probably mixed in but they probably got a lot less wet up there for sure.

Mainer

I contemplated going up to the cat but not motivated. Maybe I’ll hit pleasant for some spring skiing this afternoon