• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does it always piss hot rain right before or on Christmas in eastern ski country or does if just seem that way?

snoseek

I contemplated going up to the cat but not motivated. Maybe I’ll hit pleasant for some spring skiing this afternoon
Its probably a rough day up there. I cant get back out till monday I'm hoping the weekend crowd chops it all up and maybe a little fluff on top by then. Everthing will be super filled now it was well covered yesterday on trails like upper Wildcat

machski

Quite sleet compacted in Bethel, woke up to sleet pelting the house around 330a. Driveway had about 5 inches but it was dense stuff from the sleet. Nice freezing rain coat on top too. Oh well, net gain of material and compaction should set woods up nicely. Now, back to the snow please Ulr...

KustyTheKlown

i am doing jay saturday, no concerns. i reserved magic sunday. think i prob cancel that and stick to stratton sunday where they will have time to resurface and stuff. save magic for when more better.

KustyTheKlown

magic's site is throwing a DNS error for me. but when you google and see the preview for the snow report page, you can see it begins with "6 AM - Ouch!"

Smellytele

1/26 6am: Ouch! This storm did not do anything like it was originally predicted and it will have an impact on operations today. The Upper Mountain has a good solid layer of ice .25″ from overnight r**n, on top of 3-4″ of snow from yesterday. This icing is also on the Red Lift towers. Because of both, we are going to work on opening Green Lift to mid-mtn and Brownie reports the conditions on the lower half should be softer and skiable–about 15 trails.

skiur

They still start well before dawn at Killington I can say that as a fact.
Well being that dawn is 7:00 in December/January that isn't saying much, they certainly didn't have this issue a decade ago. It's really a moot point for me as I have become a fair weather skier in my older years and am not out there for first chair when icing is an issue.

NYDB

yeah this storm took a big shit on us south of K in VT. reminds me of a storm last year we had.

its looking like we aren't even going to get the courtesy of a reach around from this one south of da bush.

Edd

Gunstock got 3-4 and skiing nicely. A bit warmer here so ice impact minimized.

ThatGuy

Stowe got a drizzle for about an hour then right back to snow. Been coming down steady all day. I’m sure Jay fared even better, Saturday should be awesomw.

Newpylong

Well being that dawn is 7:00 in December/January that isn't saying much, they certainly didn't have this issue a decade ago. It's really a moot point for me as I have become a fair weather skier in my older years and am not out there for first chair when icing is an issue.
They didn't have delays due to icing 10 years ago? Sorry gotta throw the red flag on that.

KustyTheKlown

Stowe got a drizzle for about an hour then right back to snow. Been coming down steady all day. I’m sure Jay fared even better, Saturday should be awesomw.
jay is now 100% open. im stoked. gonna be a good one.

stratton sunday i think. magic no bueno.

skiur

They didn't have delays due to icing 10 years ago? Sorry gotta throw the red flag on that.
Of course they had delays, they weren't as long and often, they would get in earlier to get them going, but you are the almighty know everything that can't ever be wrong so not sure why I was bothering her but I will stop now.

KustyTheKlown

guns are back on at stratton and the gondola is swinging liberally in the wind

<iframe width="1200" height="675" src="
" title="Summit Cam At Stratton Mountain Resort" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Newpylong

Of course they had delays, they weren't as long and often, they would get in earlier to get them going, but you are the almighty know everything that can't ever be wrong so not sure why I was bothering her but I will stop now.
Oh I'm wrong plenty and I'm the first to admit, but on this one I'm not. Perception doesn't always equal reality. As I said in my first post, I can unequivocally state that de-icing procedures there are no different now than a decade ago. What has changed is lack of people in the trade. What lift mechanics they have are in there as early (or even earlier) than they've ever been.

Smellytele

Oh I'm wrong plenty and I'm the first to admit, but on this one I'm not. Perception doesn't always equal reality. As I said in my first post, I can unequivocally state that de-icing procedures there are no different now than a decade ago. What has changed is lack of people in the trade. What lift mechanics they have are in there as early (or even earlier) than they've ever been.
Has there been more ice events in more recent years?
question not statement...

drjeff

Has there been more ice events in more recent years?
question not statement...

While I haven't scrolled back through any weather logs to confirm this, I would think that there certainly are more today than in years past, especially across many of the central and Northern New England resorts where latitude often "saved" them from those storm that would have a mix and/or mix + rain component to them to the South