• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does the "skiers code" need to be updated?

Cheese

Do not go on trails that are above your ability.

I think we all test ourselves and wind up in this situation. We search for a trail or section of a trail that puts us in over our head, repeat it over and over again until we've mastered it then move on to something else over our head.

MadMadWorld

What is the point of updating the skier code? Does anyone really read it? Wasting time trying to control what other people will do can make a person crazy. It takes me about 15 minutes into my morning commute to realize how futile this is. I rather take precautions and be defensive than put myself in a situation where I have to assume the other person knows what they should be doing.

dmc

First of all - relying on audio cues is not good.. I ski with a deaf person.. And a person who can't hear out of one ear.. I'm dyslexic.. So. there's that... there's helmets and wind.. And frankly - some just don't want to hear it...

Second... i could go on and on about being treated badly by skiers when i snowboard and being treated badly by snowboarders when I ski... I even get yelled at when I telemark.. haha... Can't comment on snowblades..

And C... :) I and most riders i know will ride with their backs to the trees in runouts and crowded trails... That way we can see the entire trail... In fact i can look back up the hill and have a complete understanding of what's going on uphill - something skier cannot do unless they switch...

Cheese

In fact i can look back up the hill and have a complete understanding of what's going on uphill - something skier cannot do unless they switch...

Every time I carve a turn I can have a look up the hill by turning my head 1/4 turn. The only time I wouldn't know what was behind me was if my tips were pointed straight down for a length of time. In that situation there's likely no one behind me but wa-loaf and I trust him back there or to safely execute a pass.

dmc

Every time I carve a turn I can have a look up the hill by turning my head 1/4 turn.

But can you look uphill before initiating that turn... I know you're going "yes"... :)

And also - not everyone - is good enough to pull that off.. Most people are bound to follow their face... :)
A head turn like that throws off balance...

dmc

So..... How'd I know you'd be the first to comment negatively???? .

Sorry - do you live in a world where everyone agrees with you? :)

Are you saying I shouldn't rely on audio clues?

No I'm saying you shouldn't trust that cue - not clue... I don't want to decipher a clue with some guy breathing down my neck... I want a command if I'm needed to move.

I'm not saying it won't work but it's problematic..

A whistle.. maybe you can trust...

steamboat1

But can you look uphill before initiating that turn... I know you're going "yes"... :)

And also - not everyone - is good enough to pull that off.. Most people are bound to follow their face... :)
A head turn like that throws off balance...
Beginners spend more time looking up the hill than down the hill. Amazing how they can be that good right away.

Bene288

I was taught to always make quick looks while skiing. Just like driving, how long can you drive without looking in the rear view? I can go maybe 10 seconds without it starting to bug me.

I don't know how it is on a snowboard, but it seems like it would throw you off balance a little more. But from what I've seen, it's usually skiers that drift into my line more than snowboarders.

I never took lessons, but that should be a solid principle the instructors instill in their students. I ski with people who grew up taking lessons every weekend, and they are good riders/skiers..but they NEVER look up before starting out or making wide turns. It makes no sense to me. They're great riders but lack such common sense and respect for other people on the mountain. It's all me, me, me. The only thing that I can gather from that is that they weren't instructed properly. That's where the change needs to happen.

Maybe we should all start wearing mirrors on our helmets.

dmc

I snowboard and ski/tele... The field of vision is different.. Both have blind spots - no way around that. Difference is where that blind spot is and how far you can actually turn your head before you lose your balance. The better you are the less likely you are to lose your balance on skis and board..

To me...
Glancing all the way uphill is easier on a snowboard by virtue of the sideways stance. And with your back to the wall you can see almost everything going on for the entire trail..

I can't see directly behind me when I ski or tele... Maybe out on a turn.. But I tend to rock the falline.. :) And if my chin goes any further than the front of my shoulder I going to have an issue.. haha... Body position is WAY less forgiving on skis..

HD333

I've taught my girls it is all about self preservation and self awareness, not just on the slopes but in life.

The skier/rider code isn't going to help anyone if you end up in the meat sled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmc

I've taught my girls it is all about self preservation and self awareness, not just on the slopes but in life.

The skier/rider code isn't going to help anyone if you end up in the meat sled.

...word...

jack97

I never took lessons, but that should be a solid principle the instructors instill in their students. I ski with people who grew up taking lessons every weekend, and they are good riders/skiers..but they NEVER look up before starting out or making wide turns. It makes no sense to me. They're great riders but lack such common sense and respect for other people on the mountain. It's all me, me, me. The only thing that I can gather from that is that they weren't instructed properly. That's where the change needs to happen.

You ever notice those ski instructors w/a bunch of people, they will take up the width of the trail making the long serpentine with the follow the leader drill they do.

They should be the first to look up hill when they take the width of the trails.

catskills

You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.
Why does this matter if the uphill skier is ALWAYS responsible for what's happening down hill?

Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.

Again... Why does this matter if the uphill skier is ALWAYS responsible for what's happening down hill?

There are few things that are being mentioned here that are not accurate. The skier responsibility code says:
"People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them."
It does NOT say skier downhill from you has the right of way. The key word here is "ahead" . The key word "ahead" is extremely important when skiers and riders are traversing across a hill. In the case of a traverse across a hill, the skier must avoid people ahead, which includes skiers that are going straight down the fall line from above.

The other thing to realize is that in a court of law there are percents of responsibility with more than 50% responsible being important threshold. Being declare "mostly" at fault is bad. Being declared 10 percent at fault is not so bad.

Years ago I had car accident. When I called the other person's car insurance The adjuster originally declared me 40% responsible. On the phone I complained to the insurance adjuster. The adjuster made an important statement. She told me, "All drivers have a duty to avoid accidents even when you have not done anything wrong. " This is consistent with the first bullet in the code below. I made my point known that I thought the other person was more at fault than 60%. The adjuster agreed to make me only 35% responsible. It was at this point that I realized this adjuster is willing to deal on the phone. I debated the accident some more and got the adjuster to agree to make me only 30% responsible and the other driver would be 70% responsible. I took the deal that meant the other persons auto insurance would pay 70% of my car damages.

How important is the code asked here in this thread? Well the code is very important in a court of law. If your like one young man that killed a women in Laramie Bowl a few years ago at Jackson Hole, the code was extremely important.

Know the Code

The National Ski Areas Association established "Your Responsibility Code" in 1966 as a code of ethics for all skiers on the mountain. Today, the code reflects not only skier safety, but snowboarder and lift safety as well. Ultimately, safe skiing and snowboarding on the mountain is each person's responsibility. Following the Responsibility Code helps all skiers and snowboarders have a safer mountain experience.

Your Responsibility Code

• Safety on the slopes is everyone's responsibility. Ski safely-not only for yourself, but for others as well.
  • Always stay in control and be able to stop or avoid objects.
  • People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
  • Do not stop where you obstruct the trail or are not visible from above.
  • Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, yield to others.
  • Always use devices to help prevent runaway equipment.
  • Observe all posted signs and warnings.
  • Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.
  • Prior to using any lift, you must know how to load, ride, and unload safely.

Domeskier

I ski with people who grew up taking lessons every weekend, and they are good riders/skiers..but they NEVER look up before starting out or making wide turns. It makes no sense to me. They're great riders but lack such common sense and respect for other people on the mountain. It's all me, me, me. The only thing that I can gather from that is that they weren't instructed properly.

Do these skiers show the same lack of regard when overtaking downhill skiers? Or have they just been indoctrinated by their instructors with the common interpretation of the code that the burden for avoiding collisions rests solely on the uphill skier? Of course, trusting your bodily integrity to a code that is purely aspirational and general only enforced by people yelling into the wind is somewhat foolish in my opinion.

Bene288

Do these skiers show the same lack of regard when overtaking downhill skiers? Or have they just been indoctrinated by their instructors with the common interpretation of the code that the burden for avoiding collisions rests solely on the uphill skier? Of course, trusting your bodily integrity to a code that is purely aspirational and general only enforced by people yelling into the wind is somewhat foolish in my opinion.

They are very cautious while skiing and exercise that while passing, hitting jumps, etc, and generally very respectful to people on the mountain. I guess it was just never pushed into their heads while they were learning. You could chock that up to just one bad instructor but it seems to be too often occurrence.