• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Drone view of ski resort

hiroto

Came across interesting video from Wawa - birds eye view of the resort taken by drone.

I'm fantasizing of a drone, programmed to autonomously fly with me while I'm skiing and take video of me.

Bene288

They use drones for all of the free skiing video. I was watching the x games from Aspen today and was wondering what the whirring sound was. Pretty cool but uneasy at the same time.

drjeff

They use drones for all of the free skiing video. I was watching the x games from Aspen today and was wondering what the whirring sound was. Pretty cool but uneasy at the same time.

For x-games, a bunch of the whirring sound, especially on the longer slopestyle courses is actually a camera mounted on a wire cable that is set at essentially the heights that they expect the competitors to be at, and the camera is able to be pulled down the wire in sync with the athlete

hiroto

I guess it is happening all over the places. Here are some finds with "ski drone" keywords.

A guy flying a drone in a French ski resort.
Skiing while flying a drone - Tignes Val Claret, France - YouTube

Interesting. Racing training video with drone. Amazing footages.
Drone helicopter grabs race training footage | Ski Racing Magazine

Proposing drones for searching avalanche victim
Drones to the rescue of Avalanche Victims | sUAS News

French national team training
Team france filles - Ski alpin - 100% Drone - By Flyprod - Video

Skiing to the South Pole with a drone.
One guy, a pair of skis and one AR.Drone 2.0 heading for the South Pole | Parrot news

Park footages with drone
Drone + Skiing

Severance

"does not include a battery, battery charger, or transmitter (TX)." also no camera, uses a gopro. not an inexpensive hobby at all

hiroto

I've been about to pull the trigger on the quad above.I've also been thinking about getting some nice footage above ski runs for some time now.

You may also need to invest into stabilizer mount, which is optional:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/974188-REG/dji_zegoprogmbl_zenmuse_gopro_gimbal.html

Saw many reviews that without this, video will be way too shaky to be usable.

▶ DJI Zenmuse H3-2D Comparison - CarbonCore Hexacopter - YouTube (not the same copter but you get the idea)

gmcunni

what's the law regarding airspace over private property? can a mountain ban you from using a drone? (for safety reasons? for privacy?)

bobbutts

Get it while the getting's good, only a matter of time before someone does something really bad and ruins it for everybody.

Also, I'd think guys with no rc flight experience are very likely to crash or lose their machine fast. I'd recommend starting with a Hubsan X4 (I have one the FPV one and regular) or Blade 180 to get the feel for flying a quad first.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I've been wanting a DJI Phantom for a while. They are like $500 and you can attach your gopro to it. For a few hundred more you can add FPV goggles and fly the thing around with a first person view by intercepting the gopro camera and feeding it to a receiver

I just bought this on Amazon and it's amazingly fun.

http://www.amazon.com/Syma-Channel-2-4G-Quad-Copter/dp/B00906PKQ4

hiroto

Get it while the getting's good, only a matter of time before someone does something really bad and ruins it for everybody.

Also, I'd think guys with no rc flight experience are very likely to crash or lose their machine fast. I'd recommend starting with a Hubsan X4 (I have one the FPV one and regular) or Blade 180 to get the feel for flying a quad first.

This is pretty bad. It is matter of time that drone will cause serious injury, accident or even fatality.

Small Drone Crashes Into New York City Sidewalk - YouTube

Also, why those new copters are flying with open blades? There are copters with safety guards, like:

Xtreme 2.0 Gen II Quadcopter - RobotShop

Do they really want to see the result of this copter flying into people's face?

I'm rather disappointed that if I search for "safety" at dji.com, I didn't find any information on the safety of flying this coper.

bobbutts

http://www.modelaircraft.org/
deals with some of the safety and legal things, probably worth getting a membership

Also there's usually tons of info/knowledge at your local hobby shop. Kind of like how ski shops are to skiing. Blade 350 is a phantom alternative with similar features (and good support from horizon) you can find at most shops.

drjeff

what's the law regarding airspace over private property? can a mountain ban you from using a drone? (for safety reasons? for privacy?)

I've already seen them flying over features on Carinthia filming folks. And based on their park skills, I'm about 99% sure they were either affiliated with Mount Snow or Carinthia Pro Team Members or say some guys from The Meatheads filming ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app