• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Eclipse 2024

ceo

I wonder when Stowe, Smuggs, Sugarbush, Jay, Burke and Sugarloaf will start taking grossly-overpriced reservations for the weekend of April 8, 2024.

BenedictGomez

With the eclipse being on a Monday, I doubt they'll jack the rates.

Next time will be just like this time - meaning, everyone will forget about it and/or not even know there's an eclipse until about 2 weeks beforehand, at which time the media will whip people into a froth.

The timing couldn't be more perfect though with it occurring at about 3:30. End the ski day at 2:30 and commence drinking/partying.

VTKilarney

It's doubtful that Burke will be open for skiing on the second Monday in April.

drjeff

Wildcat via there social media feed last Monday already announced that even though they'll "only" be in something like 97% totality, that they'll be having an on snow eclipse party that day!

ceo

Well, a couple friends of mine were at an astronomy conference for this eclipse, that had booked into Jackson Hole six years ago. (Because astronomers.) Then a year or so ago, JH figured out they were sitting on a gold mine, or at least a big mountain right under the path of totality with an aerial tramway on it, and bought them out of their contract so they could rebook the space at a much higher rate. The conference was able to rebook into Sun Valley, also on the path, at a not quite as exorbitant rate (my friends stayed in Hailey, about 15 miles south, because the conference hotel was still kind of spendy).

machski

Well, a couple friends of mine were at an astronomy conference for this eclipse, that had booked into Jackson Hole six years ago. (Because astronomers.) Then a year or so ago, JH figured out they were sitting on a gold mine, or at least a big mountain right under the path of totality with an aerial tramway on it, and bought them out of their contract so they could rebook the space at a much higher rate. The conference was able to rebook into Sun Valley, also on the path, at a not quite as exorbitant rate (my friends stayed in Hailey, about 15 miles south, because the conference hotel was still kind of spendy).
Yup, and a week before JH airport announced it was sold out of parking spots for aircraft for the Eclipse. I saw Alaska Airlines had an Eclipse party flight that left SEA and flew out over the Pacific to be in the path of totality then back to SEA. There stands a good chance of resorts cleaning up that weekend. I would bet that year you will see Burke open for that weekend/Monday.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

VTKilarney

My biggest fear is that it will be cloudy. Early April isn't know for being the sunniest time in Northern New England.

Hawk

Given that time and date I would bet I would be sitting on the observation deck at the top of Lincoln Peak drinking a beer.

cdskier

Given that time and date I would bet I would be sitting on the observation deck at the top of Lincoln Peak drinking a beer.

I may not be in that exact spot...but my goal is to be up by Sugarbush somewhere that day.

abc

I have the choice of being up there, good skiing but clouds obscuring the eclipse. Or down in Taxes at my cousin's place, wild flowers blooming and clear weather to watch the eclipse.

benski

I predict this eclipse will be a turning point for spring skiing with all the publicity eclipse viewing got this time around.

drjeff

I predict this eclipse will be a turning point for spring skiing with all the publicity eclipse viewing got this time around.

I predict that Monday April 8th, 2024 will be the closing date for the season for many ski areas across the path of the eclipse....

Hawk

I predict that the weather will be perfect with a huge blizzard in the days before and bright sun and Pow the day of the eclipse. You see, for all the negativeness there needs to be a positive offset. Carry on.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
My biggest fear is that it will be cloudy. Early April isn't know for being the sunniest time in Northern New England.
Mine too. The other worry is that even with clear skies predicted for that day, the sudden temp drop during the eclipse causes clouds to form anyway. That is what happened during the annular eclipse back in the early '90s. However, the clouds that formed were mostly low level. Perhaps the mtn tops will be clearer in that case.
I'm still debating weather to:
1. Stay home and watch the eclipse from my yard (2 minutes 24 seconds of totality). Or somewhat near the house on the hill I live on.
2. Head north to a friend's house with a wide open view near Newport (3 minutes 25 seconds of totality).
3. Head to the top of Burke (2 min 17 sec totality)
4. Lug my camera gear to the top of a different Mtn (Pisgah, Bald, etc)

I really want to get a spot where I can get the "surrounded by sunset effect.