• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Egan's Woods

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Anybody ever check out those Glades at the Bush. :eek: I did last week when I was there thought I would make a run through them...Ha came up on them through reverse traverse and :eek: :eek: steep steep steep and tight tight tight no thanks.

Lostone

Seldom do them. Way too popular. Way too packed. If you're going to try them, do so right after significant powder.

By the end of the day they will be packed out. Same thing with most "named" woods. :roll:

Just my opinion.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Lostone said:
Seldom do them. Way too popular. Way too packed. If you're going to try them, do so right after significant powder.

By the end of the day they will be packed out. Same thing with most "named" woods. :roll:

Just my opinion.

I was there on a Sat and the place was desolate. I guess people only ski it after a big dump. I could see skiing it then..the way I saw it hard packed and glazed over no one was even attempting it.

tirolerpeter

Skiing Trees

Fresh (deep and steep)unpacked powder is the safest and most enjoyable way to ski trees. That said, I rarely find enough snow depth in the east to make tree skiing worth it. There are just too many downed logs, roots, rocks, and scrub growths, lurking just below the surface of our typically meager snow cover to allow low stress and safe tree cruising. I suspect that ego rather than actual enjoyment drives many eastern skiers to venture into the trees. I understand that we all can't find the time or money to venture west, but when you do, you will understand what great tree skiing is all about.

JimG.

Staff member
Re: Skiing Trees

tirolerpeter said:
I understand that we all can't find the time or money to venture west, but when you do, you will understand what great tree skiing is all about.

Learned about truly GREAT tree skiing at MRG this past week...no need to go out west.

JimG.

Staff member
Brettski said:
and nobody mentions the woods at Stowe.....

Most fun I've ever had....

Make sure you go in groups of 4

For sure...but JD will never admit it.

deadheadskier

Staff member

tirolerpeter said:
Fresh (deep and steep)unpacked powder is the safest and most enjoyable way to ski trees. That said, I rarely find enough snow depth in the east to make tree skiing worth it. There are just too many downed logs, roots, rocks, and scrub growths, lurking just below the surface of our typically meager snow cover to allow low stress and safe tree cruising. I suspect that ego rather than actual enjoyment drives many eastern skiers to venture into the trees. I understand that we all can't find the time or money to venture west, but when you do, you will understand what great tree skiing is all about.

Yes, you are absolutely right that it is my ego and not reality that nearly every winter the snowpack in the trees in February and March in northern Vermont is usually six feet or more deep. :roll:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Lostone said:

Just my opinion.

That's pretty much been my experience with any glades at Sugarbush...tracked out, thin cover, and nothing really to write home about. Though there are some nice secret stashes (Church, Slide Brook Ravine, etc).

BTW...had a guy at Burke on Saturday who was like, "I think that I might be able to find some secret stashes. The locals will tell you, right?" Wrong! Better be prepared to swear your life away...revealing a stash is a big deal. :wink:

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Truefully, here at the Bush, there is no secret stash named Church and Slide Brook Basin isn't exactly a secret...Trailboss was only kidding.

As he said the glades at the Bush are not worth wasting your time. Always thin cover...even when it looks like there is alot of snow it's an optical illusion. Take Trailbosse's advice and keep away....... :lol: :lol:

thetrailboss

Staff member
ski_resort_observer said:
Truefully, here at the Bush, there is no secret stash named Church and Slide Brook Basin isn't exactly a secret...Trailboss was only kidding.

As he said the glades at the Bush are not worth wasting your time. Always thin cover...even when it looks like there is alot of snow it's an optical illusion. Take Trailbosse's advice and keep away....... :lol: :lol:

Well, not exactly. :-? From my experience skiing at Jay, Burke, and Sugarbush, Burke has the best glades probably due to the least traffic. I mean they are a solid 1000 vertical feet (some of them). Hard to beat that.

Tin Woodsman

tirolerpeter said:

Yes. what he said. There is no good tree skiing in the East. None at all. Out west is where it's AT. It especially sucks in March when you've waited for the good snowpack and it begins to melt before your eyes. Oh well.

tirolerpeter

Tin Woodsman said:
tirolerpeter said:

Yes. what he said. There is no good tree skiing in the East. None at all. Out west is where it's AT. It especially sucks in March when you've waited for the good snowpack and it begins to melt before your eyes. Oh well.

Violated my own rules about going off the marked trails last week after a nice 12" powder "dump" at Hunter. I followed a local through a fence and had a couple of nice "steep and deep" (I thought) powder experiences. Third run, the rocks came to the surface! Only a small gouge on my 3 day old Volant Platinums, but I made my own point. Should have stayed on the trail!

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
i hardly ever venture into the woods in the east without rock skis on, yet that doesnt mean that it is not fun and enjoyable adventure... and there are plenty of places to find deep snow and well spaced trees...

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Brettski said:

Stowe definetly has some nice tree skiing. Only tried once, found an unmarked trails. The powder was unbelievable!

thetrailboss

Staff member
andyzee said:
Brettski said:

Stowe definetly has some nice tree skiing. Only tried once, found an unmarked trails. The powder was unbelievable!

I've heard and seen lots of good things about the terrain at Stowe...

skibum1321

Tree skiing in the east is awesome. Most mountains have some great trees. A little dig in the base won't do anything to your skis. Throw a little p-tex in there. Letting a few rocks keep you out of the woods is just ridiculous. It adds to the challenge. By your reasoning about rocks, you wouldn't ski natural snow trails. Have fun on your cruisers all winter grandpa.

awf170

skibum1321 said:
Tree skiing in the east is awesome. Most mountains have some great trees. A little dig in the base won't do anything to your skis. Throw a little p-tex in there. Letting a few rocks keep you out of the woods is just ridiculous. It adds to the challenge. By your reasoning about rocks, you wouldn't ski natural snow trails. Have fun on your cruisers all winter grandpa.

no the tree skiing in the east is horrible :wink: :wink: