• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Electric Cars/Trucks and winter weather testing with results. What do you think? Who has taken one in Freezing cold long distance to a Ski mountain?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
People still buy GMC???? Semi-kidding. I only know of a few people (car guys) that keep/maintain ones from the early 00s and 90s that were (apparently) beasts (same with the Chevy SUV's from that era).

I struggle with how a $60k GMC can be better than a Sequoia, maxed out Highlander, or a Pilot. Not like I'll have to make that choice anytime soon though! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I've got an Acadia Denali and love it. Been driving GMC's as my primary ride now for 20yrs.

Current car Quiver in the household is a 2016 Acadia (my sons car) a 2018 Audi Q7 Tdi Diesel (my daughters car) a 2020 Acadia Denali (when it went to the midsized version - my car) and a 2022 Volvo XC90 hybrid (my wife's car) My family jokingly refers to my Acadia Denali as "the clown car" since it's the smallest one in the driveway when all 4 vehicles are at our house! 🤣🤣

Wish I could send this post to 17yo me... I'd of been in dental school the day after graduating high school!

cdskier

People still buy GMC???? Semi-kidding. I only know of a few people (car guys) that keep/maintain ones from the early 00s and 90s that were (apparently) beasts (same with the Chevy SUV's from that era).

I struggle with how a $60k GMC can be better than a Sequoia, maxed out Highlander, or a Pilot. Not like I'll have to make that choice anytime soon though! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sequoia, Highlander, and Pilot aren't pick-up trucks... so none of those would be my choices. My truck was a bit under $40K 5 years ago when I bought it. (GMC Canyon). Not quite sure what I'll do when it is time to replace it. I'm not particularly a fan of some of the corners GM cut in the mid-size pick-up line compared to my old truck (a Chevy Avalanche). Then again, maybe even the full-size pick-ups today in GM's lineup took some of those same short-cuts. My old truck was built like a tank (had 230K miles when I got rid of it...and it is still on the road today as my mechanic actually bought it when I was getting my new truck). I've never cared much for Toyota's pickups. I've driven a friend's Tundra in the past and didn't like it.

FWIW, my dad has a Pilot and I absolutely can't stand it. I don't like the handling or ride at all. Granted maybe the newer ones are better (his is maybe ~6ish years old?)

BodeMiller1

Marrying well also doesn't hurt the car buying situation in my family either 😉🤣
I'm almost 60 and all of my friends who said the marry well thing lost half their stuff or put up with far too much...

One time my friend wanted to go skiing and his wife was on the fence. (n)
How can this be I asked myself. There was no answer only the sound of high powered engines being drowned out by beers being cracked.

Pro tip of the day. Don't drink and drive, butt if you do please do so while accelerating, when you feel the G's puling you back in your seat that is the time to tip the federalies.

Only YOU can prevent forest fires.

Attachments

• 1977-Ford-Mustang.jpg
    1977-Ford-Mustang.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 81sjwVr475L.jpg
    81sjwVr475L.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 3

2Planker

Wish I could send this post to 17yo me... I'd of been in dental school the day after graduating high school!
You mean, the day after graduating from college...
Quiver - '20 S4, '21 Q8, '07 Z4 M Coupe, '65 Mustang

Last edited:

darent

don't understand your struggle, GMC- God made Car, got to be better than a TOY- ota:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

1dog

Guilty - 2007 GMC Yukon XL- cause none have that much room except maybe Excursion - but I've never owned a Ford. Has 213K miles, hoping to get to 300K before I retire it. Traded in an Acura MDX and now will never go back at least until kids and dogs are not part of the story . .

Nothing stops it going over Rox Gap mud, snow or ice - 19 MPG is best I can do - 5.3 L- salted rust starting because of the dunes of Nauset in Chatham/Orleans - but relatively cheap to maintain- Insurance under $700 ( no collision). No, would never pay the $60K for a used w 50K miles on them now. . . . will wait till the price crashes once $5 a gallon is back. Wife's KIA plug in hybrid AWD is ok, but its not as high of course and not as beefy. 40-50 MPG doesn't suck tho . . .

5-6 guys out west in a Yukon/Suburban - skis inside too - what else does that?

kbroderick

5-6 guys out west in a Yukon/Suburban - skis inside too - what else does that?
Transit or Sprinter. And both actually have enough room for five or six adults plus skis, which is questionable in the Suburban if you've got any longish (190+) skis. It's tough to keep the third row full of humans in an SUV and also fit skis inside once they get too long to go sideways or diagonal.

Of course, I'm a race coach, so I'm used to having four to six pairs of skis per person along.

Smellytele

Transit or Sprinter. And both actually have enough room for five or six adults plus skis, which is questionable in the Suburban if you've got any longish (190+) skis. It's tough to keep the third row full of humans in an SUV and also fit skis inside once they get too long to go sideways or diagonal.

Of course, I'm a race coach, so I'm used to having four to six pairs of skis per person along.
are Transits and/or Sprinters all-wheel/4wd?

kbroderick

are Transits and/or Sprinters all-wheel/4wd?
They're available as such, but with good snow tires, you can get most places* with a RWD model and weight in the back.

*: out of the downhill side of the Titcomb, Maine, parking lot during a snowstorm being a notable exclusion.

deadheadskier

Staff member

I'd take a Yukon over a Sequoia, Highlander or Pilot.

Toyota is very slow to update and upgrade their fleets. The Pilot is basically a minivan and not comparable. The Sequoia was just updated for the first time in like 12 years recently and they really didn't do that great a job with it IMO. No independent rear suspension and the cargo space stinks. Those were sacrificed to fit the hybrid battery I believe.

Not saying Toyota isn't a great company. I've been driving Siennas for work for five years. They still probably make the longest lasting and most reliable motors.

kbroderick

Bolton would be an issue
FWIW, ski academies have driven RWD vans by default for years, and they work more often than not. I don't know how much of the current fleet out there is RWD vs A/4WD, but I'm guessing most is still RWD. Yes, races get cancelled when there's too much snow, but usually that happens after you get there.

I'd be willing to bet I could make it to and from BV in a RWD Transit without issue, given good tires and appropriate weight in the van. I did that drive 5+ days a week for a couple of years in a 91 VW Golf, and after I moved to the hill I drove the airport shuttle a fair number of times (E-450, I think, maybe E-550), which was RWD and a dually. That's a horrible combo for snow traction, but—again, with good tires—I don't recall having any trouble, aside from the time I drove back up the hill in a snowstorm and then tried doing donuts. Let's just say that the parking lot gets a lot smaller when you've got that much momentum going sideways.

I could see getting stuck in the parking lot, but that's relatively easy to work around.

icecoast1

Road "subsidies" which are paid for by gas/diesel tax. Sounds like the rich EV owners are not paying their far share.
They will soon enough when those taxes and other costs associated with upgrading the power grid to handle the extra capacity are passed on to the consumers