• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

EPIC 2021-2022 Announcement =Pass cost cut 20%

dblskifanatic

It is
Same here. I may give up the Indy this year also. I will just have too many options with both Epic and Ikon. Not a bad problem to have.
It is a crazy combo for sure! Things dreams are made with! Even with Ikon Base and Epic Local about $1300 that is mind blowing in terms of the resorts you have access to!

kendo

happy to see Epic access to Telluride is still included. Will get Epic again for Stowe weekdays + Telluride. Also considering Icon.

Tonyr

It is

It is a crazy combo for sure! Things dreams are made with! Even with Ikon Base and Epic Local about $1300 that is mind blowing in terms of the resorts you have access to!

I did the Epic and Mountain Collective which comes out to $1250 or so. I need to ski during the holiday restrictions periods.

boston_e

Vail resorts do not plan on restricting skier visits - no reservation system, So get ready! Question how many people will now go Epic instead of Ikon or better yet how many will go with both? For about $1300 (Ikon bas + Epic Local and even less if Veteran) The list of resorts you can ski is absolutely nuts!

Killington, Pico, Stratton, Loon, Sunday River, Sugarloaf, Sugar Bush, Windham - Ikon
Stowe, Mount Snow, Okemo, Sunapee, Crotched, Wildcat, Attitash, Hunter - Epic

Head out West is it is dreamy!
On the flip side, why do both when either one alone pretty much gives most people more days than they can ski in a season already?

cdskier

On the flip side, why do both when either one alone pretty much gives most people more days than they can ski in a season already?
Very valid point...if either was the cost of both combined, people would be flipping out about how "expensive" the passes are. But yet some are willing to pay for both. All that gives you is more variety, but not more potential days. A better strategy if you want variety is to just alternate each pass every year if variety is that important to you. Either one alone should give you more than enough variety for a single season.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

If I were to buy a 2nd pass to supplement Epic Local - it would be Indy - as the main point would be to have access to less crowded places on peak days. And to not spend too much to get that option.

Epic NE and Indy could be a particularly good fit - hit the less crowded places the day Epic's most popular NE resorts would be blacked out (and super crowded)

Mum skier

As a family of 4 it’s hard to walk away from those cheap prices, and it’s not as if we ski 50 days per season so we are always asking is it better value to get a pass or just buy day tickets for the relatively small number of days we ski. So the low price does make a difference when there are 4 of you. But it would be so nice to get away from crowds....... We are limited to weekends and holidays with kids. I can’t see any way round crowds for us daytripping from Boston weekends only. And I am worried even with better chair capacity that’s going to be a lot of people buying passes and skiing on weekend. Including us.

PAabe

As a family of 4 it’s hard to walk away from those cheap prices, and it’s not as if we ski 50 days per season so we are always asking is it better value to get a pass or just buy day tickets for the relatively small number of days we ski. So the low price does make a difference when there are 4 of you. But it would be so nice to get away from crowds....... We are limited to weekends and holidays with kids. I can’t see any way round crowds for us daytripping from Boston weekends only. And I am worried even with better chair capacity that’s going to be a lot of people buying passes and skiing on weekend. Including us.
I am no Bostonian so I don't know what the drives are like but there are a heck of a lot of places on Indy Pass in that area which would likely be less crowded then Epic/Ikon. If I lived in Boston I would definitely be getting myself one or more Indy Passes.

Last edited:

boston_e

I’ll second the suggestion for the Indy pass if you don’t need unlimited days and are looking to avoid crowds. Not sure what your day trip distance tolerance is but there are a handful of nice options in New England on the Indy pass.... some would require a hotel stay for sure though.

jimmywilson69

IMO the fact that many people are considering buying both is case in point that both products are too inexpensive.

as someone who's considering both I am 100% in agreement with you. I am stuck with "epic" in PA, but I'd like options up north and out west. I figure ride the train while I can I guess...

Killingtime

as someone who's considering both I am 100% in agreement with you. I am stuck with "epic" in PA, but I'd like options up north and out west. I figure ride the train while I can I guess...
Stop ruining it haha!! I'm finding there are few things in life that true bargains now days. My gut feeling is that these low prices will end at some point. Before I sold my home in VT I used to drop a $1,000 for a Beast pass which was good only for K and Pico. For $1,300 I can really explore. This past year I kept it mostly in NY because of covid. I want next year to be the best ski experience in my life. If Vail and Alterra can make an acceptable profit at the current price point, I'm not going to complain. Just stay away from certain resorts on the weekends because they will be packed.

dblskifanatic

So buying both might be extreme for some, but I know there are many that will see this as an opportunity. $1300 is not cheap for sure, but for the dollars, the list of ski areas you are getting is pretty cool! That price point for the number of ski areas you can get in the Northeast will never happen again. It will go up from here.

Still, whether it is Epic and Indy or Ikon and Indy or swap out Indy with MC - once again you have so many options! Even with Epic there are several price points that make the option even cheaper like the Northeast Value Pass.

When we had 4 kids at home buying passes was not affordable. Since then career moves/advancements and all or boys out of the house passes are much more affordable because we are buying for 2 not 6.

Dickc

I took a look at the Epic prices, and found if I went with the northeast mid week pass at age 65+, it would be $271.00. Add in an Indy pass at $199.00 or even $249.00 if it goes up this season, and I would be able to get in plenty of skiing being retired. $470.00 to $520.00 for a whole season! Gas would cost me more for the winter than the actual skiing!

Zermatt

Full Ikon Pass renewal for a family of four (2 adults and 2 kids age 5-12) is over $100 cheaper than equivalent Epic Pass even with 20% discount.

Those Epic kids passes are the killer.

boston_e

Full Ikon Pass renewal for a family of four (2 adults and 2 kids age 5-12) is over $100 cheaper than equivalent Epic Pass even with 20% discount.

Those Epic kids passes are the killer.

Not only that, but (in my opinion at least) the New England IKON options are superior to those of Epic. Unless someone is tied to an Epic mountain I can't see picking Attitash, Wildcat, Mount Snow, Stowe, Okemo and Crotched over Killy/Pico, Bush, Loaf and River.

KustyTheKlown

the only one worth a shit to me is stowe. wildcat is cool but too far for any regular visits for me. i mourn stowe. but overall i think i'm on the right team and am happy with my pass products. i am actually very happy okemo, mount snow, and hunter, are the targets of this shit-showery. i have zero interest in skiing any of them ever.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not only that, but (in my opinion at least) the New England IKON options are superior to those of Epic. Unless someone is tied to an Epic mountain I can't see picking Attitash, Wildcat, Mount Snow, Stowe, Okemo and Crotched over Killy/Pico, Bush, Loaf and River.

Depends what your use model and location is. If you primarily day trip and live in the metro Boston or Southern NH area, Epic is the better choice. Ikon doesn't really offer those folks a good day trip option. That's why I bought it this season.

As a whole I agree though. The Ikon properties are superior.

dblskifanatic

Depends what your use model and location is. If you primarily day trip and live in the metro Boston or Southern NH area, Epic is the better choice. Ikon doesn't really offer those folks a good day trip option. That's why I bought it this season.

As a whole I agree though. The Ikon properties are superior.

Also why we went with Epic, Plus we plan on several trips out west and will ski Vail Resorts plus A Basin.

abc

It's not necessarily "tied to" an Epic mountain. It's all about which mountain you prefer.

If your favorite is one of the above, it really doesn't matter what IKON options are 'superior' or not. Which IKON mountain is "superior" than Stowe? Bush?

And what if your favorite mountain is Okemo? Does it matter Killington/Pico is "superior"?