• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Europe 2022 ?

catskillman

Any idea what is in store if we wanted to ski in Europe in 2022?

Vaccine required, Negative test, will the cost be more or less than usual,quarantine when we return to the US, quarantine in Europe?
I really want to explore Europe so more. The experience is so different and there are just so many great resorts.
There are always at least 2 European trips with Hunter skiers a year. One is run by the Chef's Ski Club and another by a woman who is hard to track down and her trips fill up almost immediately and are a great deal. She opens it up to her regulars first and if anything is left over then goes to her list of others that have expressed interest or were wail listed on previous trips. Both of the trips were cancelled this year.

Anyone have any plans to go, recommendations, or a trip going I can jump on?

abc

Why do you want the aggravation of 2022 and deal with all the uncertainties? It's supposed to be a vacation... I'm not booking anything until the pandemic is truly "under control"

I used to go every 2-3 years. But I don't go with any US based tours. I either do it myself, or there's a group in UK that I go with...

The biggest difference is lodging, and the cost that associate with it. European lodging is very different than US lodging. Space is at a premium. So to get a room typical size of a Best Wetern or Holiday Inn, you'll have to go to the premium chains. That's what typical US originated group trips typically use, with the associated cost of such.

So if you want a luxury type of ski vacation, my experience won't work for you.

I do the standard European lodging, which is a lot smaller but spotlessly clean and "charming", often at about 50-70% of the cost of US based group trips.

Last edited:

Smellytele

Not a big fans of these group trips. I am grumpy and don't like having to deal with other travelers. Have to wait for everyone to get on the bus, don't want to go to dinner with everyone or wait with the group to get my tickets. I like making my own schedule.

jimk

I used this company for a good deal on a fun ski trip to Austria about 15 years ago. Amazingly, they still seem to be in business: https://ski-europe.com/deals/

Hopefully, things return to normal by Feb-Mar 2022 as far as travel restrictions go??

I picked one of their cheapest pre-arranged trips, but they also allow you to customize things. IIRC, on my trip I paid my own airfare and paid the company separately for the portion covering hotel and ski tickets.
I'd love to go back, but have family in Utah now that strongly draw me in that direction. I really enjoyed the Alpine food, ambiance, scenery, and great skiing. There is a ski area over there with 3000' vertical around every bend of the road. I was able to do a bunch of fun cultural stuff in the city of Salzburg too.
1091852842_salzburg2.jpg
1091852447_castle.jpg

What kind of skiing are you looking for? Max gnar, max snow, max partying, max bargain or luxury, max convenience, decent skiing with max culture, or something else?

Last edited:

catskillman

The one group I would like to get into has been staying at a Club Med for a couple of trips.
All inclusive trip with 3 meals a day, drinks, lift tickets and guides. They also tend to stay a day or 2 at the end somewhere to see more of Europe other than the ski resort.

I have been to Europe several times and would like to go somewhere I have not been before usually.
I like the group thing as there is always someone to ski with etc... but mainly I just like being able to write a check and let someone take care of everything.

VTKilarney

I have a feeling that prices will be very high due to pent up demand - and the need for resorts to recoup losses.

jimk

I want all the funky stuff to go away as much as anyone,, but it seems increasingly likely that the rollout of the vaccine and/or the acceptance of the vaccine is going to be a lot slower than hoped, not only in US but around the world. It's possible that a lot of the same restrictions in play this season will also be around next and that could impact the ability for Americans to travel to Europe in winter of 2022.

crank

Our club's trip to the Dolomites las March got cancelled. We got airfare refunded and have a credit at the hotel. Can;t use it this season either. Hopefully 2022. Anyway, most European trips at hotels include breakfast and dinner. Some areas are very affordable some are pricey. I led a trip to Val d'Isere March 2019. It cost 2,600 per person and that is a good price for there. The Italian trip was around $1,600 per person.

There are plenty of ski clubs you can join and go on trips with in NY. Look at the Metro Ski Council's site. My club is the Mogul Meisters out of Westchester County. We will go somewhere in Europe next season pandemic permitting.

Hawk

I have always done my European trips on my own. Cham, Zermatt and At. Anton. I do the research ask around and book my own. There are so many cool apartments and lodging opportunities you miss when you book with an agency. I also like to get there and have my own itinerary. Cheap is not always what it is cracked up to be. As for the pandemic, I would wait to see the lay of the land this summer and book no later than September. Things should be fairly clear by then.

Next year is probably Les Trois Vallées (Courchevel), Val d'Isere or maybe stay in Interlaken, Switzerland and ski Grindelwald, Wengen, and the Jungfrau. We have not made our mind up but we are not afraid.

kingslug

The only thing I found scarier than the avalanche terrain..was the insane lift lines..not lines..more like a stampede...
St Anton was pegged as a major center for covid early on.

jimk

It's looking like French ski resorts will stay closed the entire 20-21 season due to pandemic restrictions. That's a tough situation to say the least.
Meanwhile, nearby Swiss resorts are operating on a different set of rules and are not only open, but booming. There is envy among ski town businesses, some are shuttered and some just across the border are swamped with customers. Lots of French license plates seen at Swiss resorts. The situation makes similar factors in New England seem benign in comparison.

abc

I want all the funky stuff to go away as much as anyone,, but it seems increasingly likely that the rollout of the vaccine and/or the acceptance of the vaccine is going to be a lot slower than hoped, not only in US but around the world. It's possible that a lot of the same restrictions in play this season will also be around next and that could impact the ability for Americans to travel to Europe in winter of 2022.
I don't think we'll be seeing any lock down or closures like this winter. But that's not to say there won't be a whole lot of other uncertainties. Flights, hotels, transports. After this year's chaotic season, next season will have a lot of uncertainty for sure. Are your favorite lodging still in operation? Is your tour op still solvent? Will the airline fly to our destination airport?

The OP's wish was:
mainly I just like being able to write a check and let someone take care of everything.
Just because someone else is handling the detail doesn't stop chaos from impacting you.

For crossing the pond, the biggest uncertainty will be the flight. At the moment, there're only about 10% of the normal number of flights. When do clubs need to commit to flights? Will they have much choice (and decent price) for flights? Once committed, you'd better be the kind who believe everything will work itself out. Otherwise, you're in for a lot of worry. Even if things do work out in the end, will you enjoy the trip as much as you normally do?

Last edited:

crank

We just got word that our cancelled March 2020 trip to Dolomites has been rescheduled for March 2022. Hotel is still paid for and airfare is unknown. We should have flight info in April. I think they run about 11 months out and the tour operators book blocks of seats.

catskillman

I have been asking around - the one trip orgganizer has told her regulars that the airfare will not be available until late Feb. A lot of if's though. Will determine if the trip is a go in March , subject to a great cancellation clause.

catskillman

so - any new thoughts about 2022 Europe - what countries and areas may better consider airport entry. Geneva to most of France

Hawk

It's really hard to say at this point. We will have a better idea come the fall. We were supposed to go back to Europe this year for our 25 wedding anniversary and do something really special. Maybe 2 or 3 weeks. That has obviously changed. Geneva is the gateway to most of the French resorts yes. But it is hard to say what the procedures will be. There is a border crossing involved so that complicates it. Maybe flying into Paris and taking the train might be easier. Or just ski Switzerland?

PAabe

Just my 2 cents here but I would expect Switzerland or Austria, or even places like Carpathians and Scandinavia (idk if the skiing is any good there, apparently it exists, I have never skied in Europe) to loosen restrictions more quickly than France/Italy/Germany