• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Europe 2022 ?

catskillman

Just my 2 cents here but I would expect Switzerland or Austria, or even places like Carpathians and Scandinavia (idk if the skiing is any good there, apparently it exists, I have never skied in Europe) to loosen restrictions more quickly than France/Italy/Germany
Austria you mainly fly into Munich, which gives you the 2 country issue, just like Switzerland / France Situation

PAabe

Austria you mainly fly into Munich, which gives you the 2 country issue, just like Switzerland / France Situation

Could you fly direct to Vienna or Zurich and then take the train? Or if you fly a connecting flight like to Vienna or Zuruich I wonder if it is possible to avoid customs in Germany/France - or is the covid control not done at customs? Good chance of being a logistical nightmare in any case I guess.

catskillman

Could you fly direct to Vienna or Zurich and then take the train? Or if you fly a connecting flight like to Vienna or Zuruich I wonder if it is possible to avoid customs in Germany/France - or is the covid control not done at customs? Good chance of being a logistical nightmare in any case I guess.
you can get a train - not sure what happens at the border is questionable.

I did take the train 1 yr to Zermatt. Major hassell especially with equipment. Then when you get to Zermatt it is car free and you have to lug your equpiment thru town or hire a golf cart to take you. Expensive and only enough space for 1 person with equipment. I do not recall the cost but it was insane about 10 years ago.

Hawk

We did Zermatt last year. Flew into Geneva and took the train. Funny our perspective was that it was one of the most memorable trips we have done. Train was easy and the views around the lake and wine country were awesome. Zermatt now has electric taxis that can take up to 6 people and gear. Also contrary to popular belief, it was not that expensive. Mind you we never go looking for the bargain basement for anything but we spent the same when we went to Cham and St Anton.

crank

I want to go back Cham when the snow is good. We went about 5 years ago and the conditions pretty much sucked but we had a great time. we rented a studio apartment on the edge of the pedestrian village area. Walking out for pan du chocolate in the mornings or down to the store for a baguette and charcuterie and cheese... loved it.

The only back country we skied was Le Valley Blanche in icy and slushy conditions. When we return we will do more guided off piste.

kingslug

Chaminox..the great ski wrecker. Found much better conditions in Zermatt and St Anton..And a friendlier vibe. Well..as much as could be expected..The vibe towards us has changed.

catskillman

so - I found out the 2 big Europe trips going with Hunter folks are sold out. There is 1 going to St Moritz and one to the 3 Valleys. Both Club Med resorts and the one to 3 Valleys includes 2 nights in Geneva. I am going to call the woman to get on the wait list for the 3 valleys as it is a much better deal cost wise, and it is the largest ski resort in the world after all and she has a great rep for the trips she runs.

Has anyone been to 3 Valley's?

VTKilarney

I took the plunge and booked a trip to Japan for late February. Airfare was insanely good. $650 per person non-stop from Boston on JAL. JAL has only eight seats across on their 787 - whereas every other airline has 9 seats.

Whether or not I will be allowed to enter Japan will be down to the wire. Japan will not be fully vaccinated until November.

abc

I'm not getting into a plane to another country any time soon. Too risky the rules may change on the ground while the plane is in the sky!

Also, I've heard too many horror stories of people getting stranded when their return flight got cancelled due to Covid rule change. Sure, they all got home sooner or later. But who needs all that aggravation for a vacation!

jimk

I'm not getting into a plane to another country any time soon. Too risky the rules may change on the ground while the plane is in the sky!

Also, I've heard too many horror stories of people getting stranded when their return flight got cancelled due to Covid rule change. Sure, they all got home sooner or later. But who needs all that aggravation for a vacation!
I have a good friend with a daughter that works in the UK. He and recently retired wife were planning to visit her for a month this summer. They just cancelled for some of the reasons above and: 7/19/21, The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the U.S. State Department each raised the alert levels for the UK to their highest levels. The CDC raised the travel advisory for the U.K. to a level 4, meaning "avoid travel,'' citing "very high'' levels of coronavirus cases.

abc

Even before this pandemic business, I've had my international flights changed or cancelled in several occasions, especially for flights booked months in advance.

Unlike domestic flights, international flights have their own particular quirks. Airlines are quick to change their timetable due to something happened in another part of the world! :(

Some years back, I had a flight booked to go from Hong Kong to Delhi, with a connection at Dhaka (Bangladesh). A week before the scheduled flight, the connecting flight changed to a new schedule! The airline I booked my journey on, British Airway, called me to alert me the flight was no longer feasible due to the change of the connecting flight. I managed to changed to an Air India direct flight. All was good. A week later in Delhi, I met a couple who were on the same route but booked their connecting flight separately on their own. So they didn't get the alert and was stranded at Dhaka for a couple days...

It's one thing to miss a connection in Denver or Dallas, where there're 10+ other flights to change to. It's something else to get stranded in a third country, where there may only be 2 connecting flights a day and they're fully booked for the rest of the week!

Add the uncertainty of pandemic, it's a gamble I'd rather not make if I can help it.

(I was at Whistler during the onset of the pandemic. It was stressful worrying about whether I'll be able to get back as planned. Never want to be in the same situation again!)

2Planker

A SR patroller owned Happy Time Tours. Trips were 7/8 days plus 2-3 in Paris, Rome or somewhere interesting.
Crowd was probably 2/3 SR skiers but we had folks from PA, CT and NJ on our Chamonix trip.

Airfare, lodging w/ Brkft & Dinner, transorptation, and a 7 day pass...
Luftansa & Swiss Air were both no extra charge for anything

2 europe ski trips plus a BC one each year

The Co was passed on to another tour co, but I don't know who

As for getting stranded....
After working 21 days straight, our team spent 4 extra days in Zimbabwe when BA canc our flight to London.
Only 2 flights/week.

We paid a local to take us 250 miles in the back to beat up 30yo Toyota HiLux, to Victoria Falls.
Went from straw huts w/ no electricity, bathrooms, or running water to MEGA Luxury at the Victoria Falls Hotel.

Last edited:

catskillman

Since I am on the wait list I may not even been going. I do not want to do it on my own for a lot of reasons. I do not need to put anything down and the cancellation policy seems fair and standard.

I doubt I will be able to go as she has a steady group of regulars for years I understand. At least I found her and now will get an email after she offers the trip to the regulars if there is space.

jimmywilson69

I'm more of a May '77 kind of guy but that raw power of Europe '72 was unmatched. That's when they really found their mojo that would lead to May '77

Smellytele

Absolutely !!
Also love July 2 1988 @ Maine's Oxford Hills Speedway.
Saw them both there and at Sullivan Stadium 2 day later on 4th of July.
Oxford Speedway was way better !
https://archive.org/details/gd88-07-02.sbd-matrix.dan.21211.sbeok.shnf
I saw them at Oxford as well. Think that was the day the guy parachuted in.
Went to another show at Oxford to see Van Hagar, Scorpions and Metallica. That one was a shit show. Got stuck in traffic on 95. we got out of the car and we were playing frisbee in the middle of the highway. Some guys were giving out drafts from a keg out of the side of their van. Girl friend got hammered and passed out. she had white pants on and fell face first into a mud puddle when we arrived at the speedway. good times.