• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Extreme Hikers Rescued at Mansfield

abc

So much for Extremist Hiker! ;)

That said, unless they blatantly disregard many safety consideration (which we don't know yet) I'm not too keen on charging every rescue.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I don't believe that they have gone that far in Vermont. And I don't think that it would apply in this case...at least from what I have read so far. My understanding was that they were with a group and then got separated. This was not a case of two unprepared newbies doing something stupid.

tumbler

I beleive you now get charged in VT for a rescue that is out of bounds from the ski area. I believe there was a bill presented to the legislature.

VTKilarney

Here is Vermont's out-of-bounds law:
http://legislature.vermont.gov/statutes/section/12/027/01038

A person who uses the facilities of a ski area to access terrain outside the open and designated ski trails, shall be liable in a civil action brought by any person, including a ski area, rescue organization, municipality or the state, to recover expenses incurred to provide rescue, medical or other services to such person for circumstances or injuries which resulted from such use. The entity seeking to recover may also recover reasonable attorney fees and court costs. No ski area, its owners, agents or employees, individual or entity, municipal or otherwise, shall be held liable for any acts or omissions taken in the course of such rescue operations unless such act or omission constitutes gross negligence.

wtcobb

Here is Vermont's out-of-bounds law:
http://legislature.vermont.gov/statutes/section/12/027/01038

A person who uses the facilities of a ski area to access terrain outside the open and designated ski trails, shall be liable in a civil action brought by any person, including a ski area, rescue organization, municipality or the state, to recover expenses incurred to provide rescue, medical or other services to such person for circumstances or injuries which resulted from such use. The entity seeking to recover may also recover reasonable attorney fees and court costs. No ski area, its owners, agents or employees, individual or entity, municipal or otherwise, shall be held liable for any acts or omissions taken in the course of such rescue operations unless such act or omission constitutes gross negligence.

This applies for skiing out of bounds - does it apply for hiking as well?

The language here serves two purposes: allows an organization to bring the rescued person/s to count to recoup fees (note it's not an automatic payment, but the person will be held liable in the event of civil action), and prevents a ski area from liability/damages/etc.

mbedle

I looked online and couldn't fine any regulations that allow the state to recoup costs to rescue someone lost and not associated with ski area access.

hiker1

I know about this event and the incident and this was a well executed rescue. It was a cold and wet day. It's my understanding that SAR was part of the safety plan of an organized event that was approved by the state. Accidents happen. This was an unfortunate situation and it's great that Search and Rescue was able to help.

This person had trekked 40 miles on the Long Trail carrying a relatively heavy pack. This person was fatigued and had some difficulties. This was not a lost hiker as the report stated. This was a hiker who was in need of help. I don't think any of you would want the person left out there alone to fend for themselves. Mansfield had 100 mph winds that morning. The storms were real and the injury was real

Note: I don't think the hiker is planning to climb Everest.

mbedle

Hiker1 - I didn't post this with any kind of malice against the hiker(s) that were rescued. It was more to open the dialogue of why using a lift at a ski resort would be any different than not using one and how the state views that differently. Glad it all worked out for everyone.