• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Family of six looking to replace Max pass options for next season - ideas welcomed!

heiusa

Another option may be to join a ski club. I belong to a long island based club and our club has a house at the base of Pico. As a member I have use of the house, it costs me $25 per night and $13 per night for my kids. We also get discount tickets from the club. Plus we have made many friends through the club.

nycskier

Nice part about going with Peaks is 6 year old kids get to ski for free weekdays and pay $10 on weekends. You can also get them a Peaks Pass for $60. Also if you buy next years season pass before their 7th birthday they get to ski that year for on the cheap pass.

MommaBear

Price of seasonal rental vs finding rooms weekly varies on which is cheaper. In your case, sure it can be cheaper to rent a cheap place as needed. If you need a slightly more family friendly place, a seasonal rental may be better if you find the right one. And you have the added benefit of not needing to worry about constantly booking a room somewhere. It also depends how often you go.

Once your party exceeds 4, it becomes more difficult to find reasonably priced lodging at hotels and such. VT limits you to 4 people in a room. We were able to pack the 5 of us in to a standard hotel room for just so long, but the cost of renting 2 rooms was too costly. Best Western Inn & Suites in Mendon with their "one bedroom suite" became our go to for a couple of years (separate bedroom with 2 queens, living room with queen sleeper sofa, kitchen and dining area, 2 tvs, room to spread out). We finally purchased a place in Dover. Certainly not cheaper than doing a seasonal rental, but I do enjoy the 4 season use.

cdskier

We finally purchased a place in Dover. Certainly not cheaper than doing a seasonal rental, but I do enjoy the 4 season use.

The 4 season use factor in owning is something far too many overlook. I love going up to VT other times of year as well, although I'm certainly not up there anywhere near as much as I am in the winter.

elks

There have been discussions on here somewhere, I can't remember which thread. Use a local agent in the area of the mountain you want to be near. There was debate about AirBnB, Craigslist and doing it yourself. I prefer the agent as they will generally know who the owner is, pros and cons of location and a knowledge of price. Yes, you will pay a small commission but they do most of the work for you. Where we are seasonal rentals are usually Nov 1-April 30. With kids in racing program you will start to go to different mountains on Sundays for races, so it will help to have a home base in the mountains to shorten drive times. You will need two cars quite a bit especially if kids different ages, could be at two different mountains for races. I'm sure Dr Jeff can expound on that.

Thanks! We did AirBnB this past weekend, which was a pretty good deal for 4 ($180 for 2-nights all inclusive w/ breakfast and under 30 minutes from mountain). Obviously, the concern is availability on a week to week basis. I'll search the forums.

BenedictGomez

Thanks! We did AirBnB this past weekend, which was a pretty good deal for 4 ($180 for 2-nights all inclusive w/ breakfast and under 30 minutes from mountain).

Enjoy the low prices while you can, the Vermont politicians are trying to kill AirBnB.

Vermont was annoyed because originally they were not getting hotel tax payments when vacationers stayed in people's houses, so now if you want to be on AirBnB, Vermont will force you to pay an annual "registration fee" to the state, which will then also ensure they get to collect additional vacation tax revenue from people's overnight stays in private homes. They reached that "solution" only once they realized killing it wasn't feasible, but the net result it AirBnB prices in Vermont will become more expensive.

http://digital.vpr.net/post/airbnb-...oposed-short-term-rental-legislation#stream/0

Last edited:

boston_e

Enjoy the low prices while you can, the Vermont politicians are trying to kill AirBnB.

Vermont was annoyed because originally they were not getting hotel tax payments when vacationers stayed in people's houses, so now if you want to be on AirBnB, Vermont will force you to pay an annual "registration fee" to the state, which will then also ensure they get to collect additional vacation tax revenue from people's overnight stays in private homes. They reached that "solution" only once they realized killing it wasn't feasible, but the net result it AirBnB prices in Vermont will become more expensive.

http://digital.vpr.net/post/airbnb-...oposed-short-term-rental-legislation#stream/0

Vermont has always had a short term rental tax, which an owner is supposed to collect and pay to the state for any property rented out 10 days or more though the year. (We had to do this when we used to rent our place over VRBO or Home Away). Sounds like this is tweaking it to make sure people don't cheat the system.

MommaBear

Thanks! We did AirBnB this past weekend, which was a pretty good deal for 4 ($180 for 2-nights all inclusive w/ breakfast and under 30 minutes from mountain). Obviously, the concern is availability on a week to week basis. I'll search the forums.

Try reaching out to an Airbnb place you like and see if they will do multiple weekends or dates. We did that for someone one year - he committed to 4 specific weekends and we discounted the rate.

Vermont has always had a short term rental tax, which an owner is supposed to collect and pay to the state for any property rented out 10 days or more though the year. (We had to do this when we used to rent our place over VRBO or Home Away). Sounds like this is tweaking it to make sure people don't cheat the system.

Airbnb actually went a step further and added the tax to the platform for us. They collect and remit it on our behalf. Which I am grateful for because although the State of VT wanted us to pay to play, they did not make any effort to make it easy to register and remit payments. I at least had made the effort to try to do it right before throwing my hands up and walked away from the obligation. Thankfully, Airbnb changed their policy right around the same time.

boston_e

Airbnb actually went a step further and added the tax to the platform for us. They collect and remit it on our behalf. Which I am grateful for because although the State of VT wanted us to pay to play, they did not make any effort to make it easy to register and remit payments. I at least had made the effort to try to do it right before throwing my hands up and walked away from the obligation. Thankfully, Airbnb changed their policy right around the same time.

That is great. We don't rent our place anymore, but I remember it always being a pain and I agree they did not make it user friendly to remit payments.

BenedictGomez

That's exactly what it is, because how many people are really going to voluntarily pay Hotel/Motel tax to the state for renting a room in their house? Probably 1 in 5 people, and I'm probably being charitable in that guess.

Try reaching out to an Airbnb place you like and see if they will do multiple weekends or dates. We did that for someone one year - he committed to 4 specific weekends and we discounted the rate.

Alternatively, after the first time you stay at said Airbnb place you like, work out an "off Airbnb" deal with them to cut out both the middle-man fees and the silly Vermont tax grabs, saving both of you money.

boston_e

That's exactly what it is, because how many people are really going to voluntarily pay Hotel/Motel tax to the state for renting a room in their house? Probably 1 in 5 people, and I'm probably being charitable in that guess.

1 in 5 might be charitable indeed. I'm glad they are doing it. Personally I always found it frustrating that I, in effect, was less competitive price-wise as compared to someone who was renting our their place and dishonestly cheating the system by not collecting the tax from their tenants.

BenedictGomez

1 in 5 might be charitable indeed. I'm glad they are doing it. Personally I always found it frustrating that I, in effect, was less competitive price-wise as compared to someone who was renting our their place and dishonestly cheating the system by not collecting the tax from their tenants.

I err on the side of thinking it's frustrating State of Vermont demands tax payments from someone who a handful of times per year decides to rent out a room in their own house, but I guess having one of the highest property tax rates in all of America just isn't enough.

And now you'll be privileged to be the only state in America to pay a $125 registration fee per year to Vermont to boot. It would be different if folks were renting a lot, say 100 days of the year on AirBnb, but for many people all they do is 3 or 4 weekends per year. I think it's excessively greedy to extract tax payments from them.

EDIT: But given Vermont now does so, you can be dang sure I'd be deducting direct rental expenses off my taxes. What's good for the goose is good for the gander if they want to be so very "technical" and "precise" about this.

deadheadskier

Staff member
For the purpose of this conversation, I have rented a lake house in Maine and all of the taxes and fees were collected through VRBO.

I'd imagine a benefit of an owner using such a service is that the structure of VRBO probably helps mitigate damage concerns through the policies renters sign off on. I'd assume this prevents owners from having to deal with small claims court battles.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

boston_e

I err on the side of thinking it's frustrating State of Vermont demands tax payments from someone who a handful of times per year decides to rent out a room in their own house, but I guess having one of the highest property tax rates in all of America just isn't enough.

And now you'll be privileged to be the only state in America to pay a $125 registration fee per year to Vermont to boot. It would be different if folks were renting a lot, say 100 days of the year on AirBnb, but for many people all they do is 3 or 4 weekends per year. I think it's excessively greedy to extract tax payments from them.

EDIT: But given Vermont now does so, you can be dang sure I'd be deducting direct rental expenses off my taxes. What's good for the goose is good for the gander if they want to be so very "technical" and "precise" about this.

The registration fee does seem like a bit of a slap in the face I ageee. I also agree than anyone renting out their place should be deducting any rental expenses.

MommaBear

Alternatively, after the first time you stay at said Airbnb place you like, work out an "off Airbnb" deal with them to cut out both the middle-man fees and the silly Vermont tax grabs, saving both of you money.

I wasn't willing to forgo the protections Airbnb offers me as the host. Watching a nearby place deal with renter issues (broken stuff, accidental fire, missing furniture) and having Airbnb handle it, was all I needed to see.

But I'm sure you could find someone willing to take the risk.

BenedictGomez

I wasn't willing to forgo the protections Airbnb offers me as the host. Watching a nearby place deal with renter issues (broken stuff, accidental fire, missing furniture) and having Airbnb handle it, was all I needed to see.

If someone destroys property, AirBnB will cut you a check for the damage?