• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite Type of "Trail"

What is your favorite type of trail?

• Classic, windy, narrow, New England

Votes: 27 50.0%
  • Trees

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • Moguls

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Groomers/cruisers

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Terrain Parks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
I like variety, but I guess the trees have to be my favorite. Nothing like finding a great secret trail through the woods.

Last edited:

Savemeasammy

Tight, steep, and challenging. Trees and air opportunities are a bonus. Upper Liftline at Smuggs is a great example.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
One with great snow and few people.

I like variety, but I guess the trees have to be my favorite. Nothing like finding a great secret trail through the woods.

A combo of these two would be my answer.

I like variety, and I like to hit a different type of trail each time down the mountain. I do normally gravitate to the trees, but I think a lot of that is to find fresh(er) snow and fewer people.

KevinF

I prefer terrain that's just "interesting" with changing fall-lines, pitch, narrower areas, wider areas, etc. Stuff that forces you to turn and pay attention.

If that's groomed out, bumped up, or gladed makes little difference to me.

C-Rex

Trees all day. Freshies on a big open bowl on the rare occasion I get the opportunity. But most of the time I want to be in the woods.

drjeff

I prefer terrain that's just "interesting" with changing fall-lines, pitch, narrower areas, wider areas, etc. Stuff that forces you to turn and pay attention.

Agree! I'm really quite happy just sliding downhill on my skis on the snow! If it's a powder day, then give me some wide open spaces to let my skis run and float. If it's a soft pack day, then send me into the trees or the bumps. If it's the morning after a thaw/freeze up and its 15 degrees with a howling wind and "dust on crust" then i'm quite happy laying my skis over and carving up some GS turns, if it's the spring, then whatever terrain/trails have the best corn snow at that moment in time. I really do just love being out on the hill, since for me it's more about the overall experience than the particular terrain i'm on at that moment in time. And yes i'm fully aware how lame that sounds ;) :rolleyes:

dmc

Big Mountain terrain isn't on this... So... can't answer...
Favorite terrain is steep shots into wide open nicely pitched terrain... Like a bowl... Or ridge...
Riding fast - biiiiig turns...

Big mountain...

MadMadWorld

Big Mountain terrain isn't on this... So... can't answer...
Favorite terrain is steep shots into wide open nicely pitched terrain... Like a bowl... Or ridge...
Riding fast - biiiiig turns...

Big mountain...

Sooooo basically Kicking Horse?

Abubob

Website
tee.pub

A lot of the "classic" trails are like that. Keeps it interesting.

Aso-friggin-lutley!

dlague

A lot depends on weather and mood! There are days where steeper groomers are a blast and it is just plain fun to rip it up! On powder days I like Jay Peak's glades since I know them the best. In the spring, I like bump trails and cruisers. On refrozen days - I stick to wide open groomers! Then of course the New England narrow trails are always fun once they are packed down since they will bump out a little and they make you pay attention.

My questions is - how many people ski or snowboard one type of terrain all day? We have a tendancy to mix it up to give the legs a break or chill! Thinking about it - a typical day is 20% New England Windy Narrow, 30% Cruisers, 30% Woods, 10% bumps, 10% park.