• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Final wishes to be buried at a ski area

mriceyman

In my extended family one of the grandfathers had his ashes spread on blue mt in pa

Sent from my iPhone

ScottySkis

I don't know of people but I have a feeling one of the Hunter owners might be buried there.

This might be a shock but I want my ashes flown over Platty.

snowmonster

On the final day at K in 2007 (also my last day there ever), I joined a few AZers (Trailboss, andyzee and mister moose) on a hike to the Canyons area for a ski. With us were a few folks whom I did not know. We hiked all the way to the top of Killington Peak. Then, somebody began speaking about a friend of theirs, a member of a local band who had recently died. He then pulled out a small film canister. Well, his deceased friend asked that his ashes be scattered at the top of K. We had walked into a funeral service!

We tried to be as somber and respectful as possible but I can still remember the look of shock on Trailboss' face. So, to this stranger whose friends sent him off from this life on top of K: may your turns be powder filled wherever you are!

Vortex

I attended a informal service with about 30 of us last year at Sunday River. One of the first people I met from the hill. It was a nice tribute.

C-Rex

I always wanted to be buried on a mountain. I thought it'd be cool if my headstone doubled as a cool little trail feature like a kicker.

dmc

Scattered my dear friend Donna's ashes at Hunter. I miss her terribly but always think of her at that spot in the hill.

twinplanx

This thread hits home to me like a punch to the gut. A few years ago a friend of mine was asked to fill in for the scheduled DJ at Slopes in Hunter. He needed someone to drive him there and I got the call. We picked up another friend and away we went. Since neither of these guys are skiers we partied into the night. At some point the DJ guy handed me a small portion of his brothers cremated remains and asked me to scatter them at the summit. I put them in my ski jacket and continued to drink in excess. The next morning I got up as early as my body would allow me and crept out the room to not disturb my friends. Well I reached in my pocket to get my car keys and discovered what appeared, in my hung-over haze to be a bag of 'shrooms and in a state of utter confusion emptied the contents in the snowy parking lot. Around lunch time I realized what a stupid mistake I had made and this is the first time I have revealed that... :(

SIKSKIER

Always wanted to have myself sprinkled on top of Cannon.I need to put that in my will.I have 2 friends with markers on Cannon.A plaque for Jimmy on Bypass mounted on the side of the ledge outcropping.One of my alltime best friends died almost 10 years ago and we had a beautifull ceremony at the Rock on Taft.Steve and I had been hanging out there for 30 years by the time of his death.We mounted a granite engraved stone on top of the famous rock.Next time you ski in to have a beer,say hi to Steve at his marker.Miss you man.......:cry::cry:

Cornhead

This thread hits home to me like a punch to the gut. A few years ago a friend of mine was asked to fill in for the scheduled DJ at Slopes in Hunter. He needed someone to drive him there and I got the call. We picked up another friend and away we went. Since neither of these guys are skiers we partied into the night. At some point the DJ guy handed me a small portion of his brothers cremated remains and asked me to scatter them at the summit. I put them in my ski jacket and continued to drink in excess. The next morning I got up as early as my body would allow me and crept out the room to not disturb my friends. Well I reached in my pocket to get my car keys and discovered what appeared, in my hung-over haze to be a bag of 'shrooms and in a state of utter confusion emptied the contents in the snowy parking lot. Around lunch time I realized what a stupid mistake I had made and this is the first time I have revealed that... :(

Too funny, at least you didn't try to get high with them...did you? :dontknow: Good thing Keith Richards wasn't around. Eh, the parking lot, the summit, what's the difference at Hunter? They raped that mountain to make the trails anyway. Close enough in my book.

twinplanx

Too funny, at least you didn't try to get high with them...did you? :dontknow: Good thing Keith Richards wasn't around. Eh, the parking lot, the summit, what's the difference at Hunter? They raped that mountain to make the trails anyway. Close enough in my book.

No, lol, I was so confused I just dumped the evidence. Thanks for the vote of confidence ;-) ...I think

Cornhead

I've never considered a ski hill, but I did think of having my ashes scattered at Robert H Treman Park in Ithaca. I used to hike there regularly, it's my favorite. Ithaca, and the surrounding area, are pretty awesome. Hell, NY State is pretty awesome. I may be biased, but there are a lot of cool places in NY, the Daks, the Cats, Niagara Falls, the Finger Lakes, Lake Ontario, and the St Lawrence, the Genesee River Gorge.

When you tell peopled you're from NY, they automatically assume you're from NYC. They seem oblivious to the fact there's a State of NY. You have to throw in "Up State". Kinda weird, a whole State overwhelmed by a city. It is one big ass city, I must admit. Awesome in it's own right. It's a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there, or be scattered there after.

Maybe I should have them scattered at the "summit" of Greek Peak? Hopefully I won't end up in the parking lot. I'm sure I won't care if I do. :wink:

twinplanx

I have not actually considered a ski hill either. I'd prefer to be scattered at sea. As for the NY thing, I feel I constantly educate folks from out of town that Long Island IS NOT NYC. Then on the flip side those folks from Brooklyn/Queens, that geographical, they ARE on Long Island. Also people do not seem to realize they were not kidding when they named it LONG Island. Rant over, now back to you previously scheduled programming...

JimG.

Staff member
I always thought it would be cool to be somehow incorporated into 2 pairs of skis, one for show, the other for real use.

Then I could still go skiing.

JimG.

Staff member
Scattered my dear friend Donna's ashes at Hunter. I miss her terribly but always think of her at that spot in the hill.

I attended that service. I always think of that when I ski by there.

It's a good spot to stop and chill a bit.