• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First signs that ski season is near

ironhippy

the bugs have died down significantly in the last few weeks, I no longer need to wear a hoodie while walking the dog.

Tin

The Perseid meteor shower...the past three years along Rt. 9 in CT, south of Hartford, it coincides with some of the first leaves changing. I think the southern CT River Valley is one of the first places in southern New England where the leaves start changing.

slatham

Flock O Ducks, southbound.

Multi day, cool East breeze at beach.

Noticeable pick up in activity on AlpineZone!

NFL football on the tube..... albeit preseason football :-/
Local ski shop receiving deliveries of this upcoming winter's stock.
Days are getting shorter

JimG.

Staff member
Actually this is the worst time of the year for bugs on the ocean beaches. Unbearable at times.

Beaches always bad for bugs in August; bugs have not been bad on hikes in Gunks and Cats.

Sometimes bugs are so bad at Mohonk and Sam's Point it can be unbearable.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I live in a Wooded area and love it when the Katydids start calling when it gets dark there so loud we can hear them inside. It's music to me but my wife hates it.

catsup948

Labor Day when the leaves start losing their green I start thinking about skiing. It's often almost three months from there to real skiing but I love September and Octorber, so no complaints.

SIKSKIER

Had leaves on the lawn when I mowed it last weekend.I have a swamp maple that is almost fully red by the end of August.The persoids are always a benchmark for me as is my poolwater temps dropping.

Domeskier

I saw a woman wearing a wool scarf on the subway last night... And I don't think the train was coming from Brooklyn...

dlague

Definitely getting dark earlier - wanted to mow my lawn after dinner and by the time I was ready it was starting to get darker.

WoodCore

Steam coming off the water early in the morning at the local reservoir I pass on my commute.

Quietman

Today I mounted bindings to the K2 Aftershocks that I bought from prsboogie. My wife(non-skiing) was wondering why I needed to do it since it is still August.

skiNEwhere

Today I mounted bindings to the K2 Aftershocks that I bought from prsboogie. My wife(non-skiing) was wondering why I needed to do it since it is still August.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me (maybe AZ'ers collectively aren't the best authority on the normalcy of this?)