• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First Snowfalls, Upcoming weather and Storms of winter 2022-2023. Storm snow totals, Observations and Predictions?

4aprice

Good detective work Dome. Last week was the first time (of 4) that I have seen them there. Guess it's going to be an on/off thing we will have to pay attention to. Much more fun when there.

BodeMiller1

It is probably glare out around OZ, butt in looking for snow. I have found a new planet or possible black hole.
So, I got that going for me.
Never mind, it's a confirmed UFO, nothing to see here.

Attachments

• SE.jpg
    SE.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 7

MidnightJester

Looking at Vermont's 14 day weather pattern is very unhappy to the Ski mountains for snowmaking. At least they should get their snowmaking reservoirs and rivers to good levels

slatham

Looking at Vermont's 14 day weather pattern is very unhappy to the Ski mountains for snowmaking. At least they should get their snowmaking reservoirs and rivers to good levels
Yup, hoping for an early Nov pattern change. Worry that with La Niña the change will be slow, and not strong. Feels a lot like last year.

MidnightJester

Looks like 2022-2023 triple La Nina is strenging and parking itself for the winter until spring. Little or no break up till late winter. The Canadian CanSIPS model is a little too warm and dry for my liking lol.

Last edited:

tumbler

November snow in New England generally means dry December into January.

MidnightJester

The 2022-2023 Ski season if off to a decent start in the Middle of the Country.

Last edited:

slatham

We need a wholesale pattern change and the models are not even hinting at one until after the first week of November and more like mid-month.

NYDB

looking forward to hiking and mountain biking in shorts and t shirt in VT this and next week.

This is going to the norm moving forward. warmer falls. get used to it.

skiur

Can't really argue that the climate is warmer the last 30 years. Cause of it can be argued but that it is happening is a fact.

MidnightJester

I didn't think this was something up for debate. there are a million studies about it online and they are pretty conclusive.

we are the frog in the pot.
While the frogs and amphibians are all having serious issues its chemicals which are their downfall. Slow boiling water or not.

And the heat map you are using and a lot of the similar warming maps are all based on ground stations in the middle of urban environments that never existed when the stations were put together.

Driving through NYC and most major urban cities you can see a 5 degree to 10 degree jump in temperature entering and leaving the cities. Every thing around you is a heater. People, lights, buildings, asphalt and concrete are a heat sink to boot.

Our time scales are off as we are basing it on our lifespan that is too short in cosmic standards. Long before our industrialization we were a Ice ball and a Fire ball, a Dust ball and a Drowning world many times over. No human influence in those. The Sun's output and our spin in the the solar system and universe are our major driving forces on much our world changes. Throw in Major Volcanos and and this world will change no matter what. We do add effect but not to the extent that some like to believe.

Life in the future will be interesting because most of humanity cant' survive a ice age ever again. Most of the world will die if it ever happens. There is no Shoveling or getting rid of 100's to thousands of feet of snow and Ice.

Last edited:

MidnightJester

Snow and Rain on the way. Happy Upper-Midwest and Colorado and not-so happy Vermont and the North East.

Last edited:

Smellytele

Snow and Rain on the way. Happy Upper-Midwest and Colorado and not-so happy Vermont and the North East.

Too early preseason to care much about rain. Now if it was raining the week before thanksgiving and warm temps in the forecast then …