• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First Time at Stowe (I broke my ski in half)

skiMEbike

so you bought women's skis?

After reading the TR, that is the only thing I took away & kept asking myself...Is this for real? I orginally thought: SS20 must be a woman who typically skis mens skis, and therefore was disappointed when she purchased a set of woman's skis. I guess they are technically the same construction as a men's ski, but they look much prettier.

gmcunni

i don't see the big deal with them being women's skis. he skied them and liked them so he bought them. not like they are pink and white.

but then again, i drove a VW Cabriolet for years so i might not be the best judge of manliness.

Warp Daddy

Hey if you like ' em and they performed well for you and you think u got a deal , eff it , ride 'em , but dont break 'em :daffy:

Yo VW cabriolet aint no big deal either G man , BUT hangin with AI at this late date , well thats another story hahahahaha

Domeskier

Men's v. women's skis sounds like a marketing ploy. I bet the manufacturers charge more for women's skis, too.

jrmagic

As said before generally women's skis are a little softer as most women don't have the body weight or strength to flex a stiffer men's ski properly. If I recall Dynastar Legends are on the still side so having a slightly softer flex could make the ski more playful

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
For "best exit", I won a pair of women's skis at Burke's pond skimming 6 years ago. I didn't realize it at first as they were still in plastic. As I was loading them in the truck I noticed it said "She Devil" on the side of them. I knew they were too small for me anyway so I figured I won my wife a new pair of skis :)
She is still skiing on them.

SkiingInABlueDream

The only case for female-specific skis I've ever bought into (besides marketing/fluff) is that, for any given combo of factors (skier weight, ability level, skiing style & terrain choice), a male skier is likely to push/load/drive/use/whatever the ski harder than a corresponding female skier. Going with that, the women's ski can be more softer/more forgiving/whatever version of the man's ski.

But even then, there's not a lot of direct overlap. You don't have too many 130# adult male expert skiers out there. Or 200# adult female expert skiers.

I've read the claim that the difference in upper-to-lower body proportions between men & women creates a need for women-specific skis, but I don't buy it.

It just seems to come back to marketing to me.
(As Jaded Local in Pow Mag once wrote, it's not like women's knees bend the opposite direction. :) )

Edit: Hip width and knee angle in women - I think this is absolutely a factor with boots and the whole fitment & alignment process, but still not skis IMO.

Last edited:

slatham

I have three daughters that rip. And there is of course Lindsey and Mikaela. So I say "SKI LIKE A GIRL!!" and you'll beat most of the guys.

WWF-VT

Binding position is different on women's skis, if I am not mistaken.

Dynastar says this about this ski:

EXCLUSIVE BALANCE SYSTEM
Because women's anatomy is different from men's, we developed a specific technology adapted to their needs to help them improve their performance and make progress faster. A. Forward mounting point - precision B. Raised heel - balance C. Lightweight - effective. For less fatigue and more skiing pleasure!

Madroch

If you like how they ski, and feel you got a decent deal.. Enjoy em! But i would probably have a word with Stowe toys about not identifying them for you- maybe u can knock a few more bucks off!

thetrailboss

Staff member
If you like how they ski, and feel you got a decent deal.. Enjoy em! But i would probably have a word with Stowe toys about not identifying them for you- maybe u can knock a few more bucks off!

Agree on all points. If you're happy, who cares?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I contacted Stowe about the ordeal and will see what they say. I'm not picky- it was $120 in a "I had to do it" situation. Hopefully they'll give me some compensation. If I had bought new 2015 skis that had never left the rack I would be absolutely livid.

Scruffy

I've read the claim that the difference in upper-to-lower body proportions between men & women creates a need for women-specific skis, but I don't buy it.

What don't you buy about woman carrying more weight on their hips than men, who carry their weight higher on there chest?
Think leverage, when you, as a man, I presume, lean into your boots and flex them you have a much grater mechanical advantage to bend the front of your ski, than your GF. Not to say some women, Lindsey Vonn, for example can't bend a stiff ski, but the average women skier is better served by a ski designed for their anatomy.

Scruffy

I contacted Stowe about the ordeal and will see what they say. I'm not picky- it was $120 in a "I had to do it" situation. Hopefully they'll give me some compensation. If I had bought new 2015 skis that had never left the rack I would be absolutely livid.

For $120 why worry about it. You obviously liked the way they ski, if nothing else, keep them for rock skis.

BTW, a lot of men use women skis because they are appropriate for their height and weight. Not sure of your stats, but don't get hung up on the top sheet. Cover the top sheets with hard core stickers, and you'll be good to go.