• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First Time Ski Area Visits - visitied this year or planned

dlague

Having been to about 30 ski areas across New England getting to new places gets harder every year but we do have a couple planned this year

Sugarloaf and Mount Abram

What is or will be new to you this season? And for the fun of it - How many ski areas have you skied in the Northeast?

xwhaler

New Areas This yr: Middlebury, Owls Head
Possibly: Berkshire East, Mt Abram, S6

Last edited:

hammer

First time to Killington last weekend. Want to go back.

My wife wanted to plan a trip to CO in March but our son wasn't on board so we may "settle" for a few days at Stowe.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I did a major tour last year....hitting every other area near SLC that I had not tried including:

Nordic Valley/Wolf Mountain
Snowbasin
Park City Mountain Resort
Brighton
Solitude
Sundance

Definitely fun, but this season I'm planning on sticking to Alta, Snowbird, and Deer Valley by choice.

I am coming to Vermont in a few weeks. I am planning on visiting Burke, Lyndon Outing Club, Sugarbush North, and maybe Cannon or Bretton Woods with friends and family while I am there. Those are all old favorites.

Highway Star

Having been to about 30 ski areas across New England getting to new places gets harder every year but we do have a couple planned this year

Sugarloaf and Mount Abram

What is or will be new to you this season? And for the fun of it - How many ski areas have you skied in the Northeast?

I heard they were planning to probe Uranus.

Powda

I haven't been to very many different places so this year should be exciting.

Planned trips to: Smuggs, Sugarbush, Mad River Glen, Pico and Bromley.

podunk77

I give myself partial credit for trying to ski Middlebury... I stayed overnight nearby and was all set to ski there but they had no power due to the storm. If I don't get back this year, it'll be on the list for next year.

jaytrem

New for me so far is Granite Gorge. Did some ngiht skiing there on my way from Crotched to Mount Snow. It was only open too the mid-station but still a good time. I'll try to get back when it's open to the top, it's small but it does have good pitch.

The rest of the plan for the year isn't looking so great right now. Oregon isn't doing to well with snow so far, it's been way too warm. Lots of precip this week, but the wrong kind. The plan is to pick up Skibowl, then do a couple runs at Cooper Spur, Hoodoo, Willamette, Ashland, Warner and Shasta. Right now they're all closed or close to it. Worst case we'll just move part of the trip to ID or WA. This is my 2nd trip to OR, the 1st one was also a near snowless year for most of the places. Bachelor was fine and at the end I did score powder days at Hood Meadows and Timberline. It was a good 3 feet of powder on to of sharp rocks, but powder none-the-less. The middle of that trip I moved to Bogus, Tamarack, Brundage, Soldier and Anthony Lakes, I might be looking at a repeat of that.

For the East I'm also going to try for Middlebury, Suicide Six, Whaleback and Tuxedo Ridge.

Just back from my first time ever at Middlebury Snow Bowl and all I can say is WOW! I was totally surprised by the size and variety of terrain. It didn't hurt that I was still getting fresh tracks after 3PM today. Lots of steeps and drops as well as open boundaries in trees. Definitely will return.

Smellytele

Just back from my first time ever at Middlebury Snow Bowl and all I can say is WOW! I was totally surprised by the size and variety of terrain. It didn't hurt that I was still getting fresh tracks after 3PM today. Lots of steeps and drops as well as open boundaries in trees. Definitely will return.

Was the back/side open? I really want to hit it when the whole thing is open.

xwhaler

Did u go on a weekday? We will be there on a Monday in March and like Smellytele I would love if both front and back side lifts are open midweek.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I give myself partial credit for trying to ski Middlebury... I stayed overnight nearby and was all set to ski there but they had no power due to the storm. If I don't get back this year, it'll be on the list for next year.

Midd is fun when there is snow.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member

It's a well-kept secret.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

jaytrem

Did u go on a weekday? We will be there on a Monday in March and like Smellytele I would love if both front and back side lifts are open midweek.

The snow report says all 4 lifts ran today. So it looks like the backside is open midweek. Midweek lift closures does make trip planning difficult sometimes. Last year I scheduled Great Divide for a weekend due to that, ended up getting burnt by the wind anyway. They got the summit open though, so I can't complain. This year I scheduled Willamette for the weekend, that's the only Oregon place with a section closed midweek.

ironhippy

This year I've already been to Keystone and Breckenridge in Colorado for the first time.

I plan on going to the Gaspee and visiting Val-d'Irene in Amqui and Mont Miller/ in Murdochville this winter for the first time, preferably after a storm has rolled in.