• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First?

thebigo

Open Daily Starting November 18

It's finally here! The 2021-2022 winter season starts on Thursday, November 18 at 9AM. We're opening to Passholders, Ikon Passholders, and ticket pack holders only for access to T2 and Upper Sunday Punch on the Locke Mountain Triple. Terrain is for advanced skiers and riders only, and downloading may be required. If you don't have a season pass or ticket pack, Season Passes and Maine Four-Day Passes are on sale now, or join us starting on Sunday, November 21.

Starting tomorrow, all skier services will be based out of Barker Lodge. The Season Pass Office opens at 8:30AM if you are looking to get your RFID pass printed. Have your RFID from last year? You can head straight to the lift.

slatham

Good to hear SR to open. Looks like an up/down temp cycle to continue. Maybe a storm early next week but models not yet on to a solution. With luck most areas that planned to be open by or before Thanksgiving will at least make Thanksgiving.

machski

Well I'll be damned, they are launching off just the Locke midstation. Given we are past the midpoint of November and Ma Nature has been a bitch, figured they would use it if they had to. Hard to figure if that was their intention this year or were boxed into that corner by the uncooperative weather.

Hawk

I don't know why this is a surprise. It is what they have done more often than not. I guess the know it all reports that they will not use the midstation are just bable as usual.

speden

No opening date yet for Bretton Woods, but they say they are making snow on four trails, and the trails they've picked make me think initially they will be using the gondola as the first open lift. I hope they are able to open before turkey day.

I've been lamenting that their webcam has been down for over a year, but apparently they are planning to put a new webcam in the new Rosebrook lodge at the top in a few weeks. That should be better than the old base lodge cam, but I wish they had both.

machski

I don't know why this is a surprise. It is what they have done more often than not. I guess the know it all reports that they will not use the midstation are just bable as usual.
Just because they have in the past doesn't mean they will moving forward. We'll see what happens moving forward as this will give BH his first experience with midstation skiing as GM.

GreenLine

I didn't see anyone mention this yet but looks like Cannon is opening the day after Thanksgiving. Announcement on their home page and the mountain report has more info: https://www.cannonmt.com/mountain-report

They just received 6" and temps look like they should be cold enough Thanksgiving weekend with chance of snow the entire weekend.

Smellytele

I didn't see anyone mention this yet but looks like Cannon is opening the day after Thanksgiving. Announcement on their home page and the mountain report has more info: https://www.cannonmt.com/mountain-report

They just received 6" and temps look like they should be cold enough Thanksgiving weekend with chance of snow the entire weekend.
That is their traditional opening day. very rarely they open before or after that day.

Edd

It’s just that, the midstation option sucks so I can see SR trying their damndest to get away from that.

speden

Wonder how close Loon Is to opening...
Is that new Kancamagus 8 seater lift finished now? I'm wondering if those trails can handle the extra traffic. It was often pretty congested at the top just with the old quad.

thebigo

Is that new Kancamagus 8 seater lift finished now? I'm wondering if those trails can handle the extra traffic. It was often pretty congested at the top just with the old quad.
Theoretical capacity increase is only around 25% due to chair spacing. May be less in actuality because people are not used to loading an 8.

thebigo

Wonder how close Loon Is to opening...
Loon had day tickets listed on website for Friday a couple days ago. Currently have tickets listed for Sunday. Sunday river opens to the public on Sunday; would help spread crowds if SR and loon opened to the public on the same day. Loon was blowing the gondola base this morning but did not make much progress.

The boyne mountains really need more webcams. K is probably the best in this area, SR could use a cam at barker and Loon could use one on the gondola summit and north peak base. Checked the ragged cam today, only one cam but regularly oscillated between a half dozen fixed positions.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Loon had day tickets listed on website for Friday a couple days ago. Currently have tickets listed for Sunday. Sunday river opens to the public on Sunday; would help spread crowds if SR and loon opened to the public on the same day. Loon was blowing the gondola base this morning but did not make much progress.

The boyne mountains really need more webcams. K is probably the best in this area, SR could use a cam at barker and Loon could use one on the gondola summit and north peak base. Checked the ragged cam today, only one cam but regularly oscillated between a half dozen fixed positions.

Too funny. And I'm in full agreement. More cams = more better.

I'm just flashing back to the 80s where my only knowledge of conditions as a kid was looking at a small conditions report in the back page of the sports section in the Boston Globe. Right next to the NBA and NHL standings they'd list all the ski areas, how many lifts and trails they have open and any snow 24 hours ago.

Then along came the high tech conditions reports you could call into.

drjeff

Don't know if it's passed inspection by the state yet, there have though been photos of those big bubbles on the haul rope in the last few days