• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fishing 2022

JimG.

Staff member
Bog Brook 4/22/22-So I had planned on going fishing with my friends Richard and Steve on Friday 4/22 but Belleayre blew my mind and reopened so I went skiing instead.

Richard and Steve went to Bog Brook in search of early season bass. Great weather but It was a tough day fishing and no bass were landed. But Steve did manage to catch a very nice brown trout:

SD1.jpg

He laughed when I asked him what lure he used; he reminded me of a late season day at Pepacton last year when I couldn't buy a bite from a fish and put on a #4 Vibrax out of desperation and proceeded to clean up. I caught a brown around that same size that day. Glad to see the good fishing luck getting spread around a bit.

JimG.

Staff member
East Branch Reservoir 5/1-Rich G. and I went for a row around the EB. Did a lot of trolling and casting but the water seemed cold still and we caught nothing. Didn't get a bite or see a fish in fact. Tried all my favorite lures, not even a nibble.

Bog Brook 5/5-Rich N., Steve and I went out on Bog Brook. Gorgeous weather around 70 and a reasonable breeze blowing from the NW. I have had good luck the past few seasons fishing with a plastic worm (Yamamoto 5" Senko) at BB. So I tied on a worm and got confused looks from my fishing partners. "Too cold still for worms". To me the trick is not what you fish but where you fish it. During the spawn just annoying a fish by dropping a lure on it's head is enough to get aggressive bites. That's mostly just dumb luck but fishing shallows near deep drops seems to work for me. A nice smallmouth bass about 3.5 lbs:
Bog3.jpg
A very nice largemouth bass about 4 lbs:
Bog2.jpg
Caught 3 other bass all about 2 lbs. Steve and Rich of course tried the worm after seeing me land these but they just didn't have the confidence in that lure that I have on this specific impoundment. They eventually tied on spinners and Steve landed a decent trout and Rich another nice smallmouth at the end of our day about 100 yards from the boat spot:
Bog1.jpg
Just goes to show that if you keep your lure in the water and don't give up good things can happen. Really great to fish with Rich N. he had a major health scare the past 2 years and recently received a clean bill of health. Looking forward to more fishing days with these guys this year. Great early season fishing action!

JimG.

Staff member
Bog Brook 5/12-went out with Rich G. and Steve. First hour and a half was pretty good. Rich caught a few largemouths on a brown senko. Steve caught a few bass. I caught a decent fish on a large jointed shad rap:
BB5.jpg
Then those nice clouds disappeared and it got sunnier and hot. And the fishing slowly died. We were off the water at 7.

JimG.

Staff member
Rye Lake 5/20-Strange weather made for difficult fishing. First the wind from the east blowing hard at times. I drove south to Rye Lake in clouds and drizzle. Clouds and wind as we pushed off. Then patches of blue sky. Then blazing sunshine and no clouds. Actually felt hot for 5 minutes. Then the east wind cranked up again and some clouds returned. Then it got cloudy and humid. Just before the rain started. All in about 2 and a half hours.
That's when Steve caught this big largemouth:
SD2.jpg
Other than that nice catch we got a few disinterested hits and hooked no other fish. At that point it started raining pretty hard and we headed back. Rainy and windy the whole row back to the boat spot. We emptied the boat and locked it up and got ready to leave. At which point the wind died and it stopped raining. So we hung out at shore and had a few beers. Not a great day of fishing but there will be a payback day soon I'm sure.

JimG.

Staff member
Rye Lake 5/26-Good day fishing with Steve today. I caught 10 smallmouth bass, nothing really big but all decent sized. Steve had similar action. Great fishing from 3:00 to about 6:00pm then the bite seemed to diminish and end. In the car headed home at 7:30.

I always really enjoy days with consistent fishing action. No pics today it was a quantity over quality day.

JimG.

Staff member
East Branch 5/30-Mike and I were out early at the small island at 6:30am. We fished until noon. Caught a few small fish. 1 small smallmouth and one small largemouth. Not a great day of fishing. Always fun to be out on the water.
RL11.jpg
Rye Lake 6/3-Another great day of consistent fishing action at Rye Lake. No really big fish but plenty of good-sized smallmouths. Boating 10 or so fish averaging this size is so much fun:
RL10.jpg
RL9.jpg
Bog Brook 6/4-Since the weather was pretty much the same today Rich G. and I decided to fish a few hours at Bog Brook. BB is a good fishery but I've never had a really great day there. Until today. Boated my biggest and fattest smallmouth so far this year:
RL13.jpg
That catch was on my second cast of the day. The action was crazy and we wound up staying until dark. My best day ever at Bog Brook. One nice smallmouth after another:
RL12.jpg
June is always a great month for bass fishing and we are off to a great start.

JimG.

Staff member
Pepacton reservoir 6/9-Steve and I went for a day of wading for bass and trout at Pepacton. It was one of those "the weather is changing every 5 minutes" type of days that can lead to frustrated fishermen. But the fishing was pretty good and we each landed about a dozen fish. Most of the fish were small but Steve caught 3 decent sized smallmouths and I landed a very nice brook trout:
Pep15.jpg
It has been years since I caught a nice brook trout so my day was a total success just for that.

JimG.

Staff member
East Branch Reservoir 6/19-Afternoon Father's Day fishing with Mike. Got out at about 4pm it was a nice but windy day. The EB has been a big disappointment so far this season so we decided to fish areas we usually ignore. As it turned out the shorelines from our boat spot to the spillway, then along the rip rap/causeway and across the dam to the railroad tracks was pretty much out of the wind. We were able to fish plastic worms effectively and we had a great 5 hours of fishing. We each boated 5 nice bass and bigger pumpkinseeds were hitting non-stop. We also fished a few windy areas and it was just too windy. We returned to the boat spot the same way we rowed out and caught fish right up until dark. Great opening Sunday of freshwater bass season in NY.
EB8.jpg
EB7.jpg

JimG.

Staff member
Bog Brook 6/24-hit the water at 3:00 with Steve and Rich G. joined us at 4:30. We were off the water before dark. Caught a few small fish each. I hooked 3 fish that fought hard for 2-3 minutes then got off the hook. Bigger fish were not hitting aggressively, and I suspect it was a morning and early afternoon type of day. Fishing died completely about an hour before we got off the water.

JimG.

Staff member
Bog Brook 6/29-on water at 3pm with Mike. Pretty good day similar to when I was here 5 days ago but today the fish were more aggressive and we each landed 3 nice largemouths and many smaller fish. It was a largemouth only day did not hook a smallmouth the entire time out.
BB6.jpg
BB7.jpg

ThatGuy

Been trying to catch this guy for a while. Put up a great fight. Wish I had my net so I could’ve gotten a better picture and kept him in the water. Thankfully he was barely hooked so I got him released quick (hopefully to catch again).
59D44764-168E-4840-A259-7CAB858A10CA.jpeg
A74C83A8-8249-4A0E-B164-A1128110894A.jpeg

JimG.

Staff member
East Branch Reservoir 7/10-Sunny and hot day, went out at 4pm with Rich G. Great weather but not great fishing. We each boated 2 small bass and a few pumpkinseeds.
Fish were just not biting.

ThatGuy

East Branch Reservoir 7/10-Sunny and hot day, went out at 4pm with Rich G. Great weather but not great fishing. We each boated 2 small bass and a few pumpkinseeds.
Fish were just not biting.
Just spent three hours at the creek a few mins from my house. No bites but saw multiple 16+ inch browns in the same pool sitting around. Didn’t want to hit anything I threw at them though.
C8FF5526-BA01-4BE7-88B3-FF6F2301307F.jpeg
F8C46BC6-163D-4CC7-BB32-0603E8CCD8E2.jpeg

ThatGuy

Caught this brown today but didn’t get a picture of him out of the water. Somewhere around 20” with beautiful coloring. Really hoping for some rain and cooler days to get the fish more active.
E22B8E86-F419-47A7-ADE5-0785E8A4DCBD.jpeg

ThatGuy

Shaver Pond, caught a few little Smallies.
Had a 20+ incher on but he spit my lure right before I landed him.
74B7A3A4-2CE1-44B0-BCB2-0F953EA989BE.jpeg

JimG.

Staff member
Been almost a month since I've been out fishing (7/10 last).
Thought about going at least a half dozen times the past 2 weeks but either blazing heat or thunderstorms foiled me.