• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

flying to Denver with skis

jaytrem

"There is no additional charge for ski and snowboard equipment; however, one item of equipment will count as one of your checked bags."

I'm confused here so do they charge for skis are not?

It means they won't charge you more than the standard luggage rate. So if you pay $25 for a regular suitcase you pay $25 for skis. Many airline charge extra for certain items such as bicycles even if they under the size/weight limits. Skis seem to be exempt so far for some reason.

Puck it

"There is no additional charge for ski and snowboard equipment; however, one item of equipment will count as one of your checked bags."

Southwest is a no for your bag of clothes and ski and boot bag. I may be able to reduce your rental cost. I need to check first though.

gmcunni

jetblue allows you to check 1 bag for free. so you can check your skis (and boots) for free. if you can fit the rest of your gear in a carry-on bag then you are good to go. if you check another suitcase then you pay for it.

that's why i stuff a bunch of cloths and crap into the ski and boot bags. i just carried on the rest.

gmcunni

Southwest is a no for your bag of clothes and ski and boot bag.

i think it is against the rules for all airlines, i also think you can get away with it (as i and many others have too). if busted you pay, if not you don't. especially if your boot bag is a transpack type.. you can fit a ton in there.

1 year on a trip to SLC i put 3 pairs of skis in 1 ski bag (1 adult + 2 kids skis) and got it through as a single bag. curb check and tip a few bucks is recommended by others as a sure fire way to avoid the full cost. i've not done that, checking in at the podium inside had not been an issue (yet).

mishka

Southwest is a no for your bag of clothes and ski and boot bag. I may be able to reduce your rental cost. I need to check first though.

Southwest about double the price compared to JetBlue so even with extra charges for skis (second bag:puke:) still doable.
Would be nice to pay less for car rental:thumbup:

mishka

jetblue allows you to check 1 bag for free. so you can check your skis (and boots) for free. if you can fit the rest of your gear in a carry-on bag then you are good to go. if you check another suitcase then you pay for it.

that's why i stuff a bunch of cloths and crap into the ski and boot bags. i just carried on the rest.

not going to work for me. Two pair skis going into plastic case after that not much room in case will be left. Unlikely everything else will fit into carryon luggage

MadMadWorld

I flew to BC/AB and Chile with my skis. I literally used packing tape around large foam pads near the tips and around the bindings and put it in a long cardboard box. It worked fine both times with a problem.

gmcunni

not going to work for me. Two pair skis going into plastic case after that not much room in case will be left. Unlikely everything else will fit into carryon luggage

never used a plastic case so no sure how it works but even in my soft bag i took base layers, gloves, t-shirts, socks, underwear, bathing suit, shorts, etc. small stuff i could stuff into nooks and crannies to fill up the ski and boot bags. leaving as much room as i could in my carry-on suitcase for the bulkier items.

but for $25 you can check the suitcase (on jetblue) so it really isn't that expensive. unless you are talking more than 1 person

Brad J

I stuff the ski bag with clothes so the skis can't get damaged. I also carry on the boots and the ski clothes just in case luggage is lost I can just rent skis.

Love southwest , good price ,good ski bag policy ,also stuff bag with cloths to protect skis, would like to buy a hard case some day but my method has worked for years.

mishka

never used a plastic case so no sure how it works but even in my soft bag i took base layers, gloves, t-shirts, socks, underwear, bathing suit, shorts, etc. small stuff i could stuff into nooks and crannies to fill up the ski and boot bags. leaving as much room as i could in my carry-on suitcase for the bulkier items.

but for $25 you can check the suitcase (on jetblue) so it really isn't that expensive. unless you are talking more than 1 person

I wasn't comfortable with ideal of ski bag(saw once long time ago guy carry ski bag in a airport with broken skis) that's why I got plastic case not much room in it. 6"x 6" dimensions maybe some miscellaneous small stuff. $25 small price to pay but JetBlue website saying $50 for additional bag

Love southwest , good price ,good ski bag policy ,also stuff bag with cloths to protect skis, would like to buy a hard case some day but my method has worked for years.

maybe I'm checking in the wrong places Southwest $270-- $300 one way jetblue $150 one-way

Last edited:

gmcunni

sorry, i was going from memory on previous trips, didn't check the current pricing. $50 kind of sucks

don't forget.. wear lots of layers on the plane then take off and stuff in overhead bin so it doesn't take up space in your bag :)

soulseller

I wasn't comfortable with ideal of ski bag(saw once long time ago guy carry ski bag in a airport with broken skis) that's why I got plastic case not much room in it. 6"x 6" dimensions maybe some miscellaneous small stuff. $25 small price to pay but JetBlue website saying $50 for additional bag

maybe I'm checking in the wrong places Southwest $270-- $300 one way jetblue $150 one-way

I'm not surprised, I have had to fly for work a few times over the past few months and I book my own flights. SW has consistently been the highest price. I am currently working in New Orleans, I bought my flight on cheaptickets.com, even on works dime i'm still a cheap SOB and searched for the absolute best deal I could find.

snoseek

Go to Utah IMO. No car needed, cheap lodging on 7200, reasonable day tickets and usually perfect western skiing. Airline tix are just a bit more....busses are free is you get a superpass and ski lcc/bcc. also SLC airport vs DIA is easier access.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Go to Utah IMO. No car needed, cheap lodging on 7200, reasonable day tickets and usually perfect western skiing. Airline tix are just a bit more....busses are free is you get a superpass and ski lcc/bcc. also SLC airport vs DIA is easier access.

Agreed on all points

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

soulseller

Pricing difference isn't even that much right now, prices to DIA are crazy right now. I just did a quick price DIA vs SLC check and its a $60 difference.

The big advantage of SLC is proximity to mountains. I've only been to UT once, i've been to CO thrice, but I like the CO vibe better, so much so that every now and then I try to talk my wife into moving to Denver.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Pricing difference isn't even that much right now, prices to DIA are crazy right now. I just did a quick price DIA vs SLC check and its a $60 difference.

The big advantage of SLC is proximity to mountains. I've only been to UT once, i've been to CO thrice, but I like the CO vibe better, so much so that every now and then I try to talk my wife into moving to Denver.

As to SLC, one can ski for free (or half price) at the major resorts on the first day that you fly in. Alta/Snowbird are half-price. Deer Valley used to be free. Check their websites for more information.

I will say that Denver is a big city, so if you like big cities, then go there. But it is a long way from the mountains. DEN is even further away. When you land you will wonder where the damn mountains are. I won't even mention the traffic.

Compare it to SLC. 5 minutes from SLC to Downtown. No joke. It's an easy 45 mins or less from SLC to Snowbird. Less than an hour to pretty much every other area in the SLC vicinity. All major places. No traffic to speak of generally.

No brainer.

mishka

initially I thought to go to Utah.
not long ago skiNEwhere throw in "invitation" to CO I figure minus well.... at least I know someone local to point me to the right direction

thetrailboss

Staff member
initially I thought to go to Utah.
not long ago skiNEwhere throw in "invitation" to CO I figure minus well.... at least I know someone local to point me to the right direction

Feel free to shoot me a PM for advice on Utah.