• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

For all you Scooby drivers......

And we promised our Son a WRX if he graduates High school in National Honer Society! What have we done! After training gates all day, he will still be on the mtn! God I hope not. Amazing the capabilities of the Subie all-wheel drive!

Wow you guys are ballers if you're buying your son a WRX..his insurance is going to be so freaking high..kind of a stupid idea to give an 18 year old a powderful car..get him a ford focus..

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Wow you guys are ballers if you're buying your son a WRX..his insurance is going to be so freaking high..kind of a stupid idea to give an 18 year old a powderful car..get him a ford focus..

GrilledSteezeSandwich,

Your comment is kind of harsh. Also, I already checked and a WRX=265hp (NOT an STI=305hp) will be about the same as what we are paying now for a 2006 Honda CRV. The STI is a lot higher though. I would never by a FORD...

GrilledSteezeSandwich,

Your comment is kind of harsh. Also, I already checked and a WRX=265hp (NOT an STI=305hp) will be about the same as what we are paying now for a 2006 Honda CRV. The STI is a lot higher though. I would never by a FORD...

Harsh...lol..do you want your kid to be rallying around in a WRX??? 265HP..a kid that age needs about 100 horses..get him a base level Impreza and save yourself several grand plus your kid will be safer..get your kid a Civic..

Anyway I'm jealous of your kid..he'll have a nicer car than most grownups..

wa-loaf

GrilledSteezeSandwich,

Harsh...lol..do you want your kid to be rallying around in a WRX??? 265HP..a kid that age needs about 100 horses..get him a base level Impreza and save yourself several grand plus your kid will be safer..get your kid a Civic..

Anyway I'm jealous of your kid..he'll have a nicer car than most grownups..

I'm with GSS on this. Giving a kid that much power in a car is just asking for trouble. My kids are getting used VW Golfs or something when they are old enough to drive.

Geoff

I'm with GSS on this. Giving a kid that much power in a car is just asking for trouble. My kids are getting used VW Golfs or something when they are old enough to drive.

A Crown Vic might fare better in a crash. Besides, it has a much more useful back seat.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
And we promised our Son a WRX if he graduates High school in National Honer Society! What have we done! After training gates all day, he will still be on the mtn! God I hope not. Amazing the capabilities of the Subie all-wheel drive!

And that video was super cool. I'm thinking I might get an Outback as my next vehicle....

I think I agree with GSS with regard to the content of his post but not with regard to his method of delivering his message! It was harsh...but nonetheless, I agree with its' premise.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm definitely in the camp of 'NO FREAKIN WAY' would I get my child a fast car. There's a reason he wants a WRX, to drive fast.

And the one with 'only' 265 horsepower is still a rocket ship.

I didn't have a car in High School, I borrowed my mom's. She had a 4 cylander Accord in the early 90's, my guess is the thing maybe had 150 horse power.

That car saw 100 mph every Saturday night on route 103 between Ludlow, VT and Rutland. If per chance I found myself on a long straight away on 91 like around Deerfield, Mass, it would see 120. No telling what kind of a trouble I might have gotten myself into with something like a WRX when I was 18.

SkiDork

I got to borrow my parents 1970 Buick Electra. Had a 455 in it but weighed about 7000 pounds. Nice back seat!!!!

Glenn

GSS for Grand Puba of Safety! Everyone drive a Focus and wear a helmet! You can still have a "safety meetings" though...since you're in a Focus and wearing a helmet, you'll be OK if you crash. This is for the benefit of our fellow skiers.

[/breaking balls]

;-)

mlctvt

+1 . Exactly what I found to be true. We have a 2005 WRX wagon and the insurance cost is much more than our 2005 Legacy GT wagon which is worth thousands more and has a more powerfull engine. The WRX insurance is even higher than our previous 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe which was worth twice the WRX. Also more than the Porsche we owned years ago too . And were old, both of us have 25-30 years of accident free driving. No way I'd buy a WRX for anyone under 21. Way too much power for any kid in my opinion. A stock 2009 WRX goes 0-60mph in 4.8 Sec and 5.5 secs for 2005 model year. Faster than just about anything on the road.
Be certain to invest in some performance and collision avoidance courses for your son. I'd highly recommend checking out the BMW club and SCCA offerings for any teenage driver.

wa-loaf

+1 . Exactly what I found to be true. We have a 2005 WRX wagon and the insurance cost is much more than our 2005 Legacy GT wagon which is worth thousands more and has a more powerfull engine. The WRX insurance is even higher than our previous 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe which was worth twice the WRX. Also more than the Porsche we owned years ago too . And were old, both of us have 25-30 years of accident free driving. No way I'd buy a WRX for anyone under 21. Way too much power for any kid in my opinion. A stock 2009 WRX goes 0-60mph in 4.8 Sec and 5.5 secs for 2005 model year. Faster than just about anything on the road.
Be certain to invest in some performance and collision avoidance courses for your son. I'd highly recommend checking out the BMW club and SCCA offerings for any teenage driver.

That's because the insurance cost is based more on how many get wrapped around trees and not the value of the car. Probably a pretty good target for theft too.

campgottagopee

Do you know this person's son???? If not, I'd shut the hell up on telling them what to do.

campgottagopee

Are we sure this kid already hasn't done that???? Maybe he's the next Indie 500 winner---love people telling others what to do when they have no clue about a person---geez