• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

For all you Scooby drivers......

mlctvt

Yah, that's gonna work.

I agree with that. It costs thousands of dollars to get a drivers license in Germany or even most of Europe where its more of a priveledge to drive than a "right". If you tried that in the US everyone would bitch and "We'd be hurting the poor." In the USA we have a god given right to buy the biggest vehicle we can and drive it the same time as we're eating, texting and watching Tv on our in dash DVD. :-D

mondeo

I agree with that. It costs thousands of dollars to get a drivers license in Germany or even most of Europe where its more of a priveledge to drive than a "right". If you tried that in the US everyone would bitch and "We'd be hurting the poor." In the USA we have a god given right to buy the biggest vehicle we can and drive it the same time as we're eating, texting and watching Tv on our in dash DVD. :-D
You don't need the classes, but driving tests need to be ramped up. Somehow, driving for 5 minutes around deserted suburban streets, parallel parking once and doing a 3 point turn qualifies you for driving in rush hour traffic in major metropolitan areas. Obviously you can't test people in actual cars in all situations, but we've gotta be able to get driving simulators that can do a pretty good job of supplementing a much more rigorous test.

Of course, classes and tougher testing won't do much to prevent kids from pushing the limits of their cars.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think a growing and equally deadly aspect of driving as inexperienced aggressive adolescent drivers in the US is our senior population. I'm sure the NCLU would have a field day with this one, but I feel that all drivers over the age of 65/70 should be required to take a driving test every 2 to 3 years. There are numerous elderly citizens that have no business being behind the wheel anymore. The challenge in revoking a license of such an individual is their loss of mobility. Perhaps those that face such a situation can be given tax credits towards public transportation usage above and beyond the senior discounts they already receive.

I think a growing and equally deadly aspect of driving as inexperienced aggressive adolescent drivers in the US is our senior population. I'm sure the NCLU would have a field day with this one, but I feel that all drivers over the age of 65/70 should be required to take a driving test every 2 to 3 years. There are numerous elderly citizens that have no business being behind the wheel anymore. The challenge in revoking a license of such an individual is their loss of mobility. Perhaps those that face such a situation can be given tax credits towards public transportation usage above and beyond the senior discounts they already receive.

I also agree with you..you should see all my 80something and even 90something customers who drive when they can hardly see and their reflexes are terrible. We've had customers crash into our utility pole at least 4 times and the last time was hard enough to bring down the entire poll..

anyway I have a customer...later

mondeo

Just go ahead and test everyone every 5 years. Makes it harder to claim age discrimination, just adds a minor hassle and expense every 5 years for everyone else.

campgottagopee

Good point DH, our family just went thru this with my 86 yo G-mother. She admittingly was deteriorating as a driver so turned her license, and as you can imagine wasn't an easy decision.

campgottagopee

Well, in Germany you have a road you can drive 200 MPH and it's legal-----if we had such a road I'd pay a grand for one too!!!!!

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
And it's easier to get a minivan on 3 wheels than an STI...

I know exactly what you're talking about. This was my ride my Junior and Senior year (faux wood panels and all :grin: ).

attachment.php

I could get that thing moving at a pretty good clip and it handled like crap.

Undeniable fact that the WRX is a rocket (and the STI is few steps higher). I was a responsible kid too but I loved to drive fast (and still do). IMHO - Stick to the base Impreza for your kid. Some cheap after market mods can still make for a good looking car but one that is somewhat less likely to end up wrapped around a tree.

campgottagopee

I know exactly what you're talking about. This was my ride my Junior and Senior year (faux wood panels and all :grin: ).

attachment.php

I could get that thing moving at a pretty good clip and it handled like crap.

Undeniable fact that the WRX is a rocket (and the STI is few steps higher). I was a responsible kid too but I loved to drive fast (and still do). IMHO - Stick to the base Impreza for your kid. Some cheap after market mods can still make for a good looking car but one that is somewhat less likely to end up wrapped around a tree.

Oh common!!!!! Isn't anyone old enough to of had a muscle car when they were 18???? WTF!!!! When I was 18 I had a 72 Nova w/ 327 built to the ass pumpin out 350 HP to the wheels----let the kid feel the breeze baby!!!!!

Its unbelieveable how this thread has grown. We may steer my son towards a Forester XT=224hp. I also believe in the liscensing in Germany. We have way too many people driving that should not be.

Unless your son is a closet lesbian(I am)..don't get him a Forester..lol..

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Oh common!!!!! Isn't anyone old enough to of had a muscle car when they were 18???? WTF!!!! When I was 18 I had a 72 Nova w/ 327 built to the ass pumpin out 350 HP to the wheels----let the kid feel the breeze baby!!!!!

The van was the family hand me down. The chicks didn't dig it.
Where I'm from all the cool kids have built up trucks (lift kits/big tires/loud exhaust). Very few muscle/performance cars. Muscle cars aren't particularly good in the snow and the school year around here has snow on the ground for 5+ of the 8 months. LOTS of hand-me-down Subarus at the high school.
The Forester is a good choice (if your son is starting a family and/or he is a Lesbian). My Wife and I just got one. At least it will be the XT so he won't be completely lame (and it is better for carrying skis :grin:).

campgottagopee

The van was the family hand me down. The chicks didn't dig it.
Where I'm from all the cool kids have built up trucks (lift kits/big tires/loud exhaust). Very few muscle/performance cars. Muscle cars aren't particularly good in the snow and the school year around here has snow on the ground for 5+ of the 8 months. LOTS of hand-me-down Subarus at the high school.
The Forester is a good choice (if your son is starting a family and/or he is a Lesbian). My Wife and I just got one. At least it will be the XT so he won't be completely lame (and it is better for carrying skis :grin:).

LOL---you mean your van wasn't a "Shagin' Wagon" :-D

campgottagopee

P.S. I've had my share of F250's w/ 4 inch lift kits and 38 inch Super Swampers----big trucks---vroom, vroom

mlctvt

I'm old enough. My first car was a '68 Chevelle that I dropped a 4-bolt main bearing 327 with 4bll Carb into. It got about 8 MPG but gas cost 56 cents/ gallon. Then I got a 66 Mustang GT and built that up too. All my friends had muscle cars. Roadrunners, GTOs, Novas, Barracuda’s, Challengers, Mustangs, Camaros, etc Not many Subarus back then, Subbys were strange looking cars driven by weird old people .
And yes we were honor students who loved to take these cars to their limits. Sh_t we were 16 and we had powerful cars…. We painted a 1/4 mile course on a local road and raced on Friday and Saturday nights. I got in 2 accidents the first 10 days I had my license. Driving 80+ MPH on bald race tires in the rain.... and my father taught the in School drivers ed program 

Unfortunately some of my friends are no longer with us. My High school only had 550 kids and in the 4 years I was there 13 died in auto accidents. Many involved alcohol,18 year old limit in those days.

campgottagopee

I'm old enough. My first car was a '68 Chevelle that I dropped a 4-bolt main bearing 327 with 4bll Carb into. It got about 8 MPG but gas cost 56 cents/ gallon. Then I got a 66 Mustang GT and built that up too. All my friends had muscle cars. Roadrunners, GTOs, Novas, Barracuda’s, Challengers, Mustangs, Camaros, etc Not many Subarus back then, Subbys were strange looking cars driven by weird old people .
And yes we were honor students who loved to take these cars to their limits. Sh_t we were 16 and we had powerful cars…. We painted a 1/4 mile course on a local road and raced on Friday and Saturday nights. I got in 2 accidents the first 10 days I had my license. Driving 80+ MPH on bald race tires in the rain.... and my father taught the in School drivers ed program 

Unfortunately some of my friends are no longer with us. My High school only had 550 kids and in the 4 years I was there 13 died in auto accidents. Many involved alcohol,18 year old limit in those days.

Yup, 18 drinking age here too---I'm not sure how many of my class mates died in auto accidents but I do remeber more than just a few, and most of them involved drinking.

Edd

That Forester XT is an even nicer car than the WRX. Way, way, better really. I'm in my thirties and I'm too cheap to treat myself to that trim level.

If a kid has a nice car just after high school..what do they have to look forward to....my base model Impreza is the nicest car I've ever owned..and it's fa fa fa fast with 170hp,,I swear I was going at least 75mph on 287 in Jersey and I was passed by an old lady in a van,..lol

Geoff

If a kid has a nice car just after high school..what do they have to look forward to....my base model Impreza is the nicest car I've ever owned..and it's fa fa fa fast with 170hp,,I swear I was going at least 75mph on 287 in Jersey and I was passed by an old lady in a van,..lol

Until the points vanish on my drivers license, I'm driving my 200 hp VW GTI at the speed limit with the cruise control on. As a life-long habitual speeder, it feels really strange to go 65 on an interstate highway.

My sister and my mom have both driven Subarus since the early 1970's. My mom traded a low mileage loaded Jeep Wagoneer with a huge Buick V-8 even up for a 'Baru wagon back in the gas crisis. My dad bought my sister a new wagon in 1973. I got the shitbox 1972 Ford Maverick hand-me-down my sister had crashed twice and nursed it all the way through high school & college. I got really good with stolen road signs & beer cans, a ball-peen hammer, pop rivets, and body putty.

The early Subarus imploded after around 60,000 miles just like every other car of that era. If you bought one now, you'd be pissed if anything in the drivetrain died before 150,000 miles. The advances in metallurgy and lubrication technology are impressive.

I prefer the interiors of European cars to Japanese cars. They're laid out for taller people. I always feel cramped driving a Subaru for any kind of distance. I will give Subaru credit that they're pretty much the only auto company that stood by the compact station wagon when everyone else abandonded it for sedans and crossover SUV platforms. I think a compact wagon or hatchback is the ideal daily driver. Good fuel economy. Good handling. Enough cargo capacity to be a good grocery getter. With a receiver hitch, you can pull a lawn & garden trailer for the Home Depot runs. With snow tires, even a FWD compact wagon has much better road manners than a heavy SUV on the typical plowed, snow-covered roads a skier sees.

Reminds me... my snow tires are sitting on the front porch. Gotta drag 'em into the basement before it starts looking like Appalachia around here.