• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Forget Snow: Alta is for $$$$$

thetrailboss

Staff member
They have just unveiled their new parking system that is in effect for weekend and holidays starting December 18-April 3rd and all I can say is that $$$$ is clearly the goal.

Why do I say that? Well, if you are visiting for a day and buy a lift ticket then parking is $10.00 for you. If you are using a voucher, a certain four-letter pass, or a reciprocal pass benefit, then you are charged $25.00 per day. Pay a premium for a multi-week ski school program or private lessons? Yep, you have to pay too. Call now to buy your "permit". Staying at a local lodge in town? Yep, still have to pay $25.00 (they coyly say, 'take it up with your lodge'. Such warm hospitality). Wanting to hike, access backcountry on public land, or skin up to your camp off of Albion Basin Road? Yep, $25.00 per day for use of the "Grizzly Lot" or area right before the winter gate on 210. They even have the balls to charge for parking in the "Flagstaff Lot" in downtown Alta. Forget about your reservation? $25.00. Park without paying? $75.00. It is all about the $$$$.

My family did Alta-Bird this year and we still have yet to receive our promised "codes" to get our free reservations. I read that we are supposed to get them "early-November".

Any bets as to how long those free reservations get taken?

Now there (hopefully) will be some benefits. One will be less cars in the Canyon and less congestion early morning. Except Snowbird is not doing reservations. Again, why can't Snowbird and Alta coordinate on anything? Second, the reservations only apply from 8am-1pm. So afternoon skiers can come. Third, the (increased and free) bus service is still an option. Fourth, the system is only in place on about 40 or so days. But those are prime days and every weekend.

I seriously wonder if they have the staff to enforce this. Their flashy site is hosted by a parking vendor. Perhaps that vendor is going to staff the lots.

This will really piss off the Town and locals. I get it is meant to change behavior but it is evident that they want the money. S.J. Quinney, Alf Engen, and James Laughlin are all rolling in their graves. I am appalled at how commercialized Alta has become in such a short time.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
No snowboarders screwing up the bumps though! 😆

Seems to me from a distance there's just no economically and environmentally feasible solution to improve the Alta/Bird commute. No one idea has caught fire.

• Haha
Reactions: JFP

thetrailboss

Staff member
No snowboarders screwing up the bumps though! 😆

Seems to me from a distance there's just no economically and environmentally feasible solution to improve the Alta/Bird commute. No one idea has caught fire.
True on both accounts.

And are there any eastern areas that have paid parking reservations on holidays/weekends? Methinks no.

deadheadskier

Staff member
True on both accounts.

And are there any eastern areas that have paid parking reservations on holidays/weekends? Methinks no.

Mt Snow will likely be the first for reserved paid parking. Their system for this winter seems to be the most aggressive money grubbing program out here.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Some of their parking or all of their parking?

Well, it's "some" now, but you show up late and you will have to pay. As I understand it all of the close parking is fee based on busy days. The best parking is fee based no matter what day. The outer lots are free, BUT, once they fill up you have to use a pay lot.

In the future it very well could be "all".

I'm guessing ski areas are simply looking at all large participation events and following suit. You go to an amusement park, you pay to park. Go to a football game, you pay to park.

snoseek

What about the people working up there? Not all live on the mountain.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
What about the people working up there? Not all live on the mountain.
Who knows......

I was told employees will get some type of parking pass but was still pretty up in the air. Oddly enough I haven't heard anything... I would've kinda figured they'd let us know by know what the scoop is, three weeks from opening day.

I don't want to take an opinion on a topic I've yet to experience...LCC/BCC traffic. But, my 2,000 mile away perspective is that paid parking/reservations are supposed to suck. If there's too many people coming up the road, make them not want to come or encourage them to take the bus. If 1 out of 20 vehicles says "f it I'm not gonna pay to park" and they find an alternative to do on a mid-winter Saturday...good. If 1 out of 20 vehicles decides to take themselves up to AltaBird on the bus...good. If the mountain can make money on the other 18 vehicles still going up the canyon...good. I do certainly understand anyone frustrated with the system. @thetrailboss it would suck getting your small children up to the hill without taking your personal vehicle... I get that.

jimmywilson69

America has a Car problem and the Cottonwood Canyons are a prime example of it. i'm guilty of it myself. Hell my wife and I work together and 99% of the time drive 2 cars to our office 3.5 miles away.

I don't know what the solution is and peoples habits are hard to break. Mine included...

deadheadskier

Staff member
America has a Car problem and the Cottonwood Canyons are a prime example of it. i'm guilty of it myself. Hell my wife and I work together and 99% of the time drive 2 cars to our office 3.5 miles away.

I don't know what the solution is and peoples habits are hard to break. Mine included...

A 3.5 mile break from the wife seems like a more than reasonable carbon expense to me. Is there a scenic route? 🤔

Edd

What’s happening with parking at Alta, I get. Mt Snow charging $15 for parking in lot C on a Tuesday is a pure money grab. There’s no problem being addressed.