• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Future of Snowmaking

The part of the article I found interesting was about making snow in the right places at the right time. Certain portions of a trail will always last longer than others due to sun and wind exposure, pitch, what's underneath and the shape underneath, etc. Seems like this doesn't get much attention now.[/QUOTE]

true!

tumbler

Automation has been around in snowmkaing for 20+ years. Sugarbush used to have quite a bit of it and ripped it all out. York system on Murphy's, Birland and Steins. A different system on OG, Downspout, Fling, Hot Shot, Birch. The biggest problem is getting each setup to drain the water out of the hoses to prevent freezing. Someone also has to be there to check that everything is connected and check that the gun is making the proper snow. If you still need the staff there to check on start up and shut down and check snow quality then it's a waste. The automation of the snowmaking plant to remote start pumps, compressors, etc was the biggest gain imo.

Glenn

I always thought it would be cool if the actual snow maker (gun/fangun) had temp and humidity sensors on it and could adjust the mix as required.

Newpylong

I always thought it would be cool if the actual snow maker (gun/fangun) had temp and humidity sensors on it and could adjust the mix as required.

The new ones do exactly that. The Lenko Titans (and I am sure others) have on-board weather stations and can run fully or semi automated. You tell it the snow quality you are looking for and it will adjust output based on wet bulb and available water pressure. If the pressure goes below 170 psi they shut down on their own to prevent freeze up. You pay a premium for the functionality.

dlague

The new ones do exactly that. The Lenko Titans (and I am sure others) have on-board weather stations and can run fully or semi automated. You tell it the snow quality you are looking for and it will adjust output based on wet bulb and available water pressure. If the pressure goes below 170 psi they shut down on their own to prevent freeze up. You pay a premium for the functionality.

They discuss one that heavenly uses that is controlled also from a phone that displays all of the weather data. A gun cost about $40K.

Glenn

Certainly some cool technology. I'm sure someone is working on a self driving groomer. That's gonna take some computing horsepower.

Rogman

Automation for snow making is a poor use of limited capital. Snow making is a minimum wage job that only lasts a few months a year. The yearly savings don't work. Where robotics work is when something needs to be done 365 days/24 hours. Much faster ammortization.

That said, the speed with which an automated system can come on line can be an advantage when trying to take advantage of short snow making windows. An automated system may also be better able to adapt to rapidly changing conditions. Snow makers can take an hour or more to walk the line.

Comparisons between a K3000 and a really low E gun are ridiculous. The snow logics that line Killington's Superstar use so little air that it is feasible to have a normal conversation right next to them. However, I'd much rather ski under a K3000 than almost any low E gun.

Glenn

I find the low e guns put out a pretty wet product. If you ski into that snow while the gun is running, you'll really feel it; slows you down quite a bit.

jimmywilson69

Less Air = Less nucleation

My local hill has automated fan gun systems.Still requires manual labor. For 1, they don't leave the hoses connected, so to bring the system online,some one has to walk the hydrants and connect and turn on the valve. They have "smart" valves" but for whatever reason the crew chooses to disconnect the hoses when they are done making snow.

From what I have observed there is little they do during production other than making sure the guns are positioned properly. Although some do have an oscillation feature. The fan guns do have onboard compressors for the small amount of air they required, and that mix does appear to be "automated". These systems definitely work better than the non-automated Highlands fan guns that are elsewhere on the mountain.

When conditions are marginal though they roll with good ole fashion air hogs. We have newer ratniks and older omichron guns that do rather well, but they need a lot of baby sitting.