• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

GMC rant

Geoff

I drive a lot of Hyundais when I travel.. I like them too...

I've had quite a few Korean rental cars. I'm really cramped in them. Hertz has been giving me Camrys. Really boring but I at least fit in them better.

deadheadskier

Staff member
interesting

thought the Sonata had more interior volume than the Camry.

Apparently Hyundai is considering a wagon model for the Sonata. If they do in 3 years when I'm due for to replace my current Sonata, I'll be interested. If not, probably the Elantra Touring.

Had my Sonata for 3.5 years and 110K miles now. So far, so good. Not the most exciting ride, but maintenance and repairs have been minimal. Might look into a Mazda 6, but Hyundais do considerably better on gas mileage, which is important when you drive as much as I do.

snoseek

I could care less where the car is made as long as:

A. it needs minimal maitenence
B. it gets really good mileage
C. will run to at least 200-250k
D. I don't have to finance one dime to purchase. (I will never take out a car loan again, paying interest on something that depreciates in value so fast seems painful)

This criteria eliminates a lot of American vehicles I think.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Might look into a Mazda 6, but Hyundais do considerably better on gas mileage, which is important when you drive as much as I do.
My dad is on his 6th Mazda and couldn't be happier. He's a route salesman for Entenmann's so he drives from the NW Corner to Stamford every day but also does merchandising in the Bronx with his car...puts A LOT of miles on his vehicles. Every Mazda he has owned has gone well over 200K miles without any major issues. Let's see...there were 2 pickup trucks, 2 626s, some sports model whose name eludes me at the moment, and now he has a 6. One of the 626s went on to my brother who brought it up in the high 200s before he killed it in a crash.

powbmps

Who's the lame ass that started this thread anyway?

Oh wait........

deadheadskier

Staff member
My dad is on his 6th Mazda and couldn't be happier. He's a route salesman for Entenmann's so he drives from the NW Corner to Stamford every day but also does merchandising in the Bronx with his car...puts A LOT of miles on his vehicles. Every Mazda he has owned has gone well over 200K miles without any major issues. Let's see...there were 2 pickup trucks, 2 626s, some sports model whose name eludes me at the moment, and now he has a 6. One of the 626s went on to my brother who brought it up in the high 200s before he killed it in a crash.

oh, I'm a fan of Mazda for sure. Bought me err my wife :lol: a Mazda3 Hatchback last fall.

It's really a function of warranty and gas mileage that sways me towards Hyundai. New Sonata gets 35mpg vs 29 for the Mazda6. That 6 mpg is a big difference in the wallet when you put 30K miles a year on a car. On warranty, Hyundai goes to 100K on everything. Believe Mazda only goes to 48, maybe 60K. Hyundai even replaced a failing power steering pump for me free of charge at 103K. Just rolled back the mileage on the paperwork to 99K and this wasn't the dealership I bought the car at. Thought that was pretty cool.

when it comes to driving enjoyment, no question Mazda is more fun. Though they are softening a bit. V6 no longer available in a manual. :smash:

Geoff

interesting

thought the Sonata had more interior volume than the Camry.

Volume doesn't have anything to do with seat positioning. My tiny econobox VW GTI doesn't feel cramped. I have tons of leg room and head room. My left elbow isn't jammed against the door. There are lots of 6-footer Germans so the car is engineered accordingly. I have less room driving my Mountaineer with ininite interior volume.

In my personal experience, most Japanese and Korean cars don't fit me and appear to be engineered for people 6' tall or less. Camry is an exception. Not that I love Camrys but I can at least spend 3 hours in one without it killing me. I keep trying to buy Japanese to get the reliability and I've found that you have to get into their luxury class cars before I fit in them.

Glenn

Will put on the first 100,000 on my GMC by the end of next weekend and i think i might have to put on new shocks. I mean really, you have to change shocks at 100k What a P.O.S.

Are you be sarcastic? I just want to be sure before say anything.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Drove the new Jeep Grand Cherokee the other day and all I can say is WOW. They have come a long way! But even with my work discount, the lease prices are HORRIBLE! The residual values on American cars still stink. Guess I will be leasing a Acura for almost 100$ bucks a month less!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Drove the new Jeep Grand Cherokee the other day and all I can say is WOW. They have come a long way! But even with my work discount, the lease prices are HORRIBLE! The residual values on American cars still stink. Guess I will be leasing a Acura for almost 100$ bucks a month less!
Read that contract carefully. Tax time always brought out a lot of unhappy lessees in the Assessor's Office. Many had to pay a different tax amount to the lessor (some calculate an average tax rate for the state and charge it to all) and would be up in arms about it. Then they would start pouring out the other complaints they had about leasing, usually ending in, "I'm never leasing a car again!"

I have never leased, but I've heard enough of these complaints to be very wary of the process.

ctenidae

We're on leases 3 adn 4- no worries so far. Saab, Acura, MB, and Porsche, so maybe it's American companies that are screwing people on taxes.We get billed the actual amount of the excise tax. Best part is, you can pay it down over time rather than having a big tax bill due all at once. Downside to the taxes on leases is that just about the time the assessment starts to fall, you have to get a new car, which boosts the tax amount again. Oh well.

WJenness

Volume doesn't have anything to do with seat positioning. My tiny econobox VW GTI doesn't feel cramped. I have tons of leg room and head room. My left elbow isn't jammed against the door. There are lots of 6-footer Germans so the car is engineered accordingly. I have less room driving my Mountaineer with ininite interior volume.

In my personal experience, most Japanese and Korean cars don't fit me and appear to be engineered for people 6' tall or less. Camry is an exception. Not that I love Camrys but I can at least spend 3 hours in one without it killing me. I keep trying to buy Japanese to get the reliability and I've found that you have to get into their luxury class cars before I fit in them.

This is so true.

I'm a tall guy (6'4") and used to getting in a car to drive and having to move the drivers seat ALL the way back, and then my legs will usually fit.

In my A4 and my girlfriend's Jetta that we just got, I actually have to move the seat forward from the very back of it's travel. It's kind of nice.

The same can not be said of my friends' Yaris, Mitsubishi Eclipse, and Mazda 3 I've driven in the past.

I've never driven a korean car, so I can't really comment there.

My previous car was a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am, and that did have plenty of leg room for me as well.

-w

bvibert

Staff member
This is so true.

I'm a tall guy (6'4") and used to getting in a car to drive and having to move the drivers seat ALL the way back, and then my legs will usually fit.

In my A4 and my girlfriend's Jetta that we just got, I actually have to move the seat forward from the very back of it's travel. It's kind of nice.

The same can not be said of my friends' Yaris, Mitsubishi Eclipse, and Mazda 3 I've driven in the past.

I've never driven a korean car, so I can't really comment there.

My previous car was a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am, and that did have plenty of leg room for me as well.

-w

Yeah, it is nice to not have to put the seat all the way back in VW cars. I'm also 6'4", the only VW that I had trouble fitting into the driver's seat of was the Scirroco. And that was more because my big legs rubbed on the steering wheel while I was driving, if it had a tilt steering column it would have been no problem.